PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Well, hmmmm, that looks,....

FREAKIN AMAZING!

2. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Wild,

You and Your 3-D printer are the SHIZ!

3. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Well heck, snapping it would be the best test of all.

Let's you know you got a honking Bad to the bone motor/prop!

4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

This test jig adapter that you have designed and built really is excellent Jeff!

This thing fits the Stand perfectly.

Some of the EDF only test stands I have seen out there are $200 and up. With your adapter and the standard Turnigy Thrust Stand (for about $59) you can test both props and EDFs accurately and easily.

This is a very well done piece of kit!

I LOVE IT!

5. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Good idea that. Will see how it handles the first test, outside, pointing down the garden ;)

bimoadiprakoso, lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  6. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

OK, so the thrust stand has been tested and it seems to work really well!

Did a first test with the DYS D3536/8 1000kv motor (same as in the Gee Bee) and APC 11x8E prop.

50% throttle pulled 995g at 115W and 10.2A
    100% throttle pulled 2005g at 389W and 35.1A

Good numbers and pretty much bang on the money according to ECalc.

Next test was with the current prop on the Gee Bee which is a GWS/EPC 11x7.

50% throttle pulled 840g at 94W and 8.2A.
    100% throttle pulled 1800g (+/- 5g) at 346W and 31A

Guess which prop is going back on the GeeBee... ;)

bimoadiprakoso, lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  7. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Hello guys,

I have been doing a lot of digging for very high performance motors recently. Mostly for my funjet ultra. where the motor goes inside the exhaust round plastic thing, so the best options are to have an inrunner motor. Although i have used the NTM 3000 & Paidiss 35000kv without any problems, i was restricted to using tiny props like 4.75 x 4.75 which did give me good speed but not as much as expected. I found out lot of guys are running really high end motors like MEGA, and some running the HET Edf motors. After a lot of digging i decided to go for the HET 2W30 (Photo & link attached) Its rated for 85A and 1600 watts. can run 3 to 6s but best would be 4s to 6s. 2200KV, Weight is 130 Grams.

From the data i collected, the guys are able to run a prop as big as apc SPORT 7X6, 7X7, 7X5 etc on 4s setup. Battery should be able to deliver to 80A constant, with this they are getting some insane thrust + speed. I learnt that the prop does not have to go down in size when speed is needed, which also depends on the airframe ofc. I will be able to run Graupner cam speed 6x6, APc 6x 5.5, Sport 6x6 etc on 5s and around 5x5, 5.5 x 4.3 or even 6x6 on 6s on the same motor. So as i progress with my flying i can also step up with battery cell count on the same motor and still run big prop sizes for maximum thrust and speed. So far i am on 4s setup, ordered couple of 60c batteries, i have a lot of 3s batteries which later i plan to run in series and make them 6s. Some guys were able to get 180 - 200 mph on the 6s setup on the funjet with this motor :O Well i hope to get 150mph which is quite easy on 4s and my skill level for now lol. Have also found out another 'MAGIC' prop just like our trusty 6x4, its the apc 6X5.5E which a lot of guys are running on 3s - 4s set up with various motors. I am pretty sure you can run it safely on the NTM 3000 or even Paidiss on 3s. The cost of this motor is 69$ shipped, but is rated very highly and these kinda motors last long and get take up a lot of beating. There are a lot of other Turnigy motors which can do the same for 50$ like the sk3 1900kv inrunner, but eventually they burn up really fast.

Just though would share my findings for speed / high performance freaks out here. Will receive the motor soon and do some bench testing on wattmeter + on field and update here. :)

http://www.highendrc.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=168

Attached Files:

8. Pricey but cool. My question is if you are restricted to a 4.75x4.75 prop right now what changes allows you to run a larger one? I tried some of those small props on the NTM and didn't like them at all and slowly worked my way right back up to the 6X3 that is on 4S. Just for giggles, if you have a NTM 2200kv motor and a 5X3 APC prop , pop it in your plane and put it on 6S , just screams. :) When I tested it over 70 oz of thrust but you have to wear hearing protection. Also tested it with a 5X5 APC prop and all numbers dropped even at 1/2 throttle.

9. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

I am first going to try out your 6x3 x ntm 3000 on 4s haha. But that will be the max it can go. for example as i mentioned earlier, just after 15 flights my ntm has some viberation around 30% throttle. its fine above that though, has strange gringe sound, etc. also in my funjet, the motor has to spin inside the the exhaust (See attached image) so inrunner is best option, the outrunner ntm's cables are running from the tip of the motor mount to the back and has a big chance of motor pulling the wires in. With this HET motor i am able to run props as big as 7x7 on 4s. i am able to run heat shrink on the motor as the motors outer can is not spinning, Its a tried and tested set up, same motor allows me to run 5s and 6s with multiple prop options, even on 6s i should be able to run a 6x6 as per some videos i have seen. So considering all the factors i selected this motor. We will see what kinda performance i actually get. Also if i ever buy a pylon or hotliner this same motor can be used in the future. Also the Funjet ultra has slightly draggy airframe and tiny props just don't do justice to it, i need to run bigger props. 6" +. check out this video with set up i am going for. and this is only 4s :p

Attached Files:

10. I would check the bearings in it plus I also fond one of my spinner nuts was way out of balance.

I see a very fast crash coming on. :D :D :D

Cheers
    Jeff

bimoadiprakoso and e3_Scott like this.
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Nakul -

Some crazy numbers there, great research:) I'm not familiar at all with inrunner motors, what controls the power between the receiver and the motor, it is a special type of ESC?

Good luck with the testing and achieving your speed goals:)

Cheers,

Scott

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  12. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Hey scott, i was surprised with all the findings aswell, and i did not only read the numbers i saw the jets perform in the videos, checkout the one i posted above :eek: Also most of them use castle creations esc, which have flight data logging etc and later after back form the field they post screenshots of the software showing, amps consumed, watts etc. I am going to use usual 80A esc - Ubec, and hope it will be enough, if not i am ordering another 125A cheap red brick esc from Banggood. Some guys who are running other motors and 125+ amps are using external bec, but i don't have much knowledge on this 'external bec' topic. should research more. Will post the bench test numbers once i get my motor. cheers! :)

13. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Jeff, i crashed my funjet on the maiden flight, my friend launched it for me and i went full throttle thinking it will need lot of thrust to lift 850 grams jet, but that turned out really bad as the Jet torque rolled to the left very bad and turned upside down then straight to ground full speed, all this happened in 2 seconds lol. THis funjet is notorious for torque rolls on launch, later we were launching it ok but im still scared at every launch, going to build a bungee launcher for this lol

14. Been there, done that, :D :D Oh, still doing it. ;)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Nakul -

I found this thread which looks useful to answering some questions about using an external BEC. I have had to use them before with cheaper ESCs that didn't have a built in BEC.

https://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/where-to-connect-an-external-bec.13163/

Lukewarm has provided incredible info in the past and I learned a lot from him, he posted this diagram that shows a couple different options, I would assume you might be going with the second option? This diagram is borrowed from post #7 in the thread above.
    escbec_wiring_diagram3.png
    Essentially the external BEC ensures that your receiver and servos are still getting good, uniform power so that in the event something else gets a little too toasty:eek:, you may still be able to control your plane to a somewhat safe landing:)

Cheers,

Scott

16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

That is crazy fast! It is amazing to me that he wouldn't work something out with the other guys at his field while he was ripping around, both flights somebody is up tooling around with a high wing trainer, two electrics collide at that speed, batteries are going to blow up:eek:

Cheers,

Scott

17. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Thanks Scott, i am aware what an external BEC is meant to do just didn know how the connections work, these images will help :)

I agree that he is flying too fast with other planes and there could be a collision. I think i may not need external BEC as my esc has built in and it supplies enough power to the servos + these high speed flights i keep them very short and also use the low voltage meter, extra careful. Also i make sure i'm flying solo with such high speed passes and take full care of safety haha. Don't wanna be having any mishaps at the field. Maybe ill start going more to another field which is very big and top of the hill, quite tough to drive up there but its a blast once there.. As you see this motor will get me easily to 150mph which i aim to get for now. Upgrades will come later :D I might need to wear a safety helmet lol.

Cheers!

18. Very simple hookup, as long as you have 1 empty channel in your rx to plug it into that's all you need.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,

I ended up putting those 5x4x6 props on the B-58 mini Parkjet bomber.

They did not vibrate or flex that I could tell up to 60% throttle, don't know yet what will happen at WOT.

This hover test was at less than 1/2 throttle or about 40% throttle and the plane wanted to jump out of my hand.

I haven't put it on the Thrust Stand yet but did the hover test with it attached to a Turnigy 2200kv motor, 30amp ESC and 1350mah 50C battery.

After the short run neither the ESC or motor got hot. I later gave it about 60% throttle and still no significant heat build up.

I haven't measured current draw or Wattage yet but will put it on the Thrust Stand with the DYS 2600 to get those numbers.

It sounds a little bit more like and EDF :)

Here's what it looked like:

bimoadiprakoso and e3_Scott like this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,

I thought they looked kinda wicked on the mini B58 Hustler :)

IMG_2069.JPG
    IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG