PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. COOL. :)

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Just back from the field doing some field testing with the RC Timer FR2205 2550 Kv motor and an assortment of props listed below.

As sometimes happens, the bench test data as listed in post #716 above didn't translate directly to what I saw at the field:confused:

Here are the the props I tested with this motor from my favorite to least favorite based on what I saw at the field -

1. Master Airscrew 6x4x3,
    2. 6x4 APC,
    3. 6x3 EMP and
    4. RC Timer 6x3x3 carbon.

Surprisingly, despite fairly low thrust numbers on the bench, the 6x4 APC showed excellent performance in the air. I have a video processing showing how my plane performed with this prop as pretty much everyone who flies a park jet has one of these props so I thought it worthwhile.:) I will shoot video with the MAS 6x4x3 next time out.

Personally, I would give the slight edge to the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop, it's mid range performance (between about 60-75% throttle where I spend about 90+% of my time) was better than the 6x4 APC. I have flown hundreds of flights with this prop on a couple other different motors, so perhaps it boils down to personal preference.

However, if you don't want to spend the money ($4.93 USD for one prop before shipping direct from Master Airscrew), the 6x4 APC prop is a great choice for this motor from what I saw today, but I would run it with a 40A ESC to be safe as it would push a 30A ESC pretty hard without good throttle management.

The 6x3 EMP prop had good acceleration, was the loudest of all the props I tested but seemed at top speed to "want another gear" so to speak, it certainly didn't have the top end that the 6x4 APC and MAS 6x4x3 props do, probably due to having less pitch. It is the most efficient from a standpoint of amp draw, but it lacked performance for what I was looking for.

The RC Timer 6x3x3 prop was a disappointment, it seems the more often I test motors with this prop it really isn't that well suited for park jets, acceleration is great, but lacking on the top end, perhaps due to prop drag as the blades are a bit wide compared to the MAS 6x4x3.

Overall, I am quite impressed with this motor, it definitely "punches above it's weight". With the MAS 6x4x3 prop, it is on par with the DYS 2600 Kv motor, about 10% better than the 2212 2200 Kv motors with the same prop. With the 6x4 APC, it is certainly at least 10% faster than the 2212 2200 Kv motors and is much lighter, 23 gr/0.8 oz which might also account for some of the performance improvement when everything else is equal.

I did notice in the first couple flights it was really loud, with the motor being so short, the prop was only about 1/4" from the leading edge of the prop slot, so I tried an experiment and put a couple washers between the prop and the motor, so it is now about 3/8" from the edge of the prop slot and the noise level dropped considerably:)
    2017-04-27 14.20.05.jpg
    Even though I was pushing the motor close to 30A (the motor is rated at 32A) on a regular basis, it ran very cool. It was a cooler day today, temp was 10C/50F, but I think because of all the cooling vents in the motor it helps make it lighter and run cooler.

From what I saw today, I will continue to keep an eye on these lightweight, powerful quad racing motors for park jet use. It makes sense as that is such a large part of the hobby now and some very small, light yet powerful motors are being developed for that application that I think will work well in park jets within a certain weight range.:)

I'll upload the video when it is complete.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Video uploaded a little faster than I expected:)

Cheers,

Scott

4. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

Quad motor I picked up.Can swing a 5,6,or 7 inch prop on 4s.T-motor explosive power,should be interesting to find out.

Attached Files:

Wildthing, Flybyknight22 and e3_Scott like this.
  5. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Should be interesting to test this for sure. Keep us posted if you do, i always had ideas of using quad motors on these jets, it this can swing 6x4 or 6x5.5 on 4s and still stay cool, that would be a rocket setup.

Wildthing and TacticalFlight like this.
  6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I managed to shoot a little more flight test video using the RC timer FR2205 2500 Kv motor, this time swinging the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop which is my favorite with this little powerhouse:)

As mentioned in the video, I ordered a couple more of these motors to keep things light and they seem to run really cool which will be good as the summer months approach:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

That's a spiffy looking little motor!

MAS prop looks good on it.

e3_Scott likes this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I was out putting this "tiny but mighty" motor through some serious punishment today:)
    2017-04-27 14.20.05.jpg
    After I have a couple dozen flights on a motor as a bit of a "break in", I like to put it through a bit of a "torture test" where I will do several high speed runs, pulling into the vertical for a vertical climb out, keeping full throttle on for 10-15 seconds several times during consecutive flights. This puts a serious workload on the motor, so I'm looking to see if it continues to run strong through the testing and doesn't come down overly hot.

I will also be very aggressive slamming the throttle from zero to 100% several times to see how the motor responds to the sudden changes of power.

I am very pleased to say this little beast held up to the punishment and ran like a champ no matter what I did to it:). I have 38 total flights on this motor now and it is running very smooth and strong. The temperature was a bit warmer today than in previous sessions, 20C/68 F, but the motor still ran very cool even with all I put it through over eight very torturous flights:rolleyes:

I'll continue testing it over the coming weeks to see how it's durability is over time, but I think this is an excellent lightweight motor that provides lots of power for it's size and can take a lot of punishment.:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I have been watching a few of this fellow's videos on You Tube and I am now subscribed to him, "rcplanepirate". I haven't watched the whole video just yet, but he is putting the Propdrive V2 3000 Kv motor through it's paces with several different props on 3S, 4S and even 5S.:) Interesting stuff! He has also done some testing on different EDF setups.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  10. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

I love his Videos, super nice guy and doing so many interesting tests, watch all his stuff! :)

Wildthing likes this.
  11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Wildthing likes this.
  12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I now have about 85 flights using the RC Timer FR2205 2550Kv motor http://rctimer.com/product-1575.html :)

Here it is in the Mig-35B I built entirely of Dollar Tree foam and where it has lived for these 85 flights.
    2017-08-29 10.54.42.jpg
    I updated my testing post on the NAMC blog where you can read about my impressions of this motor and it's long term durability and performance across a wide spectrum of flight conditions. http://www.migsrus.com/blog/bench-and-field-testing-of-the-rc-timer-fr2205-2550kv-motor

Cheers,

Scott

Splashballz and Wildthing like this.
  13. I didn't do any bench testing but going to try out the new cheap RaceStar 2212 2450kv motor from Bangood. I have been using their 1400kv motor in my PI P38 and so far they are holding up.

14. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Hey guys, not really a motor post but related. Just wanted to share with you all how powerful this FMS 12 Blade Edf is. My AUW is about 970 grams but this edf unit hand launches this near 1kg jet no problem, I don't even need to go full throttle as you can hear from the sound :)

Flybyknight22, e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I wanted to write a bit of a post on my durability and "quality control" experiences with a couple of my favorite motors.

Since Bimo introduced me to it about a year ago maybe (?), I have been running five of the DYS 2208/8 2600 Kv motors in several of my planes. https://www.banggood.com/DYS-BE2208...or-High-Torque-For-RC-Airplanes-p-941621.html

I run it pretty much exclusively with the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop on 3S using a 40A ESC.
    2016-09-30 10.07.53.jpg
    Of the 5, four have worked flawlessly through some real aggressive flying, the first two I bought have well over 100 flights each on them and still work like new. All of them have at least 50+ flights on them. As sometimes happens, one of the five does not run quite as smoothly, I have examined it closely and I think the bearings are not as good as the other four, it runs about 80% less powerful at the top end than the other four. Perhaps it came from a different production run than the others, I will keep it for parts.

The other motor I have been using a lot is the Banggood XXD 2212/6 2200 Kv motor, I bought three of them and have run them a lot when testing new planes. I have well over 50 flights on each of them, with the 6x4 APC prop and Master Airscrew 6x4x3. https://www.banggood.com/XXD-A2212-...H365-For-RC-Airplane-Quadcopter-p-909081.html
    2017-09-09 08.13.47.jpg

For the price, the Banggood motor has run very strong and consistent for me, and has become my "go to" 2212 2200 Kv motor for my park jets, price ($4.99 USD at time of writing this post) isn't bad either although shipping as usual does take forever :/ I realize I might have been lucky and got three from a good production run, but they all run stronger than any of my Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv motors, not by a lot, but noticeable.

I have written short reviews on both these motors on the Banggood website, these opinions are based purely on my experiences :)

Cheers,

Scott

Nakul, Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  16. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Hi everyone,

I could never get a proper video in the past of my funjet ultra speed setup so thought ill post the motor specs here if anyone is intersted.

HET 2W30 Inrunner
    4s 2700 60c lipo
    7x5 apc sport (gas) prop
    I'm guessing the speed is near 140 - 150 mph :D
    I have scope to go up to 5s & 6s on same motor by slightly reducing prop size. Going to stick to 4s for now till i master the low passes on this speed. Have asked guys on rcgroups to help doppler the speed, lets see what comes out. :)

Wildthing likes this.
  17. I found a 2200kv but not a 2700 one? Pricey little guys but it sure does perform. :)

18. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

2W25 = 2700kv
    2w27 = 2500Kv
    2w30 = 2200kv
    As per the manual the 2w30 i'm using is an 8S lipo 70mm edf motor. I could have gone for higher kv but prop size would have gone down and i would end up with similar setup i had before NTM Prop drive 3000kv with 5" prop on 4s.

The whole idea is the Funjet weights 1100 grams now with 2700 4s lipo, so on 4s i can go upto 7x6 & maybe 7x7 apc sport prop for more speed. Then later i can go to 5s Lipo and use APC PYlon props 6.5x6.5 / 6.5 x 6 and if i choose to go 6s i should be able to run 6" prop.

Launching is huge challenge with this funjet, it has crazy torque roll and no way u can launch a 1.5kg 6s funjet with gentle throttle lol
    check out in this video how they launch it at 1:06

Lot of troubles but in the end one high speed pass and you have a rush like no other haha. This jet tracks so so locked in, need good high torque digital servos also. Absolute fun and a headturner at the field lol

HET 28mm inrunner motor link
    http://www.highendrc.com/index_ecat.php?cPath=8

pricey yeah! But its like one time investment and lot of fun in the long run and allows u to grow on the speed :)

Wildthing likes this.
  19. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Also this was my brand new funjet maiden launch crash with ntm 3000 on 3s lol

Wildthing likes this.
  20. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Have you tested this motor yet? They say its 6s capable

Wildthing likes this.