PARKJET MOTOR BENCH TESTING

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by e3_Scott, Jul 6, 2013.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi everyone -

I am getting ready to do some bench testing of some of the more popular parkjet motors that I and other folks like to use here. I need to wait for the postman to deliver a couple of them to me as well as some different props that I would like to try out on some of the smaller motors just to see what kind of numbers I am going to get.

I'm certainly not trying to replace anything done in the past by folks like Dr Kiwi, I think it will be fun to try out and I'm interested in what numbers I will get for my own knowledge.

The motors I will be testing are -
    Now, I am not the most technical guy in the world, so any reasonable input before I start doing any testing is appreciated.
    I have some EMP props on the way in 6x3 and 6x4 as well as 6x4 APC. The only motor I will probably not test with the 6x4 APC prop is the 2212/6 2700 Kv as from what I have seen from Jay's videos, that prop might burn that motor out pretty quick, but we can put one there and just be careful and see what happens!
    I won't bother testing the EMP props on the SMJV2 or the NTM Prop Drive, I don't think it is worth it, but again I can give it a try.
    I'm not looking at collecting every specific aspect of what is happening, but will look at the following -
    • amps;
    • watts;
    • thrust (if my scale will let me...:rolleyes:); and
    • RPM (I have one of those little tachometers coming from HK).
    For setup, I am looking at using the setup I would use to fly with these motors, I will use Turnigy Plush ESCs for all the testing at their factory default settings.
    For the MJV3 and the A2212/6 2700 Kv motor I will use the 30A ESC and a Nanotech 1300 Mah 3s 25-50C discharge battery.
    For the Turnigy D2826/6, the RC Timer 2212-6 2200 Kv and the Power Up Zoom 450 motors I will use the 40A ESC and a Turnigy 1600 Mah 3S 30-40 C discharge battery.
    For the SMJV2 and the NTM Prop Drive, I will use the 60A ESC and Nanotech 2200 Mah 3s 45-90c discharge battery.
    I also have a couple 4S batteries that I might test on one or two motors (very carefully) just to see what happens.
    Anyway, just in the "brainstorming" stage at this point, I'm hoping some of the more technically minded folks might be able to give this a look over and see if I am headed in the right direction. I'm looking to try and test with the setup that I would most likely use in my planes when I fly to give me the best idea when it comes to matching power setups to planes and I'm hoping it will help other folks out as well.
    As I said in the opening paragraph this won't be done right away as I need the mailman to deliver some more goodies and I would rather do the setup and run them through all at once if I can rather than "piece mealing" it together.
    Not sure if it is worth video taping my testing or not, that might be a bit of a "snooze fest", but I'm willing to "take one for the team" if there is enough interest.
    Cheers,
    Scott

2. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

3. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

Awesome! But please test the 2212/6 2700 Kv with the 6X4 prop, just keep track of the amps to protect the motor, we can adjust our throttle settings to keep the amps in line. I'm really curious about this motor.
    P.S. I've got a really simple thrust stand that just sits on top of a scale. I can get you pics if you need ideas.....

4. gm3

gm3 Top Gun

sweeeet. i have been waiting for something like this.

5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Are you referring to the 6x4 APC prop? I have been told by experts who are familiar with this motor that it is not suitable for use with a 6x4 APC prop as the motor gets too warm. That part of testing has already been done by folks who have used the motor and it is best with EMP props, 6x3 to be exact. I will see and take it to half throttle with the APC prop and see what happens.

Cheers,

Scott

poormansairforce likes this.
  6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sure, go ahead and send the pics, would be interested to see them, I have some ideas already, but the more info the merrier.

Cheers,

Scott

7. apklug

apklug Airman

I would be greatful if you could test the NTM2200 on a 3s and 7x5

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

8. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I was getting about 35 oz thrust from mine. Lots of punch, no speed. Perfect for a larger v2 plane and slower aerobatic flying.

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

apklug likes this.
  9. apklug

apklug Airman

Any idea how many amps and did it run cool?

10. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

I've never bought an amp meter (rather have more stuff) but my 60 amp esc and the motor never even warmed up. More than the 94 degrees outside!

youtube/gstrysky
    frcfoamies

apklug likes this.
  11. apklug

apklug Airman

Sounds perfect for my next build

12. apklug

apklug Airman

F1wanabe
    Take a look at this data sheet for comparison.
    Lucien Miller is a very experienced guy and has the best bench top testing setup I've seen.
    http://innov8tivedesigns.com/Cobra/Cobra_2217-8_Specs.htm

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sorry, apklug, that was about the only motor I didn't buy for testing...:oops: I'm still waiting on one motor and one type of prop to show up, then I have to build my little bench test apparatus so that I can get thrust numbers.

Cheers,

Scott

14. apklug

apklug Airman

Make sure you read through lucien miller's stuff first lots of data and methods

15. poormansairforce

poormansairforce Airman

Sorry, I finally took some pics. The 3/4" x 3/4" square stock/motor mount pieces just drop in the channel created by the square stock and the ply "L" and extend through the base ply onto the scale. Some felt on the bottom so it can sit on the scale. If your props not balanced this setup will let you know it! Make as many as you need so you can test multiple motors easily.
    dscn3062.jpg dscn3063.jpg dscn3064.jpg

It would be nice if you could test 50% throttle also so we can get info on what motors make good cruiser/FPV motors vs speed motors. The 2826 doesn't impress me for cruising around. Set up a switch on the Tx for 50% to keep it the same.

16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Will do, I have some time to kill waiting for the rest of the stuff I need to start testing.

Cheers,

Scott

17. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks for the pictures, I don't think I will build anything that elaborate, but I will ensure it holds my motor still so I get an accurate reading on thrust and performance.

Cheers,

Scott

18. apklug

apklug Airman

First of all I think it is great that you are setting this up. Careful though lots of guys make the mistake of using this vertical type of configuration. The thrust readings will be off. This is because much of the airflow will be hitting the baseplate and not creating upwards lift that the scale can appreciate. Essentially you are going to watch the propeller try and separate the wood plate from the vertical shaft with futility and any residual thrust that hits the table will be appreciated by the scale. Check out Dr. Kiwi and lucien miller both on rcgroups.

Consider a pusher configuration perpendicular to the table.

Forgot to mention if you direct the prop wash towards the ceiling the errors should be less on the setup you showed in the picture.

19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

My intent was to have something very simple constructed, mostly just to prevent anything from turning with the prop wash, I had always planned on having my thrust/airflow going towards the ceiling as I would be mounting the props exactly the same way as they would be on the plane.

Still waiting for some goodies to arrive and testing should start soon, I will check out Dr Kiwi and Lucien Miller very soon.

Cheers,

Scott

apklug likes this.
  20. apklug

apklug Airman

I am tempted to do something similar just to get a rough idea of static measures

e3_Scott likes this.