Parkflyers International F/A-18 Super Hornet G1R: A New Experience, A New Frontier

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 17, 2017.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

When we pour hotglue evenly on the edge which top and bottom wingplates meet, after finishing the wing construction, we could even peel the tape and have a smooth leading edge airfoil too

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

andy_downs and Wildthing like this.
  2. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Beautiful Scale Details in a Foamy. Sign me up!

Bimo, Keep up the good work. You are taking foam to the next level.

4. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Huge appreciation for the enthusiasm, XDmToter. Kindly accept our big thanks too for the kind support to our activities :)

Google+

5. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

My best win yet (in this hobby at least)...

So you may remember my epic battle with this plane, ending in epic front-end destruction back in early November…

IMG_2768.JPG

It was heavy (4ch, 6 servos), small, and my CG was probably off. No matter what I did, it rolled hard left on launch and was unrecoverable. I told the PI guys that I would give it one more repair, but I would need to change a few things before I threw it again. And then, if it was still no good, it was going in the bin as my first ever failed build.

Now, 2 months later I’ve had a chance to get the repairs done, and this morning we’ve had a win!! This plane is a beast – it’s easily the quickest plane in my hangar; it’s nimble and it’s rock-solid in the sky. Its scale lines look outstanding, and it’s pushing unlimited vertical on a 2200kv motor, 6x4 prop with 4S lipo. None of my other builds have been capable of this. This plane really is something else. This is how it went:

I took out a warm-up plane – 2 months with no flying did not bode well for a good remaiden attempt. So I took my trusty old F18 V3; my go-to, never-fail plane. I was inundated with flies and nearly packed it in before I started, but somehow stuck it out. Flew one lipo around the park and I was all warmed up.

On launch of the GR1, I still had a nasty left-roll problem (which I think is my elevon alignment rather than a torque-roll issue). But with the much lower weight, it was easily corrected. I put two 3S lipos through and tootled around, before loading up the big 4S - and man did this thing hammer!! OMG, I’ve never had a plane go so quick yet stay so stable. The attached video doesn’t do it justice, but you can kinda see how much real estate it covers in a short time.

So what did I change?
    • The obvious – I had to rebuild the whole front end, plus heat out a bent elevon. I also reinforced the elevons with skewers.
    • I took the rudders off, glued them in place, removed the servos and rods,
    • I added a hatch to the bottom and moved the ESC below the wingplate (remember there was no underside hatch on the plans when I first built this). This meant I could shorten the motor-ESC leads significantly and also had a lot more play to shift the ESC as needed. So now I have a top and bottom hatch – my first multi-hatch build.
    • I reinforced the elevon anchor points – I already have a CF rod in there, but a few crashes has destroyed the foam in that area. So I stuck some icy-pole sticks in there – never tried this before, no idea what effect it would have.
    • I added new CG marks further aft of the original ones, balancing the plane further back than I originally did.
    • I added the missile rails and wingtips, hoping for better lateral stability.
    • Set-up: I made heaps of tweaks in the radio to the end-points, sub-trim and expo.

I've attached a few images showing some of the changes.

My AUW went from 760gm to 648gm (26.8oz to 22.8oz), which I think made all the difference. Plus I think the plane was much better balanced than before.

So glad I persevered with the build – I’ll fiddle a little more with the elevons to see if I can get a smoother launch, but I’m more than happy to keep flying this monster as is.

Thanks to the PI team for another cracker…

IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3027.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg

6. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Success is sweet! Glad to see you got it ironed out. Nice job. I'm kinda looking forward to flies mate. I'm in South Alabama and it's snowing down here for the second time this winter. :(

7. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Be-You-Tea-Full!!!

I'm having a lunch time now by the time my Tapatalk pinged me. And there you are SB, with successful remaiden flight. Congratulations! You've put a huge smile on my face just now also a big joy of laugh knowing you finally made it!

That 4S is really something for the F/A-18. It gives huge kick and punch on speed. Anyway, RCPlanePirate from UK recommended me to use turnigy 2826 2200kv with Turnigy Plush 40A ESC to make use of my Eurofighter Typhoon 4S battery. Let's see how it goes on this Super Hornet.

Simply awesome SB! Welldone! So, any paint scheme came cross your kind?

Google+

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  8. That's awesome SB, that 4 oz probably made a world of difference, small WS and high wing load makes for a a fun plane once you get it up there. :D My first was destroyed also so I know where you are coming from but I am really happy you had a successful day. Wait till you try the SU-30 ;)

9. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Haha, thanks FT. You're welcome to take my flies if you want... but you can keep your snow as well. It doesn't snow where I am - it did once get down to about 2C though; just about shut down the whole city :)

10. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Thanks Bimo, it's nice to have the win. My PI F15C flies on the Turnigy 2826 2200kv with Turnigy Plush 40A ESC, 6x4 prop, and a 4S. I'm only using the 3S lipos now as for warm-up runs and maidens - just can't gt the same punch out of them. And yes, i think a paint scheme is in order...

11. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Thanks for all your help with the build Jeff - the weight saving has made a huge difference, although I feel like a dud flying 3ch now - I kept trying to turn with rudders that weren't there! I'm sure I'll adjust; I'm hanging to get this thing out there again...
    Ah, the SU-30 - I think i'll get to it by 2022 at my pace...

12. She looked cool up there and has great speed, told numerous people that little Turnigy 2200 on 4S is solid, 40A esc and away you go. I believe Airflow turned me onto that setup.

80% of my planes have no rudders, I think it's because I haven't forced myself to do it, eliminate the ailerons and make it mandatory. ;)

13. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

That's an interesting thought - elevons and rudders only. I haven't tried that before; always kept the ailerons to protect against the overbanking issue when turning with rudders, but a good set of elevons should be able to do the same, right? A 4ch plane with no ailerons; only 4 servos onboard (or 3 depending how you set-up the rudders), would be a good weight saving. I like your thinking...

14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

I haven't tried it on mine without ailerons. I love having ailerons to maintain banking agility. Specially when combined with elevons. Rudder is good. Have it in my Aeronca L3 Tourer. But mostly, I'm satisfied with ails and elevs

Google+

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m so pleased you got the bugs ironed out, a shame about the flies though I thought you were developing Tourettes at first:D
    That was a nice display you put on there, it certainly put a smile on my face, well done mate.:)

16. Noooooo Elevator and rudder only

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  17. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  18. bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT?????????????????????
    Elevator and rudder you would need dihedral and even then it would spell disaster on this plane.
    Elevon and rudder.
    Or aileron and elevator
    Or elevons and aileron.

20. I think if I was to try it I would do it on something simple like the Baron. ;)

bogusbandit56 and bimoadiprakoso like this.