Parkflyers International A-10 Thunderbolt II G1R: Learning Process That Leads to More Excitements

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bimoadiprakoso, Oct 24, 2018.

1. So I have to ask, do you have a different hat for each plane? ;)

bimoadiprakoso and andy_downs like this.
  2. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

not yet lol,but having the cam on my tx tray makes it hard to keep in frame when you go to full throttle so this should help.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. Newt

Newt Administrator

Always been a fan of the A-10.
    This PI looks just like the FRC A-10 that I built back in 2013.
    Guess I've been away too long, haven't read this whole thread - are there any differences?
    a-10_11.jpg a10xx.jpg

bimoadiprakoso likes this.
  4. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi Newt,

I built the FRC as well. The PFI version is smaller with a lot less structural complexity and it is an easier build. The experience with the PFC nacelles was super handy with the PFI as they are very similar. I haven't maidened mine yet, but I'm using more power on a smaller platform, so I'm hoping for success!

Peter

5. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Hi Newt. Been a fan of A-10 here as well :)

Kindly let me write something behind the story of PI A-10 G1R, from the designers' perspectives.

I have been amazed by the engineering design of the A-10 since the very beginning. I built and flew FRC A-10 mk2 months ago. I also had my eyes to Nic's A-10 but didn't move forward to build it.

After couple of discussions with Wildthing and jimbosflyin, then we started to address requirements in order to design the A-10 before we made the decision to design it.

There are few criterias on some engineering design factors we'd like to apply and achieve on this design so it would be a scaled down A-10 instead of just "look like" A-10. So after some observations, we addressed few conditions:
    1. The wings and h-stabilizers have negative angle of incidence.
    2. The airfoil wing design seems to give all-time-flaps effect. And dihediral is a must
    3. The thrust line is also having negative angle of incidence.

With those main factors addressed, we looked for any available blueprint of A-10 we could look at on the internet. We're so lucky we got some.

Point 1
    Following the wings and h-stabs angle of incidence was no issue at all. We got the angles from the blueprint.

Point 2
    The challenge began when we would like to design the airfoil with 5-6mm depron sheet. On computer, everything was easy. But we had to make sure that the depron would hold its integrity when the sheet was slightly bent for upper and lower airfoil surfaces. Thank GOD, we finally managed to come up with the airfoil design. Next was the dihedral. Computers helped a lot in getting the shapes right.

Point 3
    Getting the engine tubes to have identical angle for thrust line was easy. However, the next challenge was transfering the vector to the rear mounted motor. After some calculations, we managed to get the vector resultant for the rear mounted motor. So, the design is able to accommodate either twin motors on the rear end of engine tubes, or rear mounted one.

Eventhough we had some doubts during the design phase, but Wildthing made them all vanished into thin air during his maiden flight.

The flight envelope showed remarkable slow and high speed flying characteristics and stability.

Frankly speaking, the calculations were more complicated than the calcs we did when designing the F-14D. We thought at that time we wouldn't encounter more complex calcs. We were wrong. But with the A-10 result after the first maiden, we're so amazed by it :D

Now with Wildthing, me, jimbosflyin and andydowns had successfully had our maiden flights, I'm sure homey will have good times with it as well soon.

So, other than designing an A-10 that could be as scale as possible, we also tried to learn a lot from this project. That's why we placed "learning" in the title of this thread.

The plan will be released shortly after the Silent Eagle being made available. We're now finalizing the plan and completing the instruction guide. But for most advanced builders like you Newt, many may not be needing it at all :)

BTW, nice A-10 there ;)

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    Wildthing, andy_downs and homey666 like this.
  6. Not having built the FRC A-10 the biggest difference I can see is the airfoils and dihedral

andy_downs likes this.
  7. Newt

Newt Administrator

Thank you for the compliment.

Interesting reading about your journey.
    One question - you stated that dihedral was a must- just curious about that.
    Is it because of your wing design?

When I fly a scale version of an aircraft, I personally prefer to try to fly it as scale-like as I can. I want to see my planes in the air performing as close to full scale as my talent allows.
    I wonder if the addition of dihedral was necessary because of the wing "all time flap" design or just there to make it fly easier?
    How does your wing design perform during inverted flight? My experience is that as dihedral angle increases - inverted flight is more difficult to maintain.
    Just curious.
    M

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

8. I am not a good inverted flier but I did do it no problem with this guy, very stable and very good pitch control.

9. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

dedicated to the cause I ventured down to the field with my now two favorites,before filming I took the A10 up and got her more or less dialled in,but then the heavens opened yet again but instead of going home I waited it out(just over an hour) so I could do some filming on the hatcam,got home only to find the footage wasn't very good,so after diner loaded up again to do more filming but although no rain the wind had got up and the light was fading,shall post vids soon. DSCF1668.JPG DSCF1669.JPG

10. Newt

Newt Administrator

That is too bad about the weather.
    Do you like the smaller version of the A-10?

11. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

to be honest I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this plane but its turning out to be really good,just need the weather to go with it.

12. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

well hatcam seems to work although takes a bit more to set it up but at least it leaves my hand free to fly,this is fun.

13. Newt

Newt Administrator

Nice video. Looks like it handles the wind petty well.

14. NICE :)

15. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Wildthing, have you seen the frcfoamies a10 mk2? With airfoil wing and dihedral? images (4).jpeg

16. No I didn't , I was looking at the picture newt posted.

17. Newt

Newt Administrator

That's just what I thought when I stumbled in here.
    I honestly can't see any difference other than being about 80% size of my FRC A-10.
    Looks like an exact copy of Jay's original plan. Weird

18. Well if you are trying to design a scale copy of a real plane they should look the same or you didn't do your job right. We did not copy each other's plans, we copied the A-10 plane.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  19. andy_downs

andy_downs Ace Pilot

this was my 2nd flight.

20. Newt

Newt Administrator

Oh? OK. What ever.

I built my FRC A-10 5 years ago and spent an entire winter on it. I am very familiar with the plan.
    I am just making the observation that this little A-10 resembles Jay's original design - referring to the fold lines , canopy design , nacelles, etc.
    Just looked like a copy to me.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Glad to see that your little guy flies as nice as it does.