Parkflyers International Design and Build Log: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Apr 19, 2017.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

This is the first flight of the evening the plane was slightly tail heavy which gave it a some what vague feeling.

2. Well snuck out today with my new proto type PI Curtiss P40 Warhawk, Still trying to trim in the flaps which are mixed in with the elevator but I never seem to be able to finish a day without some stupid incident which means a slight repair required and why wouldn't today be any different. The last time out I had changed the percentages slightly but stupid me I went the wrong way so flight 1 was a wash. Flight 2 well while I was going to come by for a low pass and when I wanted to level out it didn't, the motor had shut down so a quick turn to try to get into the wind and a rough landing which broke the motor mount

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I managed to get three flights with the P.40 this evening after a busy day fixing my friend Pauls car.
    My van packed up at Paul`s and we went flying in the newly fixed car.
    For some reason the plane seemed totally out of kilter and crashed on launch.
    Fit a new prop and some trimming and the plane flew great.
    Paul loved the way it flew and was very impressed with the flight envelope.
    I had the camera on and forgot about it but the banter between me and Paul is not fit for public broadcast:D

4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Went out for a late evening sortie with the P.40, lost the canopy during violent maneuvers, managed to find it on the way back to the car. NIIICCCEEE:)

5. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

It's been awful quiet in here. I guess this project is on hold until Bimo gets freed up from his work. I just wanted to bump it because I'm interested in this plane.

This place ain't the same without him around. Come back soon Bimo.:)

6. Yes, for the plans to be finalized we need Bimo. ;) Me I haven't flown anything because of the weather, batteries are charged up and ready to go.

7. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Yeah I figured Bimo wanted to build one himself before the release. I've been grounded also, I have two new planes I need to maiden. But I've got a new project I'm working on so it's all good.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  8. I did sneak the P40 out for a single flight today and I think I have the flaps set pretty close now. It was a long launch though with the wind, it just didn't want to face the wind. Soon as you somewhat got it lined up the wind would turn you 180 degrees. Video to follow once loaded up.

bimoadiprakoso and FlyteTime like this.
  9. Here is my flight today with the PI P40, take off sucked, anytime I got close to facing it into the wind it turned left or right. ;) :D

10. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I kept saying to myself, hand launch her Jeff, hand launch her. :D It reminded me of that video that guy just posted of his quad that he couldn't get to take off but without the funny music. ;)

Seriously though, you've got her dialed in perfectly it seems. Enjoy.

11. Flew great once I got off the ground. :D :D Left rudder, right rudder, it didn't matter, soon as I faced it into the wind she turned. :D

12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

When it was on the ground I kept thinking Luna Rover:)
    I love flying the P.40, I hope Bimo will be able to do the upgrades soon so others can enjoy flying this plane.

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I flew the P.40 this evening and ever since I crashed it I can`t seem to get it settled and trimmed as well as before.
    it was rather windy and not so enjoyable, even the the P.60 was getting knocked about.

14. I thumped mine once and it seemed like crap afterwards, made sure I had a down and to the right angle with the motor and back to flying perfect. Still have to figure out the launches in the wind though. :D :D

15. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Guys. Missed you all in weeks. So sorry for being absent as my work is still mountain high. Hope each of you are doing well.

I just had my Aeronca maidened after more than 6 months since its construction initiated.

I will try to complete the Aeronca design plan and make it available publicly. It's an amazing trainer! I just have to finish it so you all could enjoy the plane, as much as I did

I need to catch up with the P-40 too Kinda miss the joy of building and flying the planes after weeks and weeks of no fly time.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

16. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Darn life and it's responsibilities!
    ;)

17. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi bimo,
    nice to see you back on the forum again. Work is the curse of the flying man:)
    I know I have said this before, the Aeronca will make a great 4 channel trainer and is a joy to fly but the P.40 is such an exciting plane to fly if you love the old war birds like I do.
    For me there is something very special about the low wing with a touch of dihedral like the Spitfire, Hurricane and Warhawk that looks so fantastic when flown in a scale fashion.
    It doesn`t matter they are not the fastest most acrobatic planes in the sky, it`s their presence and shape that I love so much and the PI P.40 captures that perfectly.
    The P.40 is a joy to fly and quite easy as well.
    I may never fly a park jet again:D

Lgel, Airflow, Wildthing and 2 others like this.
  19. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi BB56

I know I know The Aeronca with 2200kv delivers broad range of excitements at slow and fast flying. You did an great job with both (Aeronca and P-40) wings, BB56.

I just need to catch up in finishing the Aeronca plan and then followed by the P-40. Wish I have 36 hours a day and I'm sure I would be able to catch up with all these things currently in my hands

I enjoyed watching your and Wildthing videos of the P-40 I will be joining hopefully soon enough.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

It's nice to see your post Bimo. If we could figure out a way to clone you we would have you around to make cool planes all the time. :D