Parkflyers International Design and Build Log: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I'm not sure on that Jeff - normally when you deploy flaps you need down elevator to compensate for the increase in lift that you get from it as the plane will balloon upwards when you drop them. When you're moving those flaps around it could well totally destabilise the rear end too.
    Heck, what do I know - give it a try and see what happens :D

2. Well I already had it operating on the other wing with just single control surfaces , I think as long as you keep some throttle on you are almost dragging it in a stalled position. nice part is that it is active so you are in total control of how much input. Need some calm days to try it. ;)

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That`s exactly what I said about flaps and elevators UNLESS the flaps cause the plane to drop.
    I would not use that system myself but I don`t have Jeff the Flashes reactions LOL:D.

4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

5. I am hoping this will be the last experiment with it. ;)

Now with my extra wings laying around how about a P40B

Biplane ;)

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Why the hell not:D
    [​IMG]

7. HMMMMM, ;)

That's quite the float. :D

bimoadiprakoso and bogusbandit56 like this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Ain`t it just:D
    This is also on the bucket list:)

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  9. The more I look at it I just don't know what to think about the person who designed it. The biplane part of it I think looks sweet.

bogusbandit56 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It is a bit of an ugly duckling but was a useful aircraft for search and rescue it could carry downed aircrew in the space between the fuselage and float.
    And of course was the star of Murphy`s war.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  11. Well wing number three for the PI P-40 and I think it's a keeper. Almost 0 tipstall and with the added flaps/ailerons roll is improved and then when you activate the elev/flap mix with the 12k wind you could almost hover it , almost 0 airspeed. I think I can paint this wing now. :)

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  12. Well painted the new wing, it's staying on this time that is unless I smuck it up. ;) Gave it a coat of the Mog Pog hardcoat, it definitely adds a layer of strength to it and makes it easier to paint but you do see the brush strokes.

2018_0402_124034_001.JPG 2018_0402_124046_002.JPG

Hami21, jimbosflyin and bogusbandit56 like this.
  13. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

hi. i am wondering, what you have been using to fill up the gaps on the "score-and-fold" nose (upper part of fuselage/nose on the front). it looks very smooth. thumps up!

Wildthing likes this.
  14. I do the wedge filling . Never throw away those long skinny scrap pieces of foam ;) . Start cutting wedges, change the angles so you have a variety of triangles and glue them in,. once dry trim excess and then sand. You go through a little more glue but it also adds a good amount of strength to the folds. Then if you wanted to be really fussy you could spackle and sand again for a really nice finish. I don't because I will crash it no matter what. :D

andy_downs likes this.
  15. unclejamal

unclejamal Ace Pilot

:D haha... that's familiar to me, when it comes to my planes.
    which glue do you use? i guess 10-min epoxy, otherwise sanding will be difficult (hot glue).
    Btw. Are the plans for this plane public? I can't find them. which set-up does the plane use (ESC, motor, prop, battery)?

16. Just UHU Por, just don't go heavy on it so it's coming out the seems.

Plans not public yet, waiting on Bimo to verify my mods and he is super busy right now.

unclejamal likes this.
  17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi,
    What I did on this P.40 was to sand the air frame and then soak some news paper and apply it to the body work with water based varnish. I only do this method on larger models so that the weight is hardly noticeable. The paper shrinks and adds a lot of strength to the air frame.

unclejamal, Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  18. I still haven't tried that method, just seems to messy. ;)

19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I prefer it to sanding spackle and uhu por and it is very strong.
    Try it. Get a piece of depron and wrap it in damp brown paper and stick it on with PVA glue 3 parts glue 1 part water pin it down to dry over night and see the miraculous results next morning. You must make sure the glue covers the depron.
    I guarantee you will be impressed when it is fully dry.
    You would swear it was 6mm balsa sheet without the weight.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Wildthing likes this.
  20. I am sure it is strong, it's just making that paper fit an odd ball shaped object that is the fun part, I can remember doing paper machete as a kid, you had tons of strips of newspaper gluing them onto a balloon. It was fun but messy.

andy_downs likes this.