Parkflyers International A-10 Thunderbolt II G1R: Learning Process That Leads to More Excitements

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 24, 2018.

1. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

The engines made with DTF and one piece 6mm foam with the spar that connect to the plane is doable and weighs less at 105% than at 100%.I did one with and one with out the tab by just marking where the register would be and just lined it up and glueing it in place. WIN_20181108_19_32_54_Pro.jpg WIN_20181108_19_33_49_Pro.jpg

2. You don't know how many times I have broken my planes just moving them around. :D

bimoadiprakoso and jimbosflyin like this.
  3. Those should breath a hundreds times better. You could also taper the leading and trailing edges even with the support so the air can just slide by. There is a definite difference between the original 6mm foam ones and the 3D printed ones, yours should be somewhere in the middle.

4. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'm just trying to stick with foam so other builders with out a 3D printer can make them if they like the more scale look better than the octagon score and fold one.If you taper the edges on the DTF, the foam might be a little weak and start to crack.(maybe)

5. What's an A10 without a Gatling gun??

2018_1112_180354_001.JPG 2018_1112_180402_002.JPG 2018_1112_180410_003.JPG

6. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

7. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Man, been few days away and there have been tons of fun already? :D:D:D No wonder I couldn't sleep at night as I missed all those fun for sure.

Nice one with arctic camo there, Wildthing. The gatling makes it look like a bad a$$. But if I'm not mistaken, should it be placed in the middle under the nose instead of on the left side? And I may make one myself using straws instead of 3D printer.

jimbosflyin, take some shots of the beautiful desert camo you built. Yours and Wildthing's are simply much better than mine.

So now, we're speaking of 105% size of the original? Man, you guys make me wanna build another at 105. I think it's a good idea if we finalize the A-10 at 105. Not much of changes as the registers size are still within tolerance threshold. All PI planes can simply be printed larger up to 10% larger than the original without having to change anything :)

Rainy seasons has started here. So, my chance to fly any of my planes would be getting narrower on weekends ahead. Must keep my eyes on the weather report every weekend now.

Oh, by the way. Bought this from ebay to replace the whistling tube I made. It works well, lightweight and on top of everything, it costs much less than a NERF ball with similar whistler. With the expense of a NERF ball, you could get 4-6 of it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264018329849

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    andy_downs, jimbosflyin and Wildthing like this.
  8. 105% works great without any adjustments to the registers. I angled the battery tray down 6mm towards the nose in the revised plans also to give a little more room for the battery and my fat fingers ;) .

Most pictures I looked at for the A10 the Gatling gun was off to the left??? :(

Those whistle you could mount inside the engines :D

Cheers
    Jeff

9. What do you use for adhesion? Ever since through this forum somebody pointed us in the direction of BuildTak self adhesive mats that you stick to your bed, they work fantastic. My bed is 220x220 but the most economical size I picked up are about 205x205mm . I don't think I have had anything come lose since I started using them. If anything it is fun getting the pieces off sometimes. I picked up a pack of three 8 months ago or so and am still on my first one.

10. LOL, you are slightly more right then me, the gun isn't center, it is just slightly off to the left. :D

a-10-thunderbolt-ii_011.jpg

11. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I'm useing a glass bed,I justforgot to prep it.I use aqua-net and when the bed dries that I give it a quick swipe of alchahol and it gets really sticky,if you touch it litely with your finger tip you have to give it a good pull.I also have a couple magnetic one that are bendable so you can get them off easy.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  12. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

IMG_20181031_103207.jpg IMG_20181031_103148 (2).jpg IMG_20181031_102257.jpg
    Sorry Bimo,I thought I already loaded these up.

13. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Okay then we're gonna have it at 105% for final release. Have compared some of the scaled up plan you sent me, Wildthing. Looks great. Will run through it deeply and add the option for rolled sheet engines layout later. Meanwhile I will try to experiment, rolling some scrap sheets I have for the engines.

jimbosflyin, that A-10 looks stunning!

Google+

14. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Wildthings showing his painting skills with the winter camo.

15. You did receive both of the latest plans right? One is with the score & fold engines and the other is with the rolled engines. ;)

Also we could throw another little offer into it is the 3D printed engine files for the people that want to go the way, 6 little registers have to be downsized to 2mm instead of 6mm. :)

bimoadiprakoso and andy_downs like this.
  16. I have no painting skills !!!!!!!!!!

bimoadiprakoso and andy_downs like this.
  17. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Looks to me like your inner Bob Ross is coming out bro. Good job.

18. I will have to google that before I can comment :D :D

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  19. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

"The Bob Ross" of art tv show? Man! You got it, right there FT! I remember watching it in the early time of the first pay tv service here in my hometown back in the early 90's, in my early college time.

Hahahaha Wildthing, Ross was a brilliant painter with unbelieveable technique he shared in each of his show! But after just months, the station didn't have his show on air again. Didn't know if its related to ratings or else

Google+

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    FlyteTime, andy_downs and Wildthing like this.
  20. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Experimenting in rolling the depron with satisfying result.

Drowning a scrap depron sheet with the similar area as the engine sheet into a boiling water. Surprisingly it didn't melt. I used 4-5" dia cylindrical can to roll it couple times, effortlessly, while it's hot.

Before drowning it into the boiling water, I covered the outer surface area with packing tapes.

Once it's rolled nicely and maintain its cylindrical shapr, I peeled off the packing tapes.

Thanks for the tips, jimbosflyin and Wildthing [​IMG]

Google+