Parkflyers International Expertimental: Grumman F-14D Tomcat G1R-S

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Mar 25, 2018.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looked good Jeff! Plane looks awesome and it appears that the sweeping mechanism is strong enough to prevent flex which is a killer. By having the CG a little far back for unswept configuration it was probably just right for swept. It appeared to nose dive slightly the couple times you swept the wing and "zoomed" when you unswept. This is what I meant when I mentioned trimming the elevons separately for swept and unswept. The center of pressure is whats changing when you sweep the wing, so if the cg and center of pressure align better when swept it'll be really stable. If center of pressure and CG align better when unswept then it'll be more stable when unswept. With the Panavia I found the ideal CG between the 2 positions. I also found that the elevons are pretty inefficient when wings are swept since they lose leverage as the planes pivot point moves to the rear. Great flight!

2. Hi,
    It felt a little tad tail heavy for extended, the swept felt really good and could easily go forward on the cg and still handle nice. Didn't notice much drop going to swept, some zoom the other way but once all said and done when I let go of the stick and it stayed level in both modes and I didn't have to compensate for it at all. The elevons seemed like they had good authority in the swept mode. In extended the pitch had more authority and in swept the roll had more authority so they just reversed from one to the other. I still have tons of room to adjust the throws and such, this was a educated guess on throws, rates and expo. I could set up my dual rates one for each mode but not sure if I really need to. Without having to trim it for both modes it's just like flying two different planes with different personalities but the trim is set already for both. All the info is great, this is my first retractable wing plane so I didn't know what to expect. Nice part is it came home in one piece. ;)

Cheers
    Jeff

3. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Definitely good to bring her down in one piece, and at those temperatures you kept your reflexes as well. Really nice project, congratulations!

4. Thank You.

5. Very nice job PI, congratulations!!

She looks excellent in the air nicely done Jeff!

6. Thanks Malukk,

7. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Looks great Jeff! I found with my Tornado the roll rate was the biggest change between the three sweep positions I had set up. Forward was great for overall lift and cruising slowly. Take off and landing was best on that mode too.
    Mid sweep was a great all rounder, rolls were controlled and predictable.
    Fully swept was fun as it would roll like a drill if you pushed it but still remained stable.

The zooming up you're getting is probably the speed of sweep that you've got set up. I programmed a one second delay between positions on mine to ease the transition a bit and it stopped it from unsettling when I moved the sweep.

All in all though a cracking job and looks great in the air!

8. Thanks Leigh,
    Some experiments don't work and some do :) , it's nice when they do. :)

Cheers
    Jeff

9. I was waiting for the wings to fly out. :D

10. Hey Malukk, all l
    All loaded up with a 2200 3S battery, Propdrive V2 2836 2700kv motor and a HK 60A ESC 33.5 oz.

11. Sorry forgot to weigh in mine. Just did and it came out to 29.5 oz AUW with 2200kv, 2250mah 70C battery.

12. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

jimbosflyin, I always admire your built, paintjob and mods. That's truly awesome Grim Reaper paint job
    Outstanding built and Jolly Rogers paintjob Wildthing! Wish I could finish mine soon
    WOW! Your persitence really paid tons back! Brilliant successful maiden flight Wildthing!
    Hi Scott. Well, there's room for extra servos (light ones) and rudders. But we didn't put into simulation account for the rudders. Surely a piece of cake addition for you to have the rudders on this one

I'm still struggling to find time to finish my built

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Ok, thanks for the response, Bimo.

Cheers,

Scott

F1wanabe and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Flybyknight22 and F1wanabe like this.
  15. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

You guys certainly know how to build, paint, and fly them beautiful! The challenges faced and the way they are being taken on just adds to the beauty of the plane as well. Looking at Wildthing's maiden I think I can spot some of the turning characteristics of the real thing:

This plane looks like it has a lot of room for mastery in it, and those limitations you find in certain conditions provide something specific about the plane to learn about, providing a great deal of character that boosts the 'feel good factor' you get when you learn to fly it through all sorts of maneuvers smoothly. Very nicely done! Makes me wanna push on with my own journey and progress faster! :D

16. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Really appreciate the kind words MMP086 :) It's the passion we have that keeps driving us forward. And all support from parkjet lovers surely becomes the burning fuel for us.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

17. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

To many issues...... as the last builds.Expert flyer or not.I would think the last builds and the problems would have been fixed before moving foreward to new builds.If it's not the builds then instructions should be given to get these builds into flight.I looked into PI and the builds stopped at su30.Time or no time......control issues are being lost.Only my opinion.

18. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

Still nothing new....same problems as past builds with other builders.

19. Well come up with a design and lets us judge it!!!

20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Instead of just making blanket statements like that why don't you explain what problems these designs (not builds) have instead of bashing people all the time. You obviously don't like PI for some reason and if you aren't building these planes how do you know they are so inferior?