PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Nakul, why do you imagine gas props have a rpm limit? I have to believe we’re stressing electric props way beyond there intended performance range.
    Dave

Wildthing likes this.
  2. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Scott, very interesting. Fewer winding, lower resistance, higher KV. Lower resistance makes sense as the wire is thinker on a motor with fewer windings.

Dave

Wildthing likes this.
  3. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

''Glow Engine (includes Sport and Pattern Propellers) and Speed 400 Electric Propellers
    Maximum RPM=190,000/prop diameter (inches)''

as per Apc Propeller website
    https://www.apcprop.com/technical-information/rpm-limits/

Wildthing likes this.
  4. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Nakul, thank you. So a limit of 31k rpm for a 6” prop and that’s about the theoretical speed of a 6”prop with a 2700 KV motor and a 4s battery. Good to know. Thanks again!
    Dave

5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I now have 37 flights on my new BeeRotor Z2207 2780 Kv motor from RC Timer :)
    2017-10-30 11.07.27.jpg
    Yesterday I put it through a bit of a "torture test" with lots of high speed runs, full throttle vertical climb outs and lots of aggressive throttle movements where I would chop the throttle and then immediately advance it to full to see how the motor responds.

It was quite cool again yesterday, max temp was 14C/57 F, so the motor never got warm even with all the full throttle runs and climb outs. It never hesitated, skipped or caused any problems when I was aggressively thrashing the throttle around, so that is all good news, it is really a very strong, smooth motor thus far :)

I have decided as you can see in the picture above that although it is not quite as efficient as the 6x3 EMP prop that the 6x4 APC prop is my favorite with this motor. I guess it all boils down to personal preference, to me it just seems that although not as fast at mid range as the 6x3 EMP, the plane seems to hold it's energy in maneuvers a little better in the mid throttle range with the 6x4 APC. I'm excited to see if the 6x4 APC gas props I am waiting for will make an even greater improvement in performance :)

Cheers,

Scott

homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

SCOTT, doing the WORK!

The lens flare and the flight video is,... BUTTERY!

You need to grunt, strain, maybe sigh 3-4 times per minute and use a few colorful metaphors while flying so newcomers won’t think it’s really that easy. :)

Did I really say it was buttery?

7. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I know this isn't exactly about park jet motor testing, but rcplanepirate just left a comment on one of my latest You Tube videos letting me know that two quad racing motors from Hobby King just went on sale. :)

I think I may have mentioned I wanted to try the Multistar Viking 2208 2600 based on RCPP's recommendation, but it was a bit pricey at $27.06 USD, but the price just dropped to $16.10 at the Global Warehouse anyway. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multist...runner-drone-racing-motor-2208-2600kv-cw.html
    multistar viking 2208 2600.jpg

Their promo writeup is a bit corny, but made me smile...

"Just like their namesake, the Viking Motors are ready to Raid, Pillage and Plunder.
    From the outset, Multistar set about designing a motor that would genuinely crush the competition. Working with the world’s best pilots, MultiStar set about developing a range of motors that give you the edge over the competition. Vikings of Nordic legend were greatly feared due to their sheer brutality and Team Multistar continues this tradition by striking fear in the hearts and minds of would-be drone pilots’ world over. Viking motors are the motor of choice for the 2016 Drone Racing World Champion, Shaun "NYTFury" Taylor.
    So, Join the halls of Valhalla where the brave live forever."

On RCPP's recommendation, I also ordered a DYS MR2205 2750 Kv motor which is also on sale at the Global Warehouse anyway https://hobbyking.com/en_us/dys-mr2205-2750kv-250-size-quad-motor-cw.html regular $15.00 USD, on sale for $8.60. I've had very good luck with the DYS BE2208/7 2600 Kv motor with several of my planes, so I'm hoping this one will be of the same quality.
    dys 2205 2750.jpg
    Order won't be here for several weeks, but I'll get testing them as soon as they arrive.

Looking forward to seeing how these little beauties perform with some standard park jet style 6" props :)

Cheers,

Scott

8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, FBK, I'll see what I can do, as an old guy I do a lot of grunting, groaning and sighing for no reason anyway, so that shouldn't be too hard ;) Buttery...why do I all of a sudden want popcorn?!

Cheers,

Scott

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  9. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Did someone say popcorn ;)

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I think multistar popped all the corn with that write up:D

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Scott,
    As I am lazy and don`t want to go through all your info, I would like to know which ONE of the latest racing quad motors you would recommend as best bang for buck, Ta.

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Ha! Yeah it did sound like a Halloween Creature double feature.

13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Don’t know what Scott might recommend but I like these DYS motors in general.

I posted some info on one awhile back in this thread.
    Bimo got me started using them.

I have one on FRC’s MiG 2.44 throwing a 6x4x3 MasterAirScrew Prop, it’s a good dependable motor.

The multi star quad racing motor on sail now at HK looks to have good specs with a “Pop Corn” write up :)

I will probably buy one just so I can fly Buttery like Scott. :p

14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,
    I looked at the multi star Jolly Green Giant Viking killer motor but could not find any prop recommendations in the description or specs.

It says 630watt 39amps but on what Prop?

Hmmm, there must be a Prop rec somewhere, I must have miss it.

USA warehouse has it for $24 and change.

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I don`t think it is the plane or motor that gives that dairy quality but the hours spent flying.
    Practice makes buttery and I don`t get the weather to make even milkmaid status.:)

16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Dennie -

You might find the answer you seek in this video

rcplanepirate (RCPP) has tested several different quad style racing motors, so I asked him for his recommendation for the best choice to swing a 6" prop on 3S that might be of use to some folks in the park jet community building a standard single motor/mid mount/prop in slot design. He recommended the Multistar Viking 2208 2600. I like that it does have a high amp rating, so should be able to swing a fairly wide range of park jet style props on 3 or 4S. I will only be testing on 3S as I don't have any 4S batteries.

Cheers,

Scott

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Ian -

Based on the two quad motors I have tested thus far, in my opinion the RC Timer FR2205 2550 Kv motor http://rctimer.com/product-1575.html is probably the "best bang for the buck" compared to the BeeRotor Z2207 2780 Kv motor http://rctimer.com/product-1734.html for the following reasons:

- cheaper ($10.99 USD vs $16.99);
    - not as powerful, but more efficient (using a 6x4 APC prop as standard, it draws 28.5A as opposed to 34.7A);
    - lighter (motor is 6 gr lighter than the Z2207 and being that I can use a 30A ESC with all the props I use on 3S, I end up with a motor/ESC combo that is about 14 gr/0.5 oz lighter than the Z2207 with a 40A ESC. Also, because it is more efficient, it would be more suitable for smaller, lighter batteries and should still give decent flight times, again lightening your all up flying weight); and
    - more versatile (can efficiently swing a wider range of props up to and including the Master Airscrew 6x4x3).

Some lessons learned thus far -

- although on "paper" the numbers might show an equal or better performance than the park jet standard 2212 2200 Kv motor setup, due to their small size, these quad motors do not have the torque/"oomph" to handle much extra weight, drag or wind resistance. In other words, folks should be careful thinking they are a one for one swap with a 2212 2200 Kv setup;
    - To avoid disappointment, I would recommend folks build a plane from the ground up knowing they are going to use one of these small motors rather than just dropping them into an existing plane where they might have been using a 2212 2200 Kv setup. If the quad motor ends up not working out, it is easier to drop a 2212 2200 Kv motor in and have fun rather than trying to go the other way;
    - best to select a plane that can be built light (no more than 21 oz/595 gr AUW), is a naturally sleek and efficient airframe (perhaps like a Mig/Su/delta wing or flying wing) of 27"/685 mm wingspan or less;
    - trim the front of the prop slot down, given that the "can" on these motors is about half the length of the 2212, I trim at least 1/4" off the leading edge of most park jet plans to give the prop more room not only for efficiency but for noise reduction; and
    - unfortunately, regardless of the airframe, if the wind is above 10 mph/15 kmh, the lack of "oomph" in these little motors can make them work far too hard to have a really fun flying experience.

Anyone choosing to use the FR2205 specifically, based on mine and other's experience, I recommend removing the label from the motor before use. It tends to peel off very quickly and in flight could easily foul the prop and/or motor.

While a bit of a challenge when using them in a standard single motor/mid mount/prop in slot park jet, as some designers and builders have already shown, they make excellent choices for twin motor setups.

As my other three quad motors I have ordered arrive, I will continue the bench and field testing and provide my recommendations on what motors might be suitable for what use.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,

Scott

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for your reply. It is what I wanted to hear as I have so many 2212 and 2826 2200 motors.
    I have found some quad motors on hobby king but they are not as powerful as the one you quoted.
    They are the multistar 2205 2350 with built in ESC at £3.80 a piece, as I am a cheap skate I have gone for 4 of these to make light weight twin motor planes. Not having to accommodate a separate ESC will save weight and room in smaller builds, but the down side is if the ESC goes down yer knackered.
    I will be able to sleep at night knowing the quad motors are probably just a fad to spend more money on.
    Once again thank you for all the info you make readily available.
    Cheers,
    Ian.

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  19. rhodenga500

rhodenga500 Ace Pilot

20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi rhodenga -

Sorry, this is a smart aleck remark, but I would say that yes it is a quad motor, there is a picture of a quad with four of these motors on it when I clicked on your link :)

I personally have not tested it in a park jet, but I'm sure it could be adapted for use in one.

It appears the best performance would be on 4-6S and then you would have to play around with props a bit. I clicked on this link, there is a lot of test data, all which appears to have been done with a 4S battery based on the voltage http://www.miniquadtestbench.com/assets/components/motordata/motorinfo.php?uid=168

I would be interested to know if the hole pattern on the little "X" mount on the motor would match the hole pattern on a standard park jet "X" mount, otherwise it might be a bit of a challenge to put in a park jet.

Based on the reviews, it seems like a tough, powerful motor, good luck :)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.