Parkflyers International Mitsubishi F-2A Viper G3R: Bringing In More Ace Combat Science Into Parkjet

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Dec 17, 2018.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

The Mitsubishi F-2 is a multirole fighter derived from the General Dynamics F-16 Fighting Falcon, and manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries and Lockheed Martin for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force, with a 60/40 split in manufacturing between Japan and the United States. Production started in 1996 and the first aircraft entered service in 2000. The first 76 aircraft entered service in 2008, with a total of 94 airframes produced.

upload_2018-12-18_14-6-34.png

After some conversations on bringing in the next version of PI F-16 G1, our member jimbosflyin built the prototype of the F-16 G2R based on G1 design by placing the motor as rear mounted setup. He was so pleased with it so we decided to put this as our next project with some improvements addressed for the G3R. G2R remains as unreleased design.

However, instead of just having F-16 design in our line up, we decided to go with its sibling, the Mitsubishi F-2A Viper. Further, we made decision to keep the intake size to the scale of the F-16, in order to prevent more drag caused by the larger intake on the F-2A. Another noticeable difference between the F-2A and F-16 is the horizontal stabilizers shape. F-2A contains tapered rear tip h-stab while F-16 remains cornered.

Here's the F-2A digital depron model, constructed in Rhinoceros 6.0 using HP Zbook Studio and HP Z820.

upload_2018-12-18_13-57-41.png

3 keypoints addressed when designing this remarkably good looking F-2A are:
    1. Needs to be fairly easy to construct, just as PI T-38 and A-10 with amazing details and curvy surfaces on it.
    2. Scale, scale and scale looking. It inherits the properties of PI scale designs since Eurofighter Typhoon G1E.
    3. Airfoil that would create lift, that also add more confidence for builders flying this plane in a club with storebought planes around (like me; no members in my club build their own planes except myself).
    There are still other standard keypoints for the F-2A design, that are similar to our earlier rear mounted designs. So, we were having similar headaches when we put this one into OpenFOAM when tweaking different curvy surfaces to some certain degrees to get it right, or at least close to what we wanted it to be. Anyhoooo, ... it's just a part of the fun we're having here :D

We also eliminated the lower vertical fins as this F-2A won't place landing gears on it. It will immediately destroy the fins on landing if we didn't remove it. Also, on the final plan, we may suggest builders to have flat horizontal stabilizers in order to avoid damage on landing as the anhidral h-stabs tips are close to the ground. But builders will have a choice to do their own mods to have anhidral h-stabs.

More details to come ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Hami21, andy_downs and jimbosflyin like this.
  2. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

That photo almost looks like mine :rolleyes:.

3. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Υ.Ε.S!!!! FINNALY IT CAME!!!! Please guys when you 'll have the plans count on me to ;) :)

4. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

There's a reason why I placed the picture in this initial post, jimbosflyin ;) your built is the one.

Big thanks Hami :cool: Your excitement and support keep motivating us in trying to come up with better and better design on each release :) We were stunned by your SU-35 built, so we were talking to ourselves that we should raise our own bar on each new design.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

5. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

REC_0002_Moment_Moment.jpg

6. A new multi color came out and I am one of the first to test it,. It is called Stealth Transparent Camo. Easy to apply, coverage is excellent, only one coat required /

2018_1201_142207_001.JPG

7. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I'd patent that. Ghostly. I'm thinking it's optimal effectiveness is in the winter. Lol

Peter

8. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Always excitement is the motivation to do beautiful and unique things my friend! and you do that guys! AWESOME JOB!! Cant wait for you guys to release those plans!
    Im happy to know that a little effort of my side give you such a great raise of your spirit and for aa better improvement of small areas in those plans
    SU-35 IS MY LOVE!! I still have this in one piece after so many flights and still my best buddy ;)
    Now F-2A (Hmmm truth is that i want to (Change that) somehow to F-16 Block 52+...

Question guys....can you create CFT tanks for those plans??? Im only asking because you have already those plans in your hands....is that possible?? Thanks Kostas
    Αmazing Amazing BUILD!!!!! Cnngrats Jimbo! ;)

9. Here is my flight from today with the F-2 Viper, this guy just has a cheep Racestar 2212 2450kv motor with a 6X4 APC prop on it and it cruises really good. Slowly finding the optimum dr settings . First attempt at landing I did a double touch and go then full throttle back up and then came in for a perfect smooth landing. :)

10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

The look is so pleasing, jimbosflyin :)[​IMG] Another masterpiece from your end.

Hi Hami. Thank you so much for the kind words. We could try to make custom CFTs on both sides specially for you once we release the F-2A plan. However, with more curvy surfaces, you may need to trim some edges in order to fit it on to the F-2A/F-16. Further, we haven't done any aerodynamics simulation in OpenFOAM with CFTs attached. Well, I'm sure it's gonna fly good anyway :)

Bouncy bouncy :D An unexpected test for its belly rigidity when having hard landing, Wildthing. Hahaha :D Just like my A-10 when it was out of juice when testing all the 6 servos up there. So grateful to see your F-2A and my A-10 are in good shape after that.

Welldone on the awesome flight! This F-2A is surely a fast bird too.

Google+

11. She cuts through the air really good. :)

andy_downs, Hami21 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  12. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

andy_downs, Hami21, malukk and 2 others like this.
  13. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Just managed to spend few minutes to create the CFTs before my lunch meeting in an hour. Did you mean the tanks like these, Hami?

upload_2018-12-19_12-3-2.png

Man, your imagination is unstoppable my friend :D LOL

Google+

andy_downs, Hami21, malukk and 2 others like this.
  14. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Hey Bimo my Friend!! THAT'S JUST AMAZING if you can do some design on that!! I couldn't find a way to please you more!!! Hehe...a little bit more work to be done that's great a love working especially in this projects imagine that plane with CFT and much closer to the F-16 than the F-2A characteristics!!

Jeff you are the MAN! great job once again! I Feel a bit of jealous watching this bird on the air...hahahaI want some of this excitement to :D:D:DKeep up the great work!

15. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

WHATTTTTTTTTT???????????????? THATS MAN IS BEYOND BELIEF!!! What have you done there??? you are the MASTER OF THE DESIGNS!! I cant believe that you get in this trouble only for me! I feel so blessed that know you all of you guys! unique souls all of you! Bimo I should do something for you mate...I'll send you email ;););):D:D:D
    Haha my imagination has a problem man always new things coming up in my mind I love developing and building stuff as you guys

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  16. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

Impressive job Bimo!

I have not visited the site for a long time and lot of thing are changed, but by far your line of parkjets are outstanding and make a f-16/f-2, the slender plane of all time, shows that you are a master of foam build -faceted build.
    Just my admiration!

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Guy`s, you have made a wonderful job here:)

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I would be very interested how a KF4 wing would perform on this slick model:)
    I would imagine it would give very good inverted performance.

19. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

This is what I imagine for this project!! that paint scheme and those CFT tanks U.N.I.Q.U.E!!! <3 <3 :D :D :D :D 19802566523_d8d4952546_c.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  20. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

great scheme but beyond my talents