Parkflyers International Design and Build Log: Curtiss P-40 Warhawk

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Apr 19, 2017.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

The Curtiss P-40 Warhawk is an American single-engined, single-seat, all-metal fighter and ground-attack aircraft that first flew in 1938. The P-40 design was a modification of the previous Curtiss P-36 Hawk which reduced development time and enabled a rapid entry into production and operational service. The Warhawk was used by most Allied powers during World War II, and remained in frontline service until the end of the war. It was the third most-produced American fighter, after the P-51 and P-47; by November 1944, when production of the P-40 ceased, 13,738 had been built, all at Curtiss-Wright Corporation's main production facilities at Buffalo, New York.

P-40 Warhawk was the name the United States Army Air Corps and after June 1941, USAAF-adopted name for all models, making it the official name in the U.S. for all P-40s. The British Commonwealth and Soviet air forces used the name Tomahawk for models equivalent to the P-40B and P-40C, and the name Kittyhawk for models equivalent to the P-40D and all later variants.

P-40s first saw combat with the British Commonwealth squadrons of the Desert Air Force in the Middle East and North African campaigns, during June 1941. No. 112 Squadron Royal Air Force, was among the first to operate Tomahawks in North Africa and the unit was the first Allied military aviation unit to feature the "shark mouth" logo, copying similar markings on some Luftwaffe Messerschmitt Bf 110 twin-engine fighters.

01.JPG

So now, we at Parkflyers International had decided to learn on how to design a warbird, based on Curtiss P-40 Warhawk. It would be the first ground up puller/tractor warbird design since we have been releasing all jet designs for the last 2 years.

We're now quite distracted with activities not related to RC. However, we managed to have some progress on this project. And this thread would be showing things that we do doing our design and build phases. Below is the comparison of the 3d model and rc model, of the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk.

Comaprison.JPG

Some would might wonder why we decided to have P-40 as our next project. Frankly speaking, some of us at Parkflyers International shared some emotional stories about the P-40. I will try to share my story while other members will share on their own posts.

The P-40 was the very first toy plane that I personally owned and witnessed a flying toy plane in my childhood. My father bought it. It's not an RC plane. It's a control line plane with methanol powered engine. I was too young to fly it as I was still in 2nd grade of elementary school back in 70's. So, my dad tried to have the maiden flight. It was having a successful maiden flight for sure and landed safely after few circles. May be about 6-8 circles when my father finally landed it. I wasn't expected the next thing I was about to see, as my father ran away from the plane and vomited. I was thinking that something was wrong with my dad, but after secs, he looked at me and starting to laugh. And we laughed together :D

So, when we discussed about what warbird should we go for, when bogusbandit56 mentioning about the Warhawk, I instantly agreed with him.

We hope that many parkflyers would enjoy building this Curtiss P-40 Warhawk once it's available, just as our other planes. We put in our mind that the design should be:
    1. having good scale line
    2. easy and quick to construct as it's still based on score and fold
    3. fly as good as our previous designs
    4. technically less hassles when designing and fine tuning it

We are enjoying what we're doing now, which is and ongoing neverending learning process. We had completed our first ground up EDF parkjet, the Eurofighter Typhoon G1E, which gave us and unexpected and outstanding results. We do hope that we would come up with the same level of joy with this P-40. And we do hope that builders will experience the same excitements when this project delivers good results, ... at least by meeting our expectations of what we're trying to learn through this project. :)

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Cool beans Bimo! Looking forward to something different and this fits the bill. Love your story about you and your dad. My dad was into control line when I was about 12. He built this very nice balsa plane, good sized and let me fly it one time. I made it around about 6 times and thought I'd try to pull a loop. Well I came up short and darted it into a million pieces. He didn't throw up thankfully!

Is it gonna have landing gear?

3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi FlyteTime. Thank you so much for your kind words and shared story as well. I'm sure some of us share similar stories between us.That's why we put this thread as "design and build log", to hopefully bridge some good memories as they live forever inside our mind. It's good to remember them as well from my point of view.

This P-40 won't be having landing gears, I humbly apologize. Just typical belly landing. But, builder will have option to mod the plane to have landing gears as well. It's their choice. Frankly speaking, I have no experience at all with landing gears.

One thing different about this P-40 compares to all other PI's parkjets, is the wing. It should have airfoil wing with easy construction method. We'd like to know how this airfoil wing performs when it flies. It also has dihedral wing too with hope it would deliver stability to the P-40.

I'm so excited with this project. Wildthing had successfully set a new bar internally in PI as he printed and flew his Spitfire. So me and BB56 have to catch up. :)

Google+

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Skydiver, menus666, EricR and 5 others like this.
  4. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

You had me at true airfoil and dihedral :p

5. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

6. TacticalFlight

TacticalFlight Ace Pilot

Too cool....or beans.Can't wait to see it in foam!Good luck PI team!

menus666, jimbosflyin, EricR and 4 others like this.
  7. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

8. I am real excited about this one. :)

ps, mine will have landing gear. ;)

9. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

10. Nakul

Nakul Ace Pilot

That's cool. Looks like this model will pick up some good speed too!

Looks like my low wing efxtra. With more dihedral on the wings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m going to have Koni shocks, Brembo brakes, BBS mags and Pirelli P Zero tyres.
    3 x .30 and 1x .50 cal Brownings in each wing.
    The finest piston engine known to humanity, in the form of a Titanium and Platignum Rolls Royce Griffon with upgraded superchargers.
    The Koh-I-Norr diamond as the spinner and the entire airframe will be coated in Gold Leaf.

12. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Sounds like a well pimped Warhawk, BB56. lol

Google+

13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

15. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

16. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

18. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Skydiver, jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  19. HAH, you are afraid of speed. ;)

20. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun