Parkflyers International Expertimental: Grumman F-14D Tomcat G1R-S

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

Your builds are outstanding, good thing that you could distract a few hours from work to fly.

Cheers.

2. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Hami21. Thank you so much for the kind words. So sorry, still no luck for me having spare time to do the construction guide
    Big thanks Lgel looks like another flight would have to wait. I have no idea on when it's gonna happen.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

3. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Hello Bimo my friend ;) ooo i see no problem i have done some work on that project but when you will be able to have the quide then i will start bulding it ;)

4. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Really appreciate your kind understanding Hami21. Won't leave the construction guide behind :)

Google+

5. whatmovesyou

whatmovesyou Top Gun

To add more flair to your tomcat, why don't you automate your throttle movement (say 1/3 throttle) so as you increase it, it MOVES the wing back.all the way at full throttle.

Switch 1A-- wing is fixed forward
    Switch 1B-- wing stays upfront until throttle is say1/3 or whatever and as you move throttle forward the swing angle changes. It is only when throttle is full open, is it all the way back.

As you can see, the wing can be placed anyway you want or mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=13&v=-aFAZsG_3Kc

It can be done by changing your older radios to helicopter mode, and use the collective channel's to graph the movement of the wing verses throttle possition. If you have the newer radios, leave it in airplane mode and use the pitch graph to do the same. Nothing has to be done to the plane or RX.

Will help anyone who wants to give it a go.

6. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Hey PI team, alas my hiatus continues, but I’m wondering what your AUW and wingspan is on this beauty (for each of you)? Apologies if you’ve always posted these earlier in the thread. Thanks guys!
    @bimoadiprakoso, @Wildthing, @jimbosflying

7. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi SB Hope all is great at your end.

The AUW of my built is somewhere around 700grams. I replaced some carbon rods with bamboo rods, other than ones on the wings. The ones on the wing are required because the weight was already calculated to compensate the CG when it's shifting from collapsed to close or the other way.

I'm using 1800mah battery as well. It gave me around 10 mins of flight time which is enough for me. It cuts down weight nearly 90grams from 2200mah.

Wildthing and jimbosflyin will share their AUWs

Google+

8. LOL, I never did scale mine and I used the 2200 3S battery . I will have to dig out the scale and see what it is.

bimoadiprakoso and Splashballz like this.
  9. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Mine sits at 23oz or 654 grams with out battery.

10. Ahah, I did weigh it way back then, 33.5 oz with a 2200 3S battery and with the wings extended 42" WS.

11. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

At this point mine weights 265gr with two servo on it! With battery,cables,motor prop and esc it comes close to 530gr plus painting 600gr this will reach for sure ;) but thats ok i think :)

Attached Files:

12. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Hami. Congratulations! That a nice and neat built you have there. You're gonna own the Greece sky with it

Surprisingly, it has bigger wing area tham the SU-30SM so it glides much better than the SU-30. Off course it's not as agile as tge SU-30SM with ailerons but the F-14D is a true joy to fly and look at when airborne

It's still a hot topic for my club members to discuss about the same situation the SU-30SM is having til now. Many flyers at my club just couldn't believe, it inherits amazing scale lines from the real one.

Wait til you paint it. It will give you a feeling that tells "Man, .... it's just too good to fly it. Hopefully nothing bad happens"

Google+

Flybyknight22, jimbosflyin and malukk like this.
  13. Splashballz

Splashballz Ace Pilot

Ok, so I'm getting a picture here... Jim, Bimo and Hami have all landed between 600-700gm AUW (different lipos, paint, etc), for a plane with a 1m wingspan (extended). Sounds about right for a 2200kv / 6x4(x3) / 40A ESC, on 3 or 4S.

Jeff's added some leadshot to his and come in at 950gm, yet somehow it seems to fly too ;-)

Thanks for sharing - now it's back into the non-RC-life box for me...

14. Remember Jim's weight is without battery and mine is with so we are very close. I am running a NTM 2836 2700kv motor and a 60A esc so I have a little extra there. But even at that weight with the wings extended it launches like a butterfly. :) For safety reasons for landing I did it with the wings swept , just less chance of catching a wing tip and breaking something but you come in a little hotter.

15. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Ιnstall Red LED Strip lights on the nozzles guys and also sand the most of the plane...have a little work to do but i think that in the weekend i'll be able to make some progress! Also i have navigation lights for this jet as well as the Su-35 has :) hope that new batteries will come fast because i really miss flying....i dont have batteries now and i am...:mad: here is the progress so far :) upload a video also

here :);)

Attached Files:

16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Nice work Hami.

17. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Τhank you my friend :D :D :D when I'll have those batteries i'll dod the maiden! :) ;)

18. VERY COOL. :)

19. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Thanks bro ;) :D hehehe you guys are masterminds! ;););)

20. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Fantastic bling bling, Hami ;)

Google+