PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Should be all right Nakul but how are you going to mount the motor? Did you not order the NTM accessory pack when you ordered the motor? It mounts on the other side of the motor and your X mount goes on the end where you have your prop adapter. now.

2. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

I did order the accessory pack but on funjet the motor mounts opposite. U screw it direct on the firewall and motor goes inside the exhaust. Need to order the aluminium firewall but it wasn't in stock. This will also work just fine. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  3. Ok, cool. The weight will be fine, I am sure the NTM prop adapter assembly is heavier then the one you have now. :)

Cheers
    Jeff

4. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Nakul, I would recommend the adapter Hobby King sells that you thread on to the end of the motor with three tapped holes. You'll quickly find out in almost all NTM motors you'll need to cut the shaft so the adapter can be threaded on to that end of the motor. To cut the motor shaft, I remove the tiny cir-clip and unscrew the motor housing from the shaft (set screw). Then I chuck the shaft in a lathe and cut it with a cut off wheel. This of course is overkill but this way I ensure I don't introduce any imbalance on the shaft and I don't risk metal shavings dropping into the motor. I greatly prefer the threaded adapters to the one you show in the picture.

Dave

5. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Wildthing likes this.
  6. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Thanks Dave, i figured out how to mount it as you can see in the image. i have maxed out low passes with the NTM 3000KV with best results with 4.7 x 4.7 apc prop. The funjet has a big air intake hole right ahead of the motor and one in front of the canopy so all systems running super cool. I almost want more speed, looks like i will have to try a bigger prop (test on wattmeter first ofc) or have to step in the inrunner world haha. My friend got this quick pass with his phone.
    Ntm 3000kv 4s 45c 1800mah 4.7 x 4.7 apc

7. You have to watch the heat a little closer but try a 6X3 TGS prop with it on 4S, that is if it fits.

Nakul and e3_Scott like this.
  8. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

I have a tgs prop. will give it a shot tomorrow. Btw i also saw a bench test video which confirms the claims of Paidiss that their motor is 1200watts on 4s with 4.5 x 4.5 prop. Which is 400 watts more than ntm 3000kv Those bench test numbers are quite good. Going to try the Paidiss on funjet tomorrow on 4s with 4.7 x 4.7 apc prop too,

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  9. Yes the Paidiss has big numbers but isn't as durable as the NTM on 4S. They go up in smoke really easy. :) Ask me. :D :D

Flybyknight22 and e3_Scott like this.
  10. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Nakul,
    Wow, 1200 watts! What was that blur moving across the video?

Dave

Nakul and Wildthing like this.
  11. If I remember right the 3000kv NTM with the 6X3 prop was almost identical

Dave748 likes this.
  12. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

I tried the Paidiss today with Graupner cam speed style 5.5 x 4.3 prop on 4s. crazyyy fastt.. The motor came down so so hot, but then i gave it no chance to breathe, non stop WOT's haha That was the last try, i'm sticking with 4.7 x 4.7 apc prop on Paidiss on 4s. Can i try a bigger prop on the NTM 3000 Jeff?

Wildthing likes this.
  13. The NTM on 4S I have been using the 6X3 TGS prop, comes down warm but is reasonable and I very seldom give them cool down laps. ;) With a 6X4 APC prop it is crazy but you do a speed run and then a bunch of cool down laps. The motors hold the heat a long time so it's a gamble everytime out but with the 6X3 I run them hard, also a 80A esc in there.

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  14. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Awesome will be trying that next, i use 80A esc also

Wildthing likes this.
  15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Scary fast:rolleyes: Do you have any way to know how fast it is going, Nakul? Well done, nice steady hands/thumbs for something that speedy:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  16. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

I am aware there are some apps that you can use which give u average more or less, must try next time. Before buying this funjet ultra i practiced about 100 + flights on my scratch built model and that flies so so close to the ultra. But the ultra has the edge for tracking in a straight line, post the launch you trim the model so it flies and glides VERY straight if u cut off the motor, level it at ur preferred altitude and direction and bangg full throttle up. In case of cross winds the jet will be a tiny bit shaky and may need correction but on a calm day, it will go straight in a line where you asked it to go! Also the torque roll on this is real mess, i still haven't dared to launch it myself lol. A buddy of mine does the launch, on the maiden flight it flipped upside down and even before i could do anything straight to the ground, nose bent :O i read on forums that u need to dip it in boiling water,, whatttt ? I boiled water in a pot and dipped the nose in for 2 - 3 mins in and out, and it reformed its original shape, just like how it was when i bought it. There is some foam magic going on there haha. I had few more scratches and bends on the tail of the wing here and there, did the same again, dipped in boiling water, back to new. The foam itself is very very stiff.. Quite impressed with this model overall and its doing what its meant to do, SPEED! Will be trying a few more inrunners / edf motors on this one by one as my skill level goes up, as per your experience how much speed do u think this must be? Btw i squeezed in a bit more speed with the Paidiss motor on 4s, will upload that video soon. Hope all well your side Scott. Closely watching Su27 thread. :)

17. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Btw this guy i met through one of the forums has got a 6s setup. SK3 Edf inrunner with 6x6 prop. Check out this speed, my heart races just by watching the video :eek:

18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Nakul -

All is well here, thanks very much, thanks for the interest in the Su-27, more testing to be done, Stephan hopes we are now on the final set of plans which I will build from this week.

Sounds like you have used a great process building up your speed and getting used to it, certainly takes some time to get those low, close passes consistently at 100+ mph. I find sometimes that I just get the plane lined up the way I want it and before I know it, it has gone by:confused: Sometimes even just an increase of 10-20 mph takes quite a bit of getting used to.

I have used the RC Speedo app on my android phone, I just checked and they have a free trial one you can download, I think I paid about $3 USD four years ago when I bought it for my phone. I'm not sure if the same is available for iPhone or other systems.

Based on what I see other guys post who have clocked their planes using telemetry or radar guns, mine clocks about 10 mph fast on average. It takes awhile to get used to using it, you need to fly fairly close to the phone, it works on listening to the doppler shift of the prop and likes about 2 seconds of listening time. Probably safest to put the phone on a box or chair or something so you can step back from it a bit. Last thing you want to do is hit yourself with your plane going 100+ mph:eek:

Also, because of echo or other factors, it will give me crazy numbers like 200 mph, so it takes a few flights to get a ball park idea of what the speed really is. I primarily used to use it to compare the difference in speed between different motors in the same plane or different props with the same motor. Helps give me an idea if I'm truly seeing any improvement or not as it is hard to gauge sometimes with my 55 yr old eyeglass assisted MK1 eyeballs:rolleyes:

Best of luck in your continuing search for speed:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Wildthing likes this.
  19. That is cool and wicked fast, any idea of what size of motor on it?

20. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Wildthing likes this.