PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Like XDmToter said, I would be suspect about the bearings, also take the prop nut off and spin it and if it's still there take the whole prop adapter off. Just a couple weeks ago I found one of the prop cone nuts was way out, changed up to another and all gone.

2. By the way nakul, that and the 2700 NTM are my favorites :)

3. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Thanks Jeff, will look into it. Today i got delivery of Durafly EFxtra racer plane from hobbyking. It flies on 3s & 4s with 8x6, 7x6 props. One awesome plane that i really wanted to get, i got the green colour ofcourse, can't really fly it till i get home in 3 weeks. the point to note is it comes with aerostar 36 size motor which is 1780kv i think, u can also run it on 6s with smaller prop like 5.5 x5.5 etc. best thing is the motor costs only 22$ :D I saw the motor in the plane and it looks rock solid. i got the Green version ofc :D Comes pnf, just connect receiver and fly. The wings attach with 2 screws. Checkout this cool flight video and motor performance.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/motor-3536-1850kv-inc-prop-shaft-aerostar-branded.html

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.
  4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,

Ever time I read one of your posts about a new prop your trying out, you end up costing me money!

I just bought 6 of those and 6, 6-blade props from the same site. :)

e3_Scott likes this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi FBK -

You must have cleaned them out of the 6x4x3BN props, looks like they are sold out of those, at the price they want for the 6 bladed props, they are nearly giving them away. :rolleyes:

What motor do you anticipate using with the 6 bladed props, any idea?

Cheers,

Scott

jimbosflyin and Flybyknight22 like this.
  6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

It may be EDF time for the 450-Jet ;)

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hey Scott,

Yeah bought them out, didn't want Wild getting 'em all.

On the 6s,... no idea, just thought they were interesting but they are a little flimsy.

I might bench test them with this little Turnigy 2200kv that I have in the Hydro-Jet.

jimbosflyin likes this.
  8. It would make a good edf motor, so far the performance is great, for a plane the only snag is that it is about 3/8" longer can.

9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Interesting, so you did manage to get some of the 6x4x3BN props then? I was flying with it again today on a 2212 2200 Kv motor, great performance for the price, be nice to be able to find another source for them if Gemfan is still making themo_O:)

Cheers,

Scott

10. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,

Yeah got o bunch of 'em.

I'm sure Gemfan is still making them out there somewhere. When you find the source again and post it up here, I will buy some more :p

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi FBK -

I'm not sure about them reading this thread, but I'm happy to see vendors posting more data about their motors, as long as it is relatively accurate. One of the main reasons I got into testing motors and starting this thread was that I found data I had read from vendors not matching up to what I saw in my planes.

I certainly don't have a high tech way of doing it, the most expensive piece is probably my wattmeter which you can pick up for pretty cheap these days, this one from Banggood is only $12.19 USD. The main lesson I learned from doing all this testing is that if someone wants to experiment with different props other than what vendors test or provide info, the $12 spent on a wattmeter can save a lot more money in motors/ESCs/batteries. It is through testing props with motors that are normally not listed by vendors that I found some of the best combos that all work efficiently and safely with the ESCs and batteries I use.

I just bought this little motor from RC Timer for $11.75 USD their chart shows 850 gr/30 oz of thrust on a 6x4 prop pulling only 20A on 3S. It also shows some great numbers with 4S and is rated at 32A, so just a little lower than the popular 2212/6 2200 Kv motors.
    12779215739abf81.jpg

I'm interested to see if it will efficiently spin the MA 6x4x3 prop and stay comfortably under 30A so I could test a light but powerful setup with this motor and a 30A ESC in a plane. Be a month at least before I get the motor to test, I'll test with all the props I use across the different motors I fly with now and see what we come up with. Motor weight is 29 gr, I am assuming after putting a prop and other hardware on it that it will still be about 1/2 oz lighter than the popular 2212 2200 Kv motor setup, but that is why we test:)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,

Yeah you are right who knows why they are now providing more detailed info on some of these motors or how accurate the data is. I would still test it myself before putting it in a plane. :)

On a side note:
    These EDFs sound like a "REAL JET" :)

Jeff and I both have been doing some extensive testing of 70mm EDFs of late for use in PI's new EDF G1E Eurofighter.

With the Turnigy Thrust Stand and Watt Meter modified to accept EDFs I have tested/measured different motors, with different # of impeller blades along with experimenting and researching their required thrust tube specs for optimum performance on 3 and 4-cell batteries.

Impellers tested are 5, 8, 10 and 12 blade.
    Most tests with the exception of the Eflite unit used HK's cheap EDF housing and impellers.

Most motors tested so far are HK's Turnigy L2855 2800KV 730W, NTM 3000KV and Eflite's DeltaV-15 3600KV.

Jeff's testing in this area won't surprise you in that some of his numbers using the old NTM 3000KV motor are pretty incredible with over 61oz of thrust in one of his tests. :)

It's easy to understand why it seems as though a fair number of folks shy away from using EDFs based on numerous factors:

1. Unfamiliarity with EDFs in general or what size to use, 64mm vs 70mm.

2. Reports of Generally underpowered scratch and ARF built planes that have used EDFs in the past along with their somewhat shorter flight times.

3. The Perceived Mysteries of the thrust tubes required design.

4. Lack of an excellent ground up EDF scratch build design to use an EDF in (PI just solved that!).

5. What motor, fan blade and electronic combo to use that gives the needed (safe) thrust and performance for a given plane's weight etc.

6. Lack of a "cookbook" combo parts list for an EDF scratch build that typically exists for standard prop builds and other factors including a little more cost and complexity of build.

I and others have been trying to give those that want to know, at least a place to start without them having to jump through too many hoops of their own.

It is hoped that as more and more builders gravitate to EDF scratch building that some of our bench testing of EDFs might prove helpful.

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1932.JPG

IMG_1906.JPG

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  14. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Interesting stuff, FBK. Many of the reasons you list are exactly why I am not terribly interested in EDF, but I have a lot of respect for those who can make it work.:)

Sorry, but having been around real jets pretty much my entire life...there is only one thing that sounds like a real jet...EDF might be close...but no cigar:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Scott,

I hear what you are saying and I have been around a few Jets myself.

Of course you are right, not a real jet but as close as we're likely to get with a scratch build Foamy park flyer in many cases.

Like you and others, for a long time I didn't think that EDFs were really quite "there" yet but in my opinion they are now especially given the improvement of parts/knowledge etc.

Scott, I think most, if not virtually all of those problems have been solved and for the intrepid park jet Foamy scratch builder/flyer, it may be time:

"to go where no Foamy flyer has successfully gone before!" :)

They definitely are something different that is for sure and not for everyone but I think that is changing.

For me anyway, in what has been a somewhat stale environment its now about time to seriously consider them for use in a park jet.

16. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Wildthing just fabricated an adapter with his 3-D printer for the Turnigy Thrust Stand that bolts up very nice.

With a balanced cradle attached to hold the entire airframe it will be possible for me to test the fully completed plane.

His adapter takes the torque out while testing with a thrust tube and evenly distributes it across the stands top plate that normally is used for propellers only.

With the adapters he includes, testing most popular EDF sizes can be performed easily on Turnigy's Stand.

It works very well.

Here is mine:

IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

17. Glad to see you got it and it didn't get lost in the mail. Cheers and happy safe testing. :)

Jeff

Flybyknight22 and e3_Scott like this.
  18. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Built this tonight...

IMG_20170401_003444.jpg

Will test in the morning but looks hopeful and should come in rather handy!

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  19. Cool, the only thing I would do is mount the motor pointing the other way and your plate stops at the end of the stand so you can hang it over the edge of the bench and swing larger props if needed.

Flybyknight22 and Sterling101 like this.
  20. Oh, also you could then add a brace from the top of it down to where it pushes onto the scale, good size motor on there with a ton of thrust might snap it.

Sterling101 likes this.