Parkflyers International Design and Build Log: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Now comes the tricky part, seeing how it flies ( or drills) :D :D

2. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

So Wild,

What's the span on this one and what are you going to power it with? If you have already said, my apologies..... it really!

Peter

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I think it came in at about 43 inches.

4. Just a hair over 43" WS, powered by an NTM 2826S 1200KV motor, 35A HK ESC, 2200 3S Battery and a 10X5 APC Prop.

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  5. Ready to test. ;)

2017_0504_160315_001.JPG 2017_0504_160322_002.JPG 2017_0504_160328_003.JPG

6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hope you mean 3'....... if not, I think you'll be a little over powered! bahahaha

;0

7. :D :D :D Ooops. ;) it would have a really high wingload. not sure where to put everything in 3"'s

bimoadiprakoso and homey666 like this.
  8. Maiden voyage for the new PI Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. Built at 120% and now with a under cambered wing along with some flaps. Once I get a good calm day to trim it in I think it is a winner. :)

9. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

That is the cats @$$! Looks great in the air.
    Nice.

Peter

10. The under cambered wing was the trick plus I think at 120% it handles the wind a little better. Definitely way more stable at low speeds, I think I might really like having flaps. I have maybe only 3/8" deflection in them and it should does make it float.

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Jeff, Your a legend!
    The speed and quality of your builds are phenomenal:)
    That is a fantastic job you have made of the P.40. She looks to fly very well.
    You may be able to speed the rolls up with using the rudder with the ailerons ,but take it up high to see how she reacts. The roll you had looked about scale and the flaps add another dimension to the flying experience of the P.40.
    Well done:)

12. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Way to go Jeff, no muss, no fuss and best of all, no drilling, lol. I had a good feeling about it's success. Looking forward to seeing her dressed up with some paint and shark teeth!

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Jeff, Are you going to make a spinner on the 3D printer?
    You want a backplate to go between the prop and collet and then glue or make it a snap fit for the spinner.

14. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

And while you're at it, maybe some exhaust outlets?

15. I did print off a spinner already but I am not totally happy with the quality of it. It looks almost identical to the ones you were looking at tp buy for $2.95.

bimoadiprakoso and bogusbandit56 like this.
  16. Already printed, just waiting on a paint job. :D

17. Thanks Ian,
    It flies remarkably well now , great call on the wing setup Ian. :) Once you are done and tested we just have to get Bimo some notes to update the plans. I like it. :)

Oh, never thought of using the rudder also in a roll , I will wait to try that after I get some color on it for contrast I almost lost orientation a couple times. ;)

bimoadiprakoso and bogusbandit56 like this.
  18. No drilling was the good part. ;) I have to remember the flaps, on the 2nd landing I activated them 1 second before touch down and it just slowed down beautiful. Next time I'll activate them sooner.

19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Becareful with them flaps Jeff they need to operate slowly to give you time to put in some down elevator.
    Any hint of tip stall now? I would imagine just a hint at slow speeds?

20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Do you think a person without your cat-like reactions would enjoy flying it?
    It certainly looked a more relaxing plane to fly.
    When you get a spinner and some paint and a great big sharks gob on it, it will look fantastic.
    I might have to send mine to a paint shop to get a decent job done.
    I have been busy again with work today, but hopefully I can get mine finished over the weekend:)
    I am very pleased with this project so far. I just hope mine will be as good.