Overheating/Throttle Cutoff

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Wikked_Fool, May 30, 2018.

1. I did have something similar happen awhile ago with a cheap Bangood motor, it stuttered and did funny things and then started smoking, put a different motor on the same esc and it worked fine.

Either way if it is stuttering don't push it by trying harder or giving it more throttle, it won't fix itself you will just end up burning up parts. Swap out parts, one at a time and try it again, process of elimination.

2. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

Alright everyone, I got everything soldered up on my new ESC, which is a hobby king 30A UBEC. Motor is Turnigy D2826/6 2200kv, battery is a Zippy 2200 mah 25C lipo, and when I connect everything the servos work fine and the motor beeps rapidly and will not accept commands. This is very frustrating and I don't know what else to do. I lost my bind plug for my transmitter so I'll either have to make or buy a new one to try rebinding it, but I don't think that is the real issue at hand. Any ideas about why it won't stop beeping?

SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  3. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

What transmitter are you using? I found in my evaluation of the Flysky FS-i6, that the motor would not work or stop beeping until I set the throttle points after binding.

I know this might sound like a bit of stupid question, but do you have the ESC plugged into the correct channel on your receiver? If not, the motor will not work and just beep that way also.

Cheers,

Scott

4. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

I have a hobby king T6 V2 transmitter and receiver, and the motor connects perfectly when I use my other ESC. Yeah it is plugged into the correct throttle channel, I made sure to check that more than once haha. I'm not sure what you mean to "set the throttle points" is that something I'll need to do in the computer program for the TX/RX?

5. Firstly make sure that your throttle is at 0, it won't initialiize unless it recognizes that it
    Is at 0. It might be that your throttle stick is backwards, go into your TX and try reversing the throttle and see what happens. If you could do a short video that could help us to see what is going on.

SukhoiLover, e3_Scott and homey666 like this.
  6. It should be in the instructions that came with the esc

SukhoiLover and homey666 like this.
  7. Most to set throttle points, TX on then move the throttle to 100%, then connect the battery in the plane, usually the motor will beep a certain amount of times and then you move the throttle stick to 0. Some will beep and then initialize.

SukhoiLover and Wikked_Fool like this.
  8. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

I'm hoping the video uploads with this post.

SukhoiLover likes this.
  9. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi WF,

I've had this happen a few times with a new esc and my 9x and this is what I did.
    First, make sure you remove the prop or secure the plane.
    Turn on tx. Throttle stick full.
    Plug in battery. You wil hear a series of beeps. Throttle down. Un plug battery and turn off tx.
    Then repeat the process with throttle at 0. Esc should be ready to go.
    Now, often times, when I bring the throttle down to zero after starting full, I get the proper beeps and I'm good to go.

I'm sure someone knows better!

Peter

10. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

Okay, so the ESC manual says constant beeping means my throttle position is not at the lowest, so after following the instructions on how to set the throttle points, it still isn't working, would linking the manual for the ESC help anybody help me?

SukhoiLover and jimbosflyin like this.
  11. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I got it now,reverse your channel 3.I had to do that way in the beginning also,after that reset your throttle.I bet that is it.

SukhoiLover and e3_Scott like this.
  12. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

Okay, I reversed the throttle on my controller, and it beeps 3 times to signal the battery and then it connects, but it still won't turn when I throttle up, is there another step after reversing the throttle switch?

SukhoiLover and jimbosflyin like this.
  13. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Did you reset your stick-throttle points ?Turn radeo on-put throttle all the way up-connect battery after your beeps are done bring the throttle down and wait.disconnect battery and plug it back in,that should be it.

SukhoiLover likes this.
  14. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

It turns very slowly now and as if the brake is being applied at the same time, it doesn't want to spin very much.

SukhoiLover likes this.
  15. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

Okay, I let the smoke out of my ESC... dammit i don't know what happened

SukhoiLover likes this.
  16. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I don't know eather,strange.It seemed like we were on the right road.

SukhoiLover likes this.
  17. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

Well, I'll just have to get another one. Can you recommend one that should just plug and play? I was hoping this one would haha. On the other hand, setting throttle position on my other ESC seemed to help with the cut off issue and now it will run the motor indefinitely.

18. Remember what I said if it doesn't seem to be working right don't push it, you just burn up parts really quick.
    When you order more esc's get atleast 40A ones.
    BUT, if your tx isn't right or what ever the case is be careful testing. The motor should either go or not, no half way.

19. Wikked_Fool

Wikked_Fool Cadet

Yeah I realize now that is sound advice, I'm definitely going to buy a 40A and take my time from now on.

20. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

I have been useing the 40 amp Hobby wing Skywalker from Value Hobby,cheap and reliable.For a little more money Turnigy is also a good choice.