PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. e3_Scott likes this.
  2. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Thank you Scott, i shall try that app out for sure. Very curious to see what speeds i am getting. MK1 Eyeballs hahaha
    I wonder if ill have half decent eyesight when ill be 55 :O Also the colour scheme helps a lot. i added extra orange vinyl stickers on the wing tips, this jet flies far away so fast that i see only tiny orange dot and iknow its the upper side of the jet haha. Hoping to get similar bright green under.

Attached Files:

Wildthing, e3_Scott and jimbosflyin like this.
  3. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

As per the flyer 'Dhruv' this is what he sent me on pm when i asked him about the NTM motor.

Its good but I won't suggest it. The amp rating is less but it sucks 3 times more. So more constant power and it will fry, Plus can't find a prop adaptor for it. I had it custom for it.'

Jeff, let me write him and confirm once again if thats the same motor. I dont think there is another other 1700kv ntm motor on hobbyking.

e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  4. No worries, I don't have any 6S batteries anyways. ;)

e3_Scott likes this.
  5. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Jeff,
    I picked up several NTM 3000 KV motors, I need to test one with a Whatt meter. 1200 watts from these tiny motors. Awesome!
    Dave

6. I am sure it was well over 1000 watts on 4S and using the 6X3 prop, somewhere back in this thread or on the Mig-35B one I had posted the results. Looks like the renamed it and the price is slightly better by a couple bucks because before you had to buy the accessory pack extra and now it's included.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/ntm-prop-drive-28-36-3000kv-755w-1.html/?___store=en_us

Flybyknight22 and e3_Scott like this.
  7. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

I just got a promo mail from hobbyking about 2835 Propdrive 3000kv 'V2' Wonder whats new in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  8. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Wild,
    Very surprised and pleased to see your test of this motor.

HeadsupRC used to show the specs for the 450-Jet on their website and I have them somewhere around here. I'll see if I can find them and post here.

I bought one quite awhile back but never got around to testing it or trying to use it, your results a very useful.

Thanks for testing and posting the info on 450-Jet.

9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Now that's the ticket right there!

e3_Scott likes this.
  10. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I use the APC 7x3 Scimitar prop and prefer it over the APC 6x4 in most cases especially on heavier builds, also because of the initial increased airflow on take off the control surfaces of the plane take affect almost immediately without having to get the plane up to speed. This allows input of aileron differential so the plane is always climbing on takeoff. When short of fingers on the TX, this can sometimes be a benefit when launching.

The larger APC 7x3 doesn't generally give you more speed over the APC 6x4, or the EMP 6x3. What the APC Scimitar 7x3 gives you is low end grunt on take off for a heavier than normal built foamy without over taxing many of the standard 2200KV motors.

Speed is not a big deal to me, I generally like to fly a bit more stress free and a little slower and on take off with a heavier plane, if possible I want it to fly right out of my hand versus having to toss or throw the plane.

More often than not on the heavier builds the APC 7x3, 7x4, 7x5 give the low end grunt to do this when paired with the right motor. Most of my APC 6x4 propped planes do not allow this but if you build extremely light then it's not an issue. Sadly, all my planes seem to be fat boys :(

There are other issues of course with torque roll that you need to be aware of and the APC 7 inch props are a little harder on the battery but for me with all that taken into consideration, they work well and I generally prefer them over the APC 6x4 but not always.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

As a Master Chief Sonarmen and Advanced Acoustic Analyst, I made a living surveiling, teaching and studying all propulsion systems world wide tied to various shrouded and unshrouded propellers with varying blade counts, blade sizes and blade shapes, through turbine reduction gears, electric drives, diesel direct drives, even turbo prop aircraft etc, etc.

This is partly why I generally enjoy this specific thread over most others. It's just very interesting to me to see what others are finding regarding the performance of various props tied to different motors, all good stuff.

Dave748 likes this.
  12. If you go look at the 3D printed Spitfire that me and Sterling have been working on that is the motor right there in the maiden flight and it's pulling a 33 oz or more plane with a 6X3 TGS prop, 80A esc on 4S.

Your next post about reversing the shaft doesn't work, it's a stepped shaft so no can do. I set up a little jig, drilled and tapped the other end and used a NTM bolt on prop mount. Stupid tap cost me as much as the motor, I bought that one and the other common size for cleaning out the threads.

Cheers
    Jeff

Flybyknight22 and Nightswatch like this.
  13. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Thats awesome, im using the apc 7x3 prop on my Gripen jet (you can see me holding in my dp lol ) with 2200 motor. I built the gripen for aerobatics, and the 6x4 prop was just giving it more speed. i switched to lower kv motor + apc 7x3 prop and now its doing just what its suppose to do. I am doing flat spins, high alpha, and learning some more tricks. Love the 7x3 prop overall.

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  14. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Funjet ultra. Paidiss 3500kv, 4s 45 c Tattu lipo. 5.5 x 4.3 graupner cam speed style prop.

Got really crazy speed but motor came down smoking hot, motor is fine though, i would not use prop bigger than 4.7 x 4.7 on the paidiss.

Flybyknight22, e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  15. Cool, like I said the Paidiss doesn't like 4S even with the small props. You can run it without a prop and it will get warm. ;) If you have the NTM 3000kv motor put it in and use a 6X3 TGS prop and you can fly the crap out of it and the speed is probably better. :)

e3_Scott and Nakul like this.
  16. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Going to try that next once i'm bk home haha

17. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I agree,

The APC 7x3 has a sweet spot for certain kinds of flying. It's not always about how fast you can go but how "good" you can go fast ;)

18. Hey @Flybyknight22 , Out of all your testing and vast amount of knowledge!!!!!!!! 7X4 , maybe 7X3 props , the best of course but with 1 snag, it has to be available in CW and CCW . The is to run on twin Emax CF2812 1500kv motors , 3S and 20A esc's.

Cheers
    Jeff

e3_Scott likes this.
  19. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Is it possible to flip one around and reverse the rotation of the outrunner?

If not it's no big deal as standard rotation and reverse rotation APC 7x4 props are out there if you just do a little bit of looking ;)

You get four APC props for just $6.59, that's 2-standard rotation and 2-reverse rotation.

As just one example you might try this, there are plenty others out there:

IMG_1428.PNG

IMG_1429.PNG

Here is the link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?I=LXFYAP&P=8

Here is another spot indicating that standard and reverse 7x4 APC props are available:

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=720

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.
  20. Because the motors are inline I wanted one to run reverse rotation so you need 1 CW & CCW prop to counteract the torque roll. I know APC built the 7X4 thin electric prop both ways but when my local hobbie shop went to order them it said the CCW prop was discontinued. I went back to the APC site this morning and ordered them and so far they haven't said no. ;)

Flybyknight22 likes this.