Parkflyers International F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R: A New Experience, A New Frontier

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

So this is kind of annoying...

I had put this plane away. I restored it after the last time I destroyed its front half, never to fly it again but with the intention of hanging it for posterity because the shape is absolutely outstanding.

But no, Scott has to go and revive the thread. And now I've had to go and revive my PI F18 G1R, and get started on a few mods that weren't required for wall hanging but will be required if i manage to get it out in Spring:

• I've corrected the droopy right elevon issue (not sure if it's an issue, but it could be so I've fixed it). Don't ask me how I fixed it; the die-hards will have a fit. Let's just hope it doesn't decide to spring back on me while it's airborne...
      #warpedairframe
    • After snapping off the wingtip rails at least 374 times each (maybe slightly more on the left), I've made the front half of them removable. I've used strong magnets so they stay on in flight, which leaves me wondering which part will snap-off next time i knock one...
    • My top hatch is gone. It's been replaced with the fan-favourite bottom hatch.
    • There's a lot of filler on this edition - it was supposed to look nice on the wall. Hopefully it's not too heavy to drag its sorry backside off the lawn.

Hoping to get a remaiden in before Xmas. Wish me luck...

IMG_3855.jpg IMG_3859.jpg IMG_3857.jpg IMG_3854.jpg

2. New rule, no crashing allowed this time. ;)

3. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Challenge accepted; no promises though.

As I’ve said previously, greatest plane I’ve ever built/flown. Not sure it was ever going to stay on the wall for long ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Your post makes me wanna fly this beautiful F/A-18 again, SB

So unfortunate that I haven't got a time to do so.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  5. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Unscathed. By some miracle...

2 packs through The Nemesis on the weekend, and somehow survived. This plane scares the absolute crap out of me, especially on 4S. It is STUPID quick! And sooo friggin’ responsive that it’s flat-out dangerous.

The kids took some video - if I can edit out a decent 3 seconds or so, I’ll post it.

The only plane I’m scared to take for a spin...

[​IMG]

Lgel, e3_Scott, jimbosflyin and 2 others like this.
  6. That is truly awesome, so glad you followed the new rule. :D :D

Now hang it on the wall. ;)

7. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

I think that’s probably sage advice Jeff. Although I can’t justify all the build materials that it’s holding hostage. Wall for now, then to work out it’s fate at a later date.

Btw, the removable wingtip rails paid for themselves - I knocked them off 4 times between leaving the house and getting it home. Might stick with this method, although the additional tip weight may have contributed to the roll responsiveness.

8. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

YESSSS!!!! :cool: Errrrr, ..... what about some paints? :D

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

9. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Paint?!?! No chance! This thing already weighs 700gm on a 75cm-ish wingspan! Every time it survives a launch is a bonus. Paint would just be a waste of paint ;-)

10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  11. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

great idea with the magnetic tips as Im always catching them and snapping them

12. I break half the crap just loading in and out of the truck. :D

13. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

I used BIG magnets Andy, as this thing pulls some serious G. Think they're 8mm x 2mm or thereabouts. I got my finger caught in them once and won't be doing it again.

Maybe you could get away with something smaller/lighter on a more friendly mode of transport.

andy_downs, Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

andy_downs and Splashballz like this.
  15. You never know those big heavy magnets may have rid you of the twitchiness ;) .

I used magnets out of a dead motor, fairly light and thin. I think it was the F-15, I don't know anymore what I have built. :D

16. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

The king of nose jobs is at it again! Been too busy flying this year! Gonked my 18 back in the summer and finally have time.

Peter 20181126_205557.jpg

17. Wondering what happened to you Peter, 0 nose jobs in quite a while !!!! That is a good thing though. ;)

18. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

andy_downs, jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.