Parkflyers International F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R: A New Experience, A New Frontier

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 17, 2017.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

For a better understanding of rudder + elevator only use and the importance of dihedral I have started a new thread with a youtube video because I can`t be bothered to explain it myself.:D

2. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Cheers Ian - I call that one my ‘rusty fingers’ display. It’s been a couple of months since I flew anything, and nearly a year and a half since I flew a 3ch. It was pretty messy actually; maybe the plane’s awesomeness distracted you long enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Well my new motors showed up for the mini F-18. Of course nothin in the performance lineup is the right diameter so had to print a new motor mount. The bushing was worn out in the old one but I have new tiny mini bearings for the new guy. I can't use the old shaft though because it's stepped so need to find some 1mm shaft. ;)

2018_0119_235036_001.JPG 2018_0119_235043_002.JPG 2018_0119_235120_001.JPG

4. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

What a tiny li'l awesomeness

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Wildthing likes this.
  5. bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  6. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

I managed to do a bit on the 18 but still not happy with the wing LE as its started to part again in places so will try and cut it open carefully and epoxy it together as susgested.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  7. Once it starts cracking on a fold it is almost impossible to stop. Can you slice all the way straight down the middle of the fold, trim\sand as needed and then just hot glue the whole edge back together. Almost make it like the SU-30 LE.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  8. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

I shall try but thinking of epoxy to give me a bit more time,dont want to get in a panic half way through glueing.

9. It was just a thought. ;) Post a couple pictures so we can see what you are dealing with.

10. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

seems ok now,not one of my better finishs but it seems nice and strong,hot glue and a bit of tape,its a bit wibbly wobbly with added wrinkles but when painted and in the sky it will look a million dolars.i shall no what to do in future,live and learn. DSCF1439.JPG DSCF1440.JPG DSCF1442.JPG DSCF1441.JPG

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Andy when I do a folded Armin wing I hold the leading edge together with plasterboard scrim tape.
    I have tried packing tape but it splits.

12. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Hey Andy, my leading edges are totally epoxy, after my attempt with UHU Por failed (like it was ever going to hold - let’s not go there). Trying to make the join retrospectively meant I couldn’t use hot glue and get it closed quick enough. Epoxied a couple of inches at a time, taped off under load. Continued until finished. And the cherry on top - it sanded up a treat. You can’t do that with hot glue.
    In the right build sequence though, I would use hot glue next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

more things to try I like it and don't need a model shop as I no longer have one as well.

14. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

my original idea was to use epoxy to do the repair but didn't have enough so used hot glue which I rarely use,horrible stuff,i shall use epoxy on the su wings,you live and learn.

15. Looks awesome, nobody would know if you didn't say anything. :)

16. All my folded wings are like what FT shows for the Spitfire and using hot glue, I couldn't see myself using epoxy to do the same job. YUK. ;)
    I don't cut that wide taper as in the plans, I cut a 1/4" wide 45 degree wedge out of the wing, I flatten down those edges with my ruler (3 times) . I use 1 1/2: green painters masking tape , starting on the center line with 1 strip and then 2 more strip on each side of the center. I now work that fold until I am 180 degrees folded or flat. Hot glue the inside leading edge then the spare and following with the trailing edge and fold and hold. I have my 4' ruler there to aid in holding the trailing edge flat and even. Works slick every time for me and 2 minutes later I am peeling the tape off and back to work.

17. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

I tried both epoxy and hotglue for some folded wings. Both work just fine. But I mostly went with hotglue the last few builts as it would cure much faster than epoxy.

There are few things I put some more attention when folding the wing:
    1. Good extreme packing tape. This is very important as it needs to hold the 2 pieces together. The tape needs to stick to the pieces strongly. I clean up the surfaces before I tape them. But I mostly give it a try with scrap depron first. Next, is testing the scrap pieces again after some few rehearsals (so the edges that meet together will be softened a bit) with hotglue. Once I'm confident, then I move to the wing
    2. Hotglue should be hot enough. I'd prefer to overheat the hotglue (but not that much of overheat) before glueing the edges that meet together. The heat will slightly melt the edges and join them nicely when folded.

I practiced many many times before getting to the point that I'm mostly feeling confident now.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I do my folded wings pretty much like Jeff with hot glue but use scrim tape to reinforce the join along the leading edge. I also make my control hinges with uhu por and scrim tape , never had a failure. Some time s if I`m not entirely happy with the hinge I will smear a very thin bead of hot glue along the inside of the hinge and wipe most of the glue off.
    I should point out that I usually use the soft aero Depron and the LE`s need some protection, that`s why I uhu por the scrim tape and leave it on.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  19. Well mini F-18 ain't going anywhere fast, 2 of the 3 motors barely turn and get hot fast. And yes I tried them all separately or all 3 together and at different leads with the same results

20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

:(