Parkflyers International Expertimental: Grumman F-14D Tomcat G1R-S

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Mar 25, 2018.

1. This was out of Depron. I think if you used mpf or the new stuff I am trying (Fli-Power value XPS foam ) with the balsa LE along with the couple cf reinforcements will be all you need.

2. No I don't sorry, I will have to go dig it out and measure it. Looks to pretty to fly so it got put on the back shelf. :D God knows I would crash it doing something stupid. ;)

3. Ok, Jim has answered the important question about edfs and you don't have room for the proper size. I should have read all the posts first. ;)

4. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

All you need now is an aircraft carrier Bimo.

Let me see what I can do :p

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  5. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

For a 70 probably whey more than double,even tripple the size,as some would say...forget about it :cool:.

6. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Jeff,
    Just wondering how much bigger the engines would have to be enlarged to accept 70mm EDFs.

7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Gotcha Jim,
    I was afraid of that.
    Thanks.

8. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Where do you get your depron from?

Can’t find any here in the states.

9. Depron is no longer,

bimoadiprakoso and Flybyknight22 like this.
  10. It was from RC Foam in the US but the company that supplied them said no more and stopped producing it period.

bimoadiprakoso and Flybyknight22 like this.
  11. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yeah I know about RC Foam Jeff, they supplied me with MPF over the years.

There are a number of depron manufacturers here in the states and around the world but it’s flooring insulation size, nothing we can use.

I saw Austrailia still sells sheets of 6mm depron on eBay and a few other spots so you can still get some there.

I was looking for some a tad closer if possible.

12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Just continue to wonder if it is at all possible to do :p

Is it possible at all Jim to make it work for Twin 70mm EDFs by enlarging engines at the rear and then tapering them into the forward part of the engine, something like I crudely show here
    or maybe change the size of the engines the entire length of the plane with the extra real estate of foam underneath?

The Shumate F-14 had a Twin EDF version using 70mm EDFs that’s was pretty spectacular and is similar in size and scope as this one.

Thought it would be great to see this in an EDF version.

8A58772C-08D3-40B8-9231-36DE44EFF548.jpeg

13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I wouldn't know where you would fit the batteries that you would need to run them,Shumates desighn had a lot more room in the fuseladge I believe.

14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I also don't think the wings will support all this weight.

15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Both designs are not exactly the same that’s for sure but still very similar.

There would necessarily be more mods needed to convert the plane successfully to EDF. Including battery space etc.

It may not be worth it at all, just thinking out loud.

I wonder is there room for one 3300mah or one 4000mah 4-cell now? Without any deminsions all I can do is ask you guys that have built it.

I guess I could experiment with the design when I get more time and see what might be done if anything.

Thanks guys for letting me bounce this off of you.

16. This one is just not built for an edf conversion, the whole structure from front to back is all wrong for a twin edf setup.

17. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi FBK :) Thanks. Well, aircraft carrier would be too much for me. Hahaha :D Should there be any, I'm sure my daughter would keep on bringing it to the swimming pool so would be a waste for my F-14.

As for EDF, no chance to fit in a pair of 70mm EDFs to this baby. This one had been designed ground-up as pusher. So sorry my friend. I even have a pair of 70mm EDF I scrapped from a given Freewing SU-35, but I let them hide in a box for many months already.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yeah, looks like it.

19. colorc

colorc Airman

got everything lined up to cut. will get working on that tomorrow. i was looking at the specs on my savox digitals and at 6v. they only do 2.5kg. do you think this will be to be enough for the swing wing?

Attached Files:

20. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

My Emax ES 3104 are at 2.5 at 6v and they seemed to work fine but I really didn't put them through many flites to test longevity.