PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

closest I am going to get pulling G's like a real figher jet
    I should of made my online name G monster lol

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  2. NO. I want more then that, that I can do, except the singing and music stuff. ;)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Nakul -

The good thing about a wattmeter is you can do a quick check of your amp draw and power output without taking the motor out of the plane. The wattmeter I have, similar to the one I linked from Banggood provides more info than I will probably ever use. The most important number I look at is the amps drawn as that is what can do the damage to my components (motor/ESC/battery) if any of them are pushed too far.

The amp draw when static will always be higher than when flying as the motor is trying to move you or whatever it is attached to, not your much lighter plane:) but is a very good point to start with to ensure you aren't in danger of damaging anything.

I do pay attention somewhat to the watts, this will let me know if there is a big difference in power being produced between one prop or the other. However, like the thrust numbers I have seen on the bench, this does not always translate to performance at the field, so if amps are acceptable, it always pays to evaluate thoroughly at the field.

I think for the $20 investment I made in my wattmeter, it has saved me far more than that in potentially damaged equipment and because I do a lot of testing of different props with the motors I like to use, it lets me know right away if the combo is worth taking to the field for testing.

Good luck:)

Cheers,

Scott

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  4. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Nakul,
    420 grams All up Weight minus the battery! That is fantastic and it will help everything you are doing with such wonderful speed. I read through this thread and you probably mention but what is the amp rating of the ESC you are using? Getting a high C rating to handle the 3500 KV motor. Do you know the measure max current draw and max watts running your setup?

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Nakul like this.
  5. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Hey Dave, So my current set up is Paidiss 2836 3500kv, 3s 40C 2200 Lipo, waiting for the higher c rating lipo to arrive, currently i'm using 50A Hobbywing Skywalker esc burst rating is 65A. I don't have a watt meter at the moment but ordering one very soon to measure the current draw, so far the gens ace 25 - 50C battery gives me very good punch and speed. The zippy 40C battery is also giving me similar performance, my esc is barely warm after few WOT's and also the motor so everything is running cool, i have ordered the NTM 3000KV motor and going to order an 80A esc + 4s battery to upgrade to 4s setup. I very quickly realised prob its better to buy or build a smaller jet which weighs less with all the electronics to make it go faster rather than to build one of the fighter jets which have such bigger surface area + lot of drag.

The rear mount of the motor also eliminates all the drag and yet the jet is very responsive. also it runs only 2 servos. After few hard landings i have now covered the nose and canopy part of the jet with fibre glass tape. Honestly this jet was just an experiment to see if i will like this style of jet in terms of flight characteristics and i was planning to buy the funjet ultra, but after flying my friends funjet at the field i was very much surprised that it flies exactly same haha!! I have posted a thread regarding how i built the jet, here are few images and the video link.

Attached Files:

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  6. Wait until you put the NTM 3000kv in it on 4S. ;)

EricR, bimoadiprakoso and Nakul like this.
  7. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Can't wait :D

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  8. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Nakul,
    Light weight is as you described a key to speed and agility. Checking the ESC temperature as well as the motor temperature is a good test to determine if you are stressing the motor-battery-ESC system. Of course the motor should get warm (over 150 degrees F) but sensing the relative temperature flight to flight will give you important data on how the system is changing flight to flight. I have a NTM 2700 KV motor that was pulling over 75 amps. I smoked a 60 amp ESC on that setup so I went nuts to a 100 amp ESC. Alternatively I could stay off full throttle. Nah. I love the inexpensive NTM motors. They do vary motor to motor so monitor temperature. Also, at the risk of being a nag, please watch the batteries for signs of puffing. Puffing is the internal chemistry braking down and happens when we over stress a battery or crash it. And please transport the batteries in a LiPo bag or something like a steel ammunition box. You'll enjoy the watt meter as it will provide a lot of good data. Keep flying fast! Check out Jeff's and Scott's and Chris' videos in the Mig-35B thread. You'll see they all fly fast and very, very smooth. My own flying has improved a lot from flying NAMC park jets. My low passes are now about 10' off the deck. This summer the goal is lower and faster with my new NAMC Mig-35B!! Thanks for the great posts!

9. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Morning from this side of the world Dave,

You are on point with what you wrote above, have been following the same practice, normally ill carry 2 jets to the field, fly the funjet and let it rest for systems to cool down. I also keep checking for heat on the esc and motor after every flight, its like an habbit now haha. Absolutely in love with the Paidiss motor and can't wait to try first ever NTM, heard so many things and been wanting to buy one wince months but there was no stock available.

I have literally been through full thread of the MIG 35B :D Like every single post, i also chat with Scott from time to time and his 35B is on my list for upcoming builds, right now i literally have 5 Jets all in good flying condition haha i cannot even think of my next build as i am running out of space to store these in the house lol But Bimo's Sukhoi & Scott's 35B are on the top of the list, Sukhoi for aerobatics, and Mig for speed. My flying improved a lot from RCP F117 V3, that was the most responsive jet i had as a beginner, later Bimo's F15C also did really good for me and i started flying really low & fast, now the funjet is so so manoeuvrable that i do some grass cutting with it hahahha + i just now finished Shumate's Gripen pusher Jet, this one has surprised me so much, its so aerobatic yet so so fast at the same time, the way air is routed from the intakes, through the jet straight to the motor at the rear brings out amazing performance.. Will try to get a video of that one too, i'm using Scott's recommended 2212 S 2700kv motor from fast tech on the Gripen. I could make it go faster with say NTM but would like to keep this one for slow scale flying and for high alpha etc, what a beauty. :)

Attached Files:

10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Nakul -

Thanks for your kind words and your keen interest in the Mig-35B:)

I would be remiss if I didn't mention it is certainly not "my" Mig-35B but rather a true team effort.

My NAMC partners Stephan (sgmoran) and Dave (Dave748) have been largely instrumental in it's development. I essentially had what for me is the fun part, flying the wings off it in testing:cool:

Stephan is the chief designer and through a very solid scientific approach determined the optimum air frame design for strength, simplicity of build, good balance, stability and agility while trying to retain good scale representation of the Mig-35. His attention to detail with the layout of the air frame has been completely thought out and tested, nothing is left to chance or luck.

Dave introduced Stephan and I to David Scott's Airplane and Radio Setup manual a couple years ago and it changed the way we setup our planes and radios, stripping it down to the very basics. This is a large part of our design theory where we try to design planes that require minimal control surface deflection to get the plane to change direction. By also focusing on stability, we tried to find balance where the plane was still very agile without being twitchy to allow it to be flown with reduced expo. All in an effort to get a better feel for what was going on with the plane while flying.

We understand that this may not be how everyone likes to set up their planes and radios, but we figured if it flew really well with small throws and very small amounts of expo, it should suit a wide range of pilots.

Of course we owe a large debt of gratitude to the international test team mentioned in the first post of the Mig-35B thread, Andreas (Fz1Fazer), Bimo, Chris (chris_tall), Dennie (FlybyKnight22) and Ian (bogusbandit56). Their feedback on the plans, instructions and the plane itself contributed in large part to making this our most successful plane yet. It formed a framework for how we will go about "thinking, designing, testing and validating" all future NAMC projects.

Of course to all those who have built and flown the Mig-35B, I continually humbled to see what you have done with this plane, I sincerely thank you for taking me along for the ride in your adventures:)

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, it certainly showed us how many different motors and power combos can be put in this plane, the speeds you guys are getting is incredible to watch:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

11. Dave748

Dave748 Ace Pilot

Nakul, you may enjoy Scott's recommended 2216 motor over the larger NTM as that motor is very light in weight and you will see benefits in agility and longer flight times than the heavier motors like the NTM 2700 and 3000 KV motors. It is a very good habit others on this forum can learn from you to inspect the temperature after each flight. I neglected to check a prototype about a month ago and drove the plane into the ground because I didn't preflight my plane. Happily no one was hurt and it cost me some foam and one servo. An inexpensive lesson :)

I'm sure you can make room for a NAMC Mig-35B. :) I know you will be impressed by the plane's neutral and agile handling and very large speed envelope.

Dave

12. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

OH ops!! Apologies Scott, no doubt the Mig-35B performs so well with such a huge teamwork in development, i shall call it NAMC MIg35B from now on haha! :)

13. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Will be building this for sure Dave! In the coming months. I will be off in March - april for a trip out of country and once i'm back will take up a project or 2. Mig35B is def on my list! Thanks again :)

14. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Just thought will put up an update here, i finally ordered the Multiplex Funjet Ultra for ultimate speed thrills, starting with ntm 3000kv 4s. so i went through rc groups Funjet Ultra thread to look for what power set up guys are using there, guess what ? They are not even talking about stuff like the NTM etc. A lot of guys there are using EDF motors with 4 / 5 / 6S set up. Motors like Dr Mad THrust, Typhoon, Hobbyking SK3 fan drive, MEGA, and so many of these very expensive motors haha.

Lot of guys are clocking speeds like 215mph on the 6S, but hey thats too far away for me lol
    Just thought would be interesting to post my findings here. so mr @Wildthing if you are looking for more powerful motors, you gotta step onto one of these edf motos haha.

Can't wait for my FJU, arriving tomorrow. First ever store bought plane, lets see how that feels :D The Gray one is such a beauty, but can't get that anymore.

Link to forum thread:
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1210898-Multiplex-Funjet-Ultra/page906

Attached Files:

EricR and Wildthing like this.
  15. :D :D :D , I see lots of those and it would be cool but I don't like the price ;) , that and at 200mph I would only get 1 fly by because I would probably lose sight of it as it goes by. :)

Flybyknight22 likes this.
  16. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

Yeah, we can get 3 Ntm's in that price lol
    Loose sight i have somehow worked on that, need to get some good colour scheme so its visible from far. Status says out for delivery. woohooo!! :D

Wildthing likes this.
  17. At 200mph you will need more then color. ;)

18. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

No way i can go that fast on 4S :)) So ill be at 125mph max i hope or as some guys say around 140, we'l find out. :D

Wildthing likes this.
  19. That's still cruising for a little piece of foam and if you lose perspective it's usually history. :D

20. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

The only 4mm Prop adapter i found here, intend to use it on NTM 3000 with 4s setup. Weighs about 14g i guess, its from hobbyking, very sturdy and reviews are good. do you guys think this will be too heavy for the motor and will affect performance?

Attached Files:

Wildthing likes this.