Parkflyers International Expertimental: Grumman F-14D Tomcat G1R-S

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Mar 25, 2018.

1. I have played with a couple things using bearings and 3D printing, for example on my Horten H7 my motors are infront of the cg mark and I have driveshafts to the rear for the prop. 3D printed mount/vertical all in one with bearings in the middle for support. Still yet to be flown. :D

The plane we want to try to keep it as simple as possible so that anyone can build it without having to go buy special equipment or supplies.

2. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Greg. Thanks for dropping a post in this experimental thread.

Yes I had seen FRC F-14 and it's a good combination between simplicity and joy with swing wing selections :)

There were some airflow calcs performed on fuselage, intakes, wings and elevons. We need to experiment with some choices to confirm the calcs and simulation. At the moment, I'm quite tied up with work so Wildthing and jimbosflyin have been doing fantastic job with their great thoughts and feedbacks with the experiments. The fluid dynamics simulations were performed under few high end computers to speed up the calculation in different situation and state when it's flying.

We hope that we would come up with some good results on simplicity and scale lines in building it, combined with the joy when flying it :)

We did think of having ailerons but as you said, it will take away the simplicity which we wouldn't opt to. Quoting Wildthing's: "The plane we want to try to keep it as simple as possible so that anyone can build it without having to go buy special equipment or supplies." :)

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

3. Good thing of a large supply of paint cans and such, emptied almost every cupboard :D . All cf strips installed. :) Started with the main plate and the spacers and the fuse structure.

2018_0315_151325_001.JPG 2018_0314_233727_001.JPG 2018_0315_084441_001 (1).JPG

4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

WHAT! IS! THIS!!!!!

5. Foam and glue!!!!

6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

The Chicks are gonna Dig it!

7. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

8. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

And carbon fiber rods.

malukk, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  9. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I just noticed in the title of the thread, "Expertimental ". So it's an experiment by experts. I'll buy that.

10. "Experts" Where????? ;)

11. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

They are all around me! Here's my definition.... one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.:D:D:D Just kidding. :) Can't wait to see the 14D take wings.

12. In my books you are an expert for sure!

13. You mean a walking book of useless knowledge??? :D :D

Thanks for the compliment but not in this field. :)

andy_downs, malukk, F1wanabe and 2 others like this.
  14. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

It was a typo actually. But it does rhyme doesn't it?
    Definitely he is, malukk. And his specialty is speed in mostly everything: building, flying, etc.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

15. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

16. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

That's exactly what we went for as well, and it was an eye opener how little control the elevons had unless you were fully swept due to the polar moment of the plane while unswept. And we have thrust vectoring on ours! Thought I'd offer a bit of advice regarding elevon size especially without TV. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how the sweeping mechanism works, guys!

17. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

18. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Hey malukk, your swing wing functions very well. The Tornado swinger I'm building uses the exact same Shumate design. I'm hoping mine works as good as yours. Thanks for the tip on the TGY-380MG servo. I'm gonna order one for my build. ;)

19. Wing assembly together, everything is moving freely. When assembling I added thin plastic strips on both sides of the wing to act as shims so a person doesn't compress the two plates to tight and bind the wings. Once the glue is cured just pull the strips out. Fuse assembly and rear nacelles next on the list.

2018_0317_082826_002.JPG 2018_0317_170035_001.JPG 2018_0317_182943_001.JPG 2018_0317_174232_002.JPG

20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I knew you made a typo Bimo but it turned into an excellent example of a portmanteau! And yes malukk, slow is not in Wildthings vocabulary at all. He's like a machine.:):)