Parkflyers International Expertimental: Grumman F-14D Tomcat G1R-S

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Mar 25, 2018.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi TF. I clearly agree that some planes may not bring satisfaction to some people. However, some of us as builders and flyers, share some personal preferences, memories and even engagements with some particular planes.

PI doesn't have any intention to design all planes since first place nor receive design request from some builders. We design some planes that we feel we would enjoy designing, building and flying it. Based on that, we know that some people may share the similar experience while some may have the opposite. Those who seek different kind of challenges in this hobby are having broadest choices to look for free and paid plans on the web. Or even design their own planes, if they can. But we will stick ourselves with depron sheets and simplicity, towards plane designs that we love to look at and watch.

Of course with the more complex designs, we encountered greater challenges. These challenges may not be suitable for beginners or casual builders/flyers. But, some of those beginner or casual builders may enjoy the challenges the same way we enjoy them ourselves. Who knows.

With this F-14, we don't expect all people to build it. We love in experiencing the design challenges to find the most simple way to apply swinging wing. We love in failing when we knew the common servo didn't work because we know that we needed to look for the answer for that. We love in deciding whether we need airfoil or just gluing 2 sheets of depron as sandwiched wing. We love to define most efficient rods reinforcement placement on the depron sheets. We love everything we did in designing it. And nothing would somehow subtract those excitements from us as we keep on moving forward and never look back.

If you observe close enough to our web page, it shows constant evolution from profile planes, mid mounted and pusher designs along the time. We learn something new when designing new plane. Of course not all builders would experience what we found along the way when we experimented with many things during design phases. Long story short, we love the design process no matter what other people may say. We do thing we love to do, and it doesn't hurt any other people for sure when we're doing it. When some people build PI planes, they may have some different expectations from each other. When some couldn't find it there, they're free to go with other plans/designers, or just making some simple mods. No harm is done.

So, I personally hope that you would find and enjoy building whatever other planes you enjoy building and flying as you mostly painted your built quite sleek.

Good luck TF.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Flybyknight22, EricR, malukk and 4 others like this.
  2. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

I will...instead of copying a build point for point as the real aircraift....that does not work for scale.I've been flying these planes planes over ten years .Want to build a model?Then build PI aircraft.RCP aircraft fly.....and that they do.NO not maybe scale but they fly.Take notes.........they fly.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. That's great, can't wait to see your design. I really am looking forward to it.

4. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Great work PI! You guys just keep on pushing the limits. Every piece of thought leadership, whether experimental or definitive, helps kick the hobby along that little bit further.

Can’t wait to see more of these in the sky.

And don’t worry about the trolls - wherever there’s innovation, there’ll be a hater claiming expertise through drunk posts, but only succeeding in making themselves look like a d*ck. Pretty sure every one of your designs has been flown by somebody somewhere in the world, so the flawed and unfounded arguments count for zero.

I’d prefer to make myself look like a tool by trying, crashing and posting for the world to see - that’s why we’re all here, right? So keep ‘em coming!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Well said!

Peter

6. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Totally agree with you there!

These are park jets, they're designed to look like the real plane but not totally scale like and be flown in a manner that doesn't require years of skill to give a satisfying flight.

Are they the "be-all-and-end-all" of plane design? No, but by the same token they're not claiming to be either.
    They're good fun, great to build and above all else give enjoyment to almost everyone that flies one.

That's what we're all here for right? Enjoyment from building and flying?

The park jet world turned me from a very poor flyer into a reasonable one now so that I can build semi-scale looking planes and have the confidence to fly them without the great dilemma of "how much did this perfect plane cost me that I've just crashed" - they're just foam and are easy to replace, rebuild and fly again!

Keep up the good work Bimo and Co :)

7. If I had started off buying expensive planes or spending hours on end building balsa ones god knows I wouldn't be here anymore, I crash way to much for that :D . This is fun and the cost is minimal compared to the other way. I have learned a ton from everyone on this forum and I was lucky to team up with Bimo and Ian before PI even existed and that was only a couple years ago. My building skills have gone way up in this short time and knowledge of how to make something fly has expanded (still learning) . Bimo and Ian are the brains, me I am just the test crash dummy. :D I look back at the very simple designs a few years ago and compare them to what they are now and it's huge evolution in designs. Do they all work, heck no , but that's how we learn. I am now not afraid to try designing something on my own which is cool and gives you even more satisfaction when things go right. Look at Peter with his self designed wings, I am super proud of that.

8. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

has one of my friends says fun fun fun that's what its all about,from a man who flys 18 foot lancasters he was at the field to day with a self design harrier jump jet foamie,laughing all the time even when the batt gave up.

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Well I hope your Lightning design was not just a one off. I am still in awe of that design and build:)

10. A guy has to get lucky once in awhile. :D I have some very very rough plans but most of the shell is cut to fit. The P-38 I was totally amazed how well it flies right out of the box. The P-60 turned out nice, the Taranis after a few mods is working, the Horten still has to get into the air.

11. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Guys, thank you so much for being supportive to each other and keep on bringing the fun into this hobby. I couldn't enjoy this hobby without any of you guys out there. So again, I'm so grateful to be a part of this lovely RCP forum.

May we continue to build, fly, and of course less crashing so we could keep on building and flying til our hangars are fully loaded with planes so our wives will give us another room to keep our new planes again and again. Hahahaha :D just kidding guys. May we all enjoy this hobby more, along the time.

Really appreciate the warm and continuing support, friends! Cheers! :)

Google+

12. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

13. The PI experimental F-14 Tomcat hit the air again (FINALLY) . Wing servos worked great and the wings stayed on the plane. All is good.

14. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

Would it upset you if I mentioned I want to build a MiG-21 at some point? :p

15. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

May i ask you guys....when those plans will be released??? :) :)

16. We are still waiting on Bimo to build and verify his, Bimo has been extremely busy the last few months. Jim's is built but yet to be maidened due to weather.

17. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

I'm working on a rear motor mount Fitter.

18. scott0910

scott0910 Ace Pilot

Hi Bimo, Good day! Long time no see.
    Found that you guys designed and built lots of good planes in these days.
    I'm hard to decide which one to buid first. :) Maybe the Typhon G1E.
    I had never fly EDF plane in the past so I want to give it a try.

I love F14 since I saw a movie ,Top Gun, in my childhood.
    After seeing Jeef's flight video I can't wait to have a same one.
    Great built, painting jobs and flight, Jeff.

Looking forward the release of this plane.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  19. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Ooo i see ok guys ;) i will wait for those plans when you will be ready for it ;) :)

20. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Everyone.

Wow! Missing the forum for nearly 2 weeks and I've been missing tons of excitements! Really sorry guys.

Well, I only have some small progress on the F-14 built as I'm totally consumed by work and traveling schedules. The only thing I could do in the middle of my work is to complete the Mig-31 Foxhound design, small progress at a time.

upload_2018-5-9_9-29-27.png

upload_2018-5-9_9-30-2.png

So sorry for my absence guys. I promise you guys all that I will complete the built and have the design released. A good thing for people who love the F-14 but may not be able to go with the complexities of swinging wings, could just simply glue the wing to have fixed wing at a certain angle so it will give balance stability and agility as the design is just elevons only.

Please be patient guys, I'm so sorry for the inconvenience.

Google+