Parkflyers International Expertimental: Grumman F-14D Tomcat G1R-S

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Mar 25, 2018.

1. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Brilliant Wildthing! That's gonna be schweet! Is there a spar in the wings?

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  2. No, 2 sheets laminated together. Jim has an idea and I may have one but another day when I can waste some foam just trying it.

3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Way to go Wildthing! Wish I could start cutting mine

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

jimbosflyin and malukk like this.
  4. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Attached Files:

andy_downs and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  5. Thats why I always wondered what would he do if he had a CNC... may be he doesnt need one

6. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

7. Cutting is probably my most disliked part of this, right after that is painting. LOL A CNC machine and a robo paint man and I would be laughing. :)

8. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

9. Next phase was installing the fuse and bottom plate. Who knows if I did it in the right order, didn't come with any instructions. :D

2018_0317_221239_001.JPG 2018_0317_224227_001.JPG 2018_0318_102321_001.JPG

10. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

FlyteTime, jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  11. Oh, before some of this assembly were some strategic holes added for servo wires through the nacelles to the center (green squares) and then some through the battery bed and support to fish all the wires to the front canopy area.

2018_0317_171719_002.JPG 2018_0317_171724_003.JPG 2018_0318_082212_001.JPG

12. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

What's the length and wingspan on this bad boy?

bimoadiprakoso, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  13. That's a good question, I will have to go measure mine. :)

bimoadiprakoso, malukk and FlyteTime like this.
  14. Ok, 41" Length, wings swept back 28" width and wings extended about 42"

15. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Wow that's bigger than I thought. It's basically square with the wing extended. I know it's gonna be awesome.

16. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

WEll even though you will probably not like what I type.My say so is not from internet but from experience.And to that point I have you.The TomCat was a big failure against the migs.MIne is experience....and nothing else.The Cav that has the big yellow patch with the horse in the top right corner and a black slash through it, what it stands for? .....they got there butts kicked.This jet is a big moving tank that could not stand against the migs.Look for this info on the internet.....you won't find it.

andy_downs likes this.
  17. For me what a jet did in real life has no meaning to me, heck until I found this forum only a few years ago and started building planes I couldn't name any of them, let alone tell you which one was better or worse. This is just a fun hobby for me. I mean this in no disrespect to all of you that have served or are still serving in one way or another in our forces or any countries forces. My hat of to you and I have great respect for your sacrifices.

18. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

The simulations gave us some conditions to learn and led us to have some workarounds in order to design an enjoyable parkjet to fly which is a rendition of F-14D.

The CFD simulation showed huge vortices following the full extended wings, making the elevons less functioning which may lead to unresponsive maneuverability. So, we did some more heavy simulations on the angles of the max expanded wing and found a sweet spot which still gave good elevons authorities when the wing is expanded. So, we stick to that state by limiting the max expanded wing angle to a certain level (still at very nice angle to look at and look normally expanded from the ground) and giving nice control authorities on bank and pitch.

This would not be a parkjet that will compete with SU-30SM G3R or T-50 G1 maneuverability, or SU-35 G2. It's meant for builders/flyers that would like to have casual flying and enjoy to look at their own built that represents true scale of a parkjet up there while giving another different excitements in having swinging wing experience with building simplicity

An experiment though, as we are just a bunch of builders that love learning out from things that could be designed and constructed by our own minds and hands Once it works, we'll have the chance to share it with the world.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

19. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Bravo Jeff, well put!

20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Sounds like it's right up my alley!

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.