PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Tower Hobbies has them in stock.
    Price is cheap at $6.59 not sure what your shipping would be though.

I do lots of business with them and am very satisfied with TH.

Wildthing likes this.
  2. Well APC advertises that the shipping costs are the actual shipping costs so we will see. I ordered a few different ones at the same time .

3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Quite awhile back, I ordered some Gemfan 6040BN 3 blade props (I'll call them GF 6x4x3 from now on) from Banggood to evaluate. So long ago (took almost 13 weeks for them to be deliveredo_O), that they are no longer listed on Banggood's website!

I did find a vendor in the US called PROPSMAN that is selling them for a huge discount of $1.49 for a set of four (regular $4.39) which leads me to believe with that much discount it is a clearance?

I thought I was doing well paying $2.57 USD for two:rolleyes:

I went to the Gemfan website to see if I could find more info, found that to be very user unfriendly:confused:

Anyway, not to worry, I'll play the cards I am dealt, so I checked the balance which was actually very good, better than the RC timer 6x3x3 props I use on some of my motors, not quite as good as the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 props, but very good for the price. Here is a picture comparing the 3 blade props mentioned.
    3 blade props with text.jpg
    They are listed as "glass fibre nylon", the blade is definitely more flexible than that of the Master Airscrew and RC Timer props, but the hub is very beefy.
    2017-03-16 16.04.55.jpg
    The prop fit very nicely onto a standard prop collet for a 2212 2200Kv motor which is good as it came with no prop rings or adapters.
    2017-03-16 16.21.32.jpg
    So a quick bench test with a 2212/6 2200Kv motor showed the following results. Test done with ESC timing set to low, Turnigy Plush 60A ESC and Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery.

50% throttle - 12.9A/156.9W producing 18.2 oz/517 gr of thrust; and

100% throttle - 34.9A/421.7W producing 36.7 oz/1039 gr of thrust.

These are pretty crazy numbers, the highest I have seen on a bench test with a 6" prop on 3S with this type motor. It is a 5.5 oz thrust improvement over my current favorite prop with this motor the MA 6x4x3, but does come with a pretty good amp cost, 35A essentially compared to 27A with the MA 6x4x3. Most of these motors are rated at 34A (using the Turnigy D2826/6 2200Kv motor as a benchmark), so even though 35A is a static number, I think this prop might push the motor hard, so I'll definitely use a 40A ESC and check the motor temp often during the first few flights.

I certainly am not getting too excited just yet as I have more than once seen incredible numbers on the bench not always translate to great performance at the field. The blade width at the widest part of the blade is 13 mm on the GF 6x4x3 prop compared to 7 mm on the MA 6x4x3, so prop drag slowing things down could be an issue. Time to put it in a plane and see what happens when the "rubber hits the road" so to speak:cool:

I attached an updated spreadsheet with this data, you will find it under the Turnigy D2826/6 2200Kv motor area.

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  4. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

ive been looking for ccw 7x4 apc but all our model shops said the same ,not available so I was just about to order some master ones but I think I shall try again.

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  5. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

just done a quick check for 7x4 props and a couple of places say they available but don't seem to stock them,and the batch of four from tower are slow fly props for quadcopters,are they safe and suitable for our needs.

6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Andy -

What size and Kv motor are you using with these props? In my experience, most slow fly props are for lower Kv (in the range of 1000) on 3S, any more RPM than that and the prop blades will flex too much causing a lot of noise, vibration and inefficiency.

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  7. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

Hi Scott its a turnigy D2826 2000kv motor surposed to be good on a 7 inch prop,they say 7x4.5

8. I ordered some direct from the APC website and they are on the way. :)

e3_Scott likes this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Andy -

I would say the Kv on that motor is a bit too high for slow fly props. I have used them on 1200 Kv motors on 3S and they were fine up to about 75% throttle, but at full throttle, you could see the prop flexing and it became very noisy and there was no increase in speed or power.

Do you have a link to that motor?

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  10. I watched my 1400kv motors bend them straight forward under wot. :D :D

e3_Scott likes this.
  11. Hey @e3_Scott Scott, I might have done a no no in your mind but I repaired my 4S battery which was damaged in the 3D Spitfire crash. Have some 3S 2200 batteries that were getting lazy but really 1 cell that drops off quick or is just dead so I took the dead cell out of the 4S battery pack and took out a good cell out of the 3S pack and soldered then together. Just test flew it even without a full charge and it came home happy and cool. 1 took the other good cell and soldered on a new JST end to fit my mid sized drone so it now has a 2200 1S battery for it.
    Don't scream at me. :(
    Cheers
    Jeff

e3_Scott likes this.
  12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Jeff -

No reason for me to scream at you:) I know a couple guys at my field who have done that or even built their own batteries using single cells or combining cells. As long as folks know what they are doing dismantling and soldering batteries(which I don't:oops:) and the results are good, no reason not to do what you did. Hope it continues to perform well for you:)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Well heck, I thought I was going to get heck . :D :D

Well as long as you confirm the polarity and put them in the right order it shouldn't be an issue. Safety side of it you definitely have to be more careful because you are going to be dealing with a battery that has a charge in it. ;)

Battery ran good and stout, now it getting a long slow balanced charge.

Cheers
    Jeff

e3_Scott likes this.
  14. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

Hi Scott cant get seem to get a link but its turnigy D2826 2000kv
    2-4 lipo
    300w
    max current 25a
    susgested prop 7045 on 4s
    30a esc
    109951_2.jpg 109951_3.jpg

15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Andy -

Interesting. A couple numbers jump out at me, if it is a max current 25A motor, I am willing to bet that a 7045 prop on 4S is going to pull far more than 25A. A D2826/6 2200 Kv motor on 3S with a 7x3 prop pulls 34A. I would also suspect you would cook a 30A ESC pretty easily on 4S, perhaps it might be OK on 3S. I would certainly proceed with caution before trying it with a 7045 prop of any kind on 4S:rolleyes:

If you can, test run it on 3S with maybe a 6x4 APC style prop and see what sort of heat build up you get. If you had a wattmeter or access to one, it could tell you right away what was going on with the amp draw and what sort of prop and battery you might be able to use.

I'm assuming looking at it's configuration it was designed as a multi rotor motor of some kind?

Sorry I can't be of much help other than that:)

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  16. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Did u mean use a 6x3 tgs prop on 4s ntm?

e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  17. Yes, the combination has worked great for me whether it's with the NTM 2700 or 3000 motors and I use a 80A esc.

slow2spool and e3_Scott like this.
  18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I managed to get out and get some field testing done with the Gemfan BN6x4x3 prop yesterday:)

As I mention in the video, I had picked this prop up to test as a less expensive option to the Master Airscrew 6x4x3 (MA) prop. With a few differences, it seems to fit that bill rather well.

I don't think it is that much faster than the MA 6x4x3 prop, maybe a tiny bit. The acceleration is quick and linear, so the same as the MA prop, it is a bit louder, more high pitched whine at full throttle. Based on what is remaining in the battery after the flight, it is about 5% less efficient.

Unfortunately, searches on eBay and Amazon are not turning up much for a source on where to get more of these props.:rolleyes: Gemfan has other 6" three bladed props, but it is very hard to tell in the pictures I have found if they have the beefy hub that the ones I picked up have. Anyway, if you have access to them or have some laying around, they work very well with the popular 2212 2200 Kv size motors in a park jet as an alternative to the MA 6x4x3 prop:)

Cheers,

Scott

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  19. Ok people if there is a motor you want to push hard and it looks like it will take it is the NTM 2836 2200kv one. By the way this is Lars fault. :D :D

6S 5000mah 65C battery, 80A HK ESC, 5x3 APC prop.

50% Throttle 27 oz thrust 20.1 Amps 499 watts
    100% Throttle 53 oz thrust 67 Amps 1590 Watts

Motor warm to touch, esc cold but wear some ear protection, boy does she sing at 80% and up. ;)

With a 6X4 APC prop and the battery was down to 24 volts and this was just quick bursts (scatter shield recommended) :D
    At close to 100% throttle I saw over 70 oz of thrust, somewhere around 70 Amps and I am sure I saw 1700 plus on watts. Quick burst but motor was warm , I expected boiling hot instantly but not the case. Battery is being recharged. ;)

20. Ok so some more crazy numbers or should I say unreal.

With a 6X4X3 MAF Prop at 50% Throttle 42.00 oz, thrust , 29.8 A and 733 Watts. At 100% throttle (now hang on to your britches) 78 oz thrust, 99 Amps and 2200 watts, 2 runs and smoking hot but still alive. :)

Just for the heck of it and it makes 0 sense to me but with a 5X5 APC prop all numbers were lower compared to using the 5X3 APC prop??????? It's not because the motor runs out of steam because it will pull a 6X4 prop no problem with huge results, that is until it dies.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    lawrenceb and bimoadiprakoso like this.