Parkflyers International A-10 Thunderbolt II G1R: Learning Process That Leads to More Excitements

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 24, 2018.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Don't forget to get some different color paints while your at it:D

2. Snowflake was just a brush and freehand. :(

3. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Oh man, you've just made me regret for myself, not getting the airbrush much earlier :D LOL
    I think I will get more acrylic colors than just black, white and grey :p BTW, can I use alcohol (let's say 70%) as thinner for waterbased acrylic? Could it help to make the paint dry sooner?

Thought you're airbrushing your old planes, Wildthing. Some changes would be good for us as I've been painting my planes freehand since the beginning. I think it's time for an upgrade for me :D Hahaha! So you and jimbosflyin need to teach me to do it. How 'bout that? ;)

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

andy_downs, Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  4. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I use windex or the cheap brand of it,it does seem to dry quicker and I don't know if I can handle breathing in the alcohol smell.The paint thinning is the tricky part,a tad too much thinning you get a run and not enough you clog and splatter also.So make sure you practice on scraps first.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  5. I tried the windex and didn't really like it, it worked but just not the same. The alcohol does work better even mixing but drying times are quite a bit quicker.

6. Weather was decent today so Snowflake #2 got a couple runs in . Second video I even tried inverted and even though the rolls are not super quick it flies inverted no problem with excellent pitch control. . :)

7. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

if I go with the artic scheme I think I will leave the under side white other wise the little ole brain might get confused.seeing these vids reminds me Ive still got to mend my filming rig.ive got a brand new air brush somewhere,ive had years but its still new in box.i must try it and maybe help keep the weight down.

8. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Cutting down on paint weight is why I like useing the airbrush,instead of haveing two heavier coats of brushed on paint to cover brush marks.I leave the bottom of most of my planes white for that reason also.

9. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Okay, that sounds like a good idea to try with alcohol guys. I have face mask so hopefully everything would be okay for me once the airbrush kit arrives. The only issue is, I haven't got the time to build another plane at the time being :D LOL

That looked like amazing flights, Wildthing. It placed huge smile and excitements watching it, the same feeling when I watched mine flew for the first time and few other flights after. Welldone with the Snowflake! :cool:

Seems everyone will go for airbrush here :D Can't wait to see yours, Andy. Just as the good looking SU-30SMs you built earlier.

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

andy_downs, Wildthing and jimbosflyin like this.
  10. You know with this artic scheme it actually really pops out in the sky. It is nice to see the bottom painted when it flies by, we always make them look so pretty on the top but you only see that when it is on the bench.

bimoadiprakoso and jimbosflyin like this.
  11. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

I shall just have to fly inverted all the time then,lol

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  12. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

what a day,up early waiting outside the printers only to find out they no longer trading, so then hours driving all over the place trying to find printer ink and breaking a front road spring on the car just to make a day of it.but not to give up the journey as started and after a couple of hours of printing and taping up I but finally I have a set of plans.

13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I fly inverted all the time,just not on purpose.:confused:

14. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

just measured my plan and its seems to have come out a bit bigger,about 39 inchs but it will still fit in the car so no worries.

Attached Files:

15. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

It should only have had a 35 inch wing span,thats weird.

bimoadiprakoso and andy_downs like this.
  16. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

I shall live with the weirdness im not going through sticking all the pages together again,might try another printers but they only open week days which make it hard to get to without having time off work,its surposed to be a slow jet so it will be more scale like,might go with a straight grey scheme incase its to slow.

17. Makes no sense, where your tape measure is laying, those spars should be right around 19.8" long. The scale wasn't updated so it would be out 5% , so 10mm would be 10.5mm.

bimoadiprakoso and andy_downs like this.
  18. Just measured my wing, just under 35" . Must have been printed at 110% or somewhere close to that.

I just measured the plans, with the wing unfolded it should be 37.44" wide to the farthest tips of it.

19. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

37.44 that makes mine about an inch bigger,cutouts still seem to be 6mm though.the printers back out .going to try again,all part of the fun lol.

20. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

feel a bit happier now just redone the plans,(well still got half to stick together),but the wing is now dead on 35 inch at its widest point now so what ive done different is a mystery then again printers are a mystery to me as I just fumble my way with them.just time to do the other half before bedtime then a fresh start in the morning.

Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.