Parkflyers International F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R: A New Experience, A New Frontier

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 17, 2017.

1. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Ya, baby! Finally got the maiden done! Wow.
    Sunnysky 2400 swinging a 6x4.5 bullnose. 50a esc. 2x9g metal gear servos on a 2x4 set-up (my fave config)
    Also quite proud to say it's probably the first foam-board PFI F18 G1R out there.

2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Nice flying Pedro.
    A good impression of an excited Bimo thrown in as well:D

3. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

another satisfied customer,flys as good as it looks.

4. How happy are you???? :D :D

Nice job. :)

5. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Very nice peter,I guess I should have Bimo remove my name from the plans ha ?

6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

I'm so sorry, Jimbo! I missed giving you your props. My bad.

Peter

7. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I was kidding Peter,no worries my friend,glad to see you get her in the air.

8. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Congratulations homey! Woohooooo!! Such a good news I have this very early morning before I do my trip.

Way to go man! Glad you love the F/A-18
    Well, it ain't any customers for those who build PI planes, Andy. We're doing the hobby together and at the same time trying to give benefits and share the joy to some people who needs it. At least some that are nearby me at this stage. I only have 2 hands anyway. Would be freankin'ly wierd to have 4 or 6 attached
    It ain't happenin, jimbosflyin

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  9. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

I did the same thing on my maiden. I got her rebuild and we'll try again when it warms up. The rebuild of the nose went great, thanks to Bimo and gang's great design. You can't even tell she crashed.
    20180125_194323.jpg

10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

That's one sweet beauty too sirskyhi. If you didn't inform us you rebuilt the nose, I would think it's freshly built. Welldone!

Google+

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  11. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Ok team, I think it's time to call it. This is easily the best plane I've got, but has also been my arch nemesis...

After finally managing to fly it (and it flew better than anything I've ever flown - see post #665), I decided it was well worth a decent paint job. I had a go at using gap filler for the first time, and it was looking amazing - pics below. It was going to be wearing the RAAF First Squadron 100yr anniversary livery, also pictured.

Decided to take it for another run around the park before painting; first flight was fine. Second flight was a death dive on launch. I just can't pick the problem. I've mixed in some aileron to offset my ridiculous roll-left-on-launch issue, but it just hasn't worked. Launching with less throttle helps to a degree but i need to throw it harder to compensate.

When it flies, it's absolutely the greatest plane I've got. But surviving the first 1 second post-launch has been an epic battle. I think i'm up to my 4th nose on this plane; it's repairable but i'm not sure I've got the time or energy to build another front end.

And now I've managed to kill the ESC as well.

I think I'll park the frustration for a bit and hang it on the wall before deciding to strip out the parts; perhaps I'll feel like picking it up again in a few months; would be such a shame to kill it.

Hope everyone else is going well with various projects!

1.jpg 2.jpg 100yrs.jpg

12. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

That sucks,Peter had a few issues at first but kept with it and he was way too happy when it clicked in for him.

13. That suck really . My solution was I built it at 120% the second time and it launches like a butterfly. The original scale for me I was in the same boat as you.

To pretty to just kill the F18 so make it pretty and have it as a show piece and build the SU-30, that guy is just wonderful

14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

So sorry to know she had another nose dive Peter. Yes, you're right about tossing it harder, it would help it to fly on track on hand launch. Few practices and I was okay sll the time.

Anyway, kindly accept our enormous appreciation for putting the F/A-18 as your best choice plane. We will keep on experimenting to bring the joy to most peoplr's scratchbuilt bench and flying field. However, some of people I trained here think it's quite difficult to construct the F/A-18 as they were familiar with less complexity of the mid mounted SU-37 G1

Google+

15. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

It's all good Bimo - it has absolutely been well worth persevering with. In the sky it just looks immaculate. I think the larger scale would be the answer for me, as @Wildthing suggested. I'm still only a couple of years into the hobby, and I don't get out more than a couple of times per month (if that), so still too much of a novice to handle such a nimble beast.

Perhaps I'll paint it up as a test and learn, then build a bigger one at some stage. Or one of the SUs perhaps...

16. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

That's exactly the right thing to do in my books! Repair and learn. Repeat til you get it and you learn a ton in the process. Tons more joy still to come!

Peter

17. The pushers I do give them a harder chuck and about a 45 degree angle then compared to a mid-mount, those you can rely on prop wash to get it to manoeuvre where as the pusher you need some air speed.

18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I know fall/winter build season is still a ways away in the Northern Hemisphere, but I have been reading through this thread a few times and have watched Bimo's videos and I'm considering pushing myself outside my comfort zone to give this plane a try.

So a few questions in the event I need to gather up any goodies before cutting foam since I either couldn't find the answer or missed it (which is totally possible ;)).

My plan is currently to build stock size, using 5 servos total, two for elevons, two for ailerons and one for rudders. I am considering a 2600ish kv quad racing motor on 3s spinning a 3 blade prop for starters as torque roll seemed to be an issue for a couple of builders/pilots, so I am hoping the 3 blade prop might mitigate that somewhat until I get it flying and balanced. I would also be using a 2200 3S battery. I'm not looking for blazing speed, more scale performance if anything.

Have most folks who have built and flown it ended up on or close to the CG on the plans? By close, if your CG ended up within about 1/4" of what is marked on the plans or has anybody been further away than that?

What sort of control throw have folks found success with on the ailerons and elevons measured in inches/cm or degrees of deflection (both pitch and roll for the elevons in case those are drastically different)?

Would a stabilizer be a good investment for this plane? I know Bimo, myself and others discussed it earlier in the thread, so just wondering if I should pick one up or just take the chance?

Any and all inputs much appreciated and I thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide to the questions above:)

Cheers,

Scott

19. For me at the 100% size I had launch issues and drilled it a number of times and then I built it at 120% , launched like a dream and I believe it has the Paidiss 3000kv or 2700kv PropDrive V2 motor in , so big motor and lots of torque. My balance was right on the marks or very very close to it and for the deflection rate I have nothing for you. All my planes now I mount the control rod in the same hole in the servo arms and control horns and set my dr to 70% and 30% expo and go from there, sorry, getting lazy in my old age.

For me the SU30 flew better at 100% :D :D

20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks Jeff, was your launch issue with your 100% F18 torque roll? Do you remember what power setup you were using?

Cheers,

Scott