Parkflyers International Design and Build Log: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

YOU ARE THE BOSS!!! Hehehe!!!excellent instructions better than instructions guide haha I will keep in mind anything you said and I''ll try to do my best for this Beauty (Amazing plane and sound went is on the Air!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!So far I have accomplished to get my process to the current state The best thing is that all the pieces are came out from a single sheet of depron! and here is the result at this point :) :D

Attached Files:

2. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

You have a nice clean build there Hami.

bimoadiprakoso, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  3. Looks awesome, you are fast and I don't think you need instructions. :)

The little cowl piece under the nose goes on very last once your esc is in.

You want to now completely assemble the main wing but don't install the servos yet. Then the inner structure including the vertical can go together.

Roll the fuse onto the inner structure like you (do not glue yet) had and now fit the wing. There will be a little extra trimming and sanding there.

Once that is done run the flexible tubing for the rear control surfaces, no wire required yet. Leave a little extra length on the tubing, it can be trimmed once everything goes together. I actually drilled a elongated hole with my drill that was parallel to the chassis so stayed inline with the fuse, mine exited the fuse just ahead of the horizontal. When you do get to the point of gluing the fuse on it was a little fun with all the glue and fishing the two lines through the holes at the same time but it worked. I didn't glue the rear upper part of the fuse/turtle deck until later (marked X)

IMG_20180818_210437.jpg

With the vertical installed these ends are just squeezed together and glued

IMG_20180817_211326.jpg

4. sirskyhi

sirskyhi Ace Pilot

How can i get the plans?

Hami21, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  5. Send Bimo a message,

Hami21 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  6. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Some more job has been done :) dont have time to deal with those planes and thats sad :/ :/ thank you so much for your instructions Jeff thats great to know that i cam count on you for assist ;) :) so far what do you think? Am i doing it right? :)
    For tail and elevator as well I add plastic hinges for more flexibility ;)
    Also for the elevator i have placed one piece of iron as you have done already in yours buried in the foam and also I placed one more at the lower part of elevator beacuse i thought it would be extra strong :) what do you think? :)

Attached Files:

7. Elevator looks good Hami. Take the servo arms off for now and pull the control wire out, once the control surfaces are on including the rudder along with the control horns then slide them back in. I used linkage stoppers on the horns and trimmed off the excess wire once everything was all centered.

The bottom piece of foam on the tail I didn't glue on until the wing was fitted to the battery tray supports and fuse, it will need trimming. ;) Have you folded the wing yet?

bimoadiprakoso and Hami21 like this.
  8. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Ιf you agree then the job is done :D :) Yep you're right i have to take off those wires now. Those linkage are perfect idea and i think that i might have some of those to.
    Hmm i haven't glue this yet i just tapped it underneath the fuselage! :)
    The truth is that i didnt make it to fold those wings...i need your opinion on that part... hmm you have two wooden pieces right? how did you glue them together with the foam pieces?

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  9. Hi Hami.
    The easiest video to watch for folding the wing is the one from FliteTest for the Spitfire. Take your time working the fold , a little more each time until you have it flat. If you go to fast or try to force it to quick you will crack the foam and you start again then. I have done that a few times ;) . I usually don't cut any notches or anything out of the wing other then the fold wedge until I have folded it flat once. Then I cut out the notches and control surfaces and do the extra score lines. MAKE SURE TO TAPE REALLY GOOD BEHIND THE FOLD LINE AND OVER LAP A FEW INCHES, first strip of tape centered on the wedge line and then do about two or more strips on each side.

They easiest way I found for putting the spars together is with the 3M spray adhesive including the plywood.

Hami21 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Excellent advice! I'll follow for sure ;) :) hmm for the wing also one question...how did you glue the wooden parts and the foam together? i mean you put wooden part first and then foam part and after that the center foam part after the third part of foam and finally the last wooden part right?? I might take a pic of that in case you dont understan what I'm saying :)

11. The plywood is for the spars. They easiest way I found for putting the spars together is with the 3M spray adhesive including the plywood. I will hunt for some pictures .

bimoadiprakoso and Hami21 like this.
  12. bimoadiprakoso and Hami21 like this.
  13. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Ooo i see so both of wooden spars are going to the center spar right ;) hehehe With me one thing for sure....you have a great opportunity to get a headache instead of understanding what am saying...my english are a little bit rusty... :D hehe haha now i got the point ;)

14. One piece of plywood on each side of the center spar. The cf rod in the wing overlaps and gives then end of the wig it's strength.
    Your English is better then some that speak it. ;)

15. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Super now i got it my friend :) ;) I'll do as tou said :)excellent project you have great great mind ;) :) hehehe thats nice to hear for my english...but some times because i dont have any degree or something i mess my phrases (a little bit) haha :) :)

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hey Jeff, Which version is Hami building the original prototype or the one with the modified wing?

bimoadiprakoso, Hami21 and Wildthing like this.
  17. The very last one with the modified wing and undercambered, also at 120%

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Ok, Good.:)

bimoadiprakoso, Hami21 and Wildthing like this.
  19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I was watching the second flight of my P.40 last night and even with the slow 4018 900kva motor it was so much fun to fly.
    That motor will swing a 3 blade 11x6 prop and I only had a 10x6 2 blade on it at that time.
    I am going to go over this old warbird and give it a tune up soon, as it didn`t fly quite right the last time out.
    I may fit the old plodder motor with an 11x6x3. It could sound nice. I bought this motor for the Sopwith 1.1/2 strutter but it wouldn`t take long to swap them.
    I don`t know if this motor is still available as it say`s out of stock at Hobby King. It is very cheap though:)
    https://hobbyking.com/en_us/4018-brushless-outrunner-motor-900kv.html?___store=en_us

Hami21, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  20. I believe the motor I have on mine is the Turnigy 2826 1400kv motor and a 10X5 APC prop, tons of thrust on 3S