Parkflyers International Design and Build Log: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Apr 19, 2017.

1. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Fantastic Ian! Nice job in those weird winds! :)

Peter

2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

So, it turns out that all the P.40 needed to roll well was a little more speed.
    I would suggest making the vertical fin a little bit taller to improve handling in the wind.
    May be the wing could be thinner for a bit more speed but as it is it handles very well.
    Possibly two lateral supports with tabs along the rear fuselage to help support and register the fuselage sides
    Apart from that it is ready to make the final drawings.

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

thanks Peter. Man, you really ought to come over and experience those ridge winds.
    One second the plane is heading for the deck and next it`s right up in the air and if you get too close to the ground it just sucks you in, except for when you want to land.
    You can`t see it very well on the film but some times the whole plane is shuddering, I thought it was going to get ripped to peices so I called it a day after one flight.

You ought to build this one, it is very well behaved and just doesn`t want to land :)

4. Awesome flight, lost your breath at the end there, slight gasp. ;)

5. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Oh, I'm going to build 120% for sure. I already have the motor and all the other goodies, all I need is you guys to release the hounds!

Peter

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

The plane looked as if it was just going to drop out of the sky with the turbulence.
    If you imagine when the wind comes over the trees and ridge it`s rolling down like water over a weir and all sorts of nasty things happen.
    The 3530 1100 is great and I am looking forward to some calmer winds or from a different direction.

7. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

I'm with you Homes,

120-125% looks like the way to go for me.

I build almost all these scratch builds at 120-125%, even 150% so that I can use the larger 7 inch and larger props.

These larger builds seem to generally translate in to much more docile, pleasurable and a bit more floaty plane if that's the way you like to fly, which I personally prefer.

The two larger planes that Ian and Jeff flew looked more stable and seemed to represent the P-40's awesomeness in the air better. :)

Bigger in this case seems better to me.

Either way it is a nice looking bird.

8. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Great flying! The plane has a beautiful profile in the air as it flies! Well done!

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It would look so much better with the spinner:)

EricR, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Ok guy`s I am done.
    I won`t be starting any new builds until I have finished this Sopwith Strutter that I started 6 years ago. The fuselage is made of XPS and the wings are hot wired from pink foam. The whole lot is covered with brown paper, now I just need to make the finishing touches. I ran into some problems with the build but I have to bite the bullet and get it done.
    IMG_20170511_233834738.jpg IMG_20170511_233843739.jpg

Airflow, Lgel, Kiko12 and 4 others like this.
  11. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Oh man, you're a d!#$. I love this plane too!
    Lol.;)

Peter

12. Cool, that looks pretty intricate. Not your basic score & fold Parkjet. ;)

bogusbandit56 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I could have built about 4 parkjets in the time it took me to make the wire cabane struts, they are an absolute pain and need to be bang on because the wing sits on them.
    I used to be very particular with my planes back then and other, what seems minute problems now caused me to give up.
    I turned the engine cowl on my wood lathe and then drilled loads of holes that I should have left in:(
    With my new don`t give a dam as long as it flies attitude I should have it flying this summer:)

14. :D :D

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  15. Lgel

Lgel Ace Pilot

She flies really well, looks scale in flight.
    For a warbird she looks quite forgiving.
    Congratulations to all the guys involved in the project.
    Cheers.

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have some more flight footage from Wednesday`s maiden flight, it is the fourth flight of the day.
    There is a rather funny low pass with a train providing an interesting sound track.
    Mostly relaxing low lazy circles. I did enjoy this short flight:)

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks very much Luis.
    The P.40 is a really pleasant plane to fly and it doesn`t have any vices with no tendency to tip stall.
    I am pretty sure it would Slope as well, if ballasted up:)

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

A new set of scary jaws. The bigger the better:mad: IMG_20170512_123602215.jpg

19. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Nice mean teeth to land in all that nice fluffy grass! ;)

20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

BB56, I was just typing my post asking where the JAWS were on your plane. You posted this while I was about to post up. Now it's a proper P.40. Splendid job all around. Anxiously awaiting plan release day!