NiMH battery charging

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by AC010, Dec 2, 2017.

1. AC010

AC010 Rookie

Hello everyone! First time posting, and I have a question about charging NiMH batteries. I've read through this forum a little and also went to other websites, but they don't seem to agree on the information.

I have a Racer's Edge 8.4V 5000maH nimh Battery. I also have a Tenergy B450AC Balance Charger. I just bought it, it's new and never used. So how would I charge it, at what A, and any tips/info? I also want to know when it's fully charged and how to care for the battery.

Thanks,
    AC010

2. AC010

AC010 Rookie

Here's the link to the battery:
    goo.gl/9L3Q3K

3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Would this help.?
    Most people are using LiPo`s these days.

4. AC010

AC010 Rookie

I watched that vid already.
    However, on the manual I have, it says to charge it at 4.5A... I feel like that is still way too much.

Wildthing likes this.
  5. If you charge it at lower amps that is fine and if anything it's easier on the battery, downside is it will take longer to charge that's it. :)

6. AC010

AC010 Rookie

Any specific amp?

Thanks

Wildthing likes this.
  7. Go to a setting you are comfortable with and time it, you know 4.5A is still safe. I would time it at 4.5 and say 2.0A , now depending on how much time you have go from there. I manly play with lipo's now and in no means a battery expert . :)

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I think you are right, 4.5 amps sounds a lot.

Wildthing likes this.
  9. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

It's been a while since I've used NiMH batteries but 4.5 amps is suicide! Last time I checked they weren't capable of taking such high charging currents, in fact I charged a 3300 mAh one at 2 amps coz I was in a hurry to get it charged just to be able to take 1 more battery with me. The result was that it got blazing hot, so hot that even the shrink wrap around it tore in some places!

They may last a while before they run dry but they're definitely not made for quick charging! I highly recommend switching to LiPos instead, especially since u already seem to have a charger that can charge them properly. Just be careful with them, then they're just fine. In fact, I've been man-handling some of mine pretty harshly and they've never failed on me.

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  10. AC010

AC010 Rookie

That's what I thought...

This is actually for a competition (I'm not willing to go into it really) but the rules ban Lipos.... probably because they're "dangerous" or something.

I've tried 3A but the batteries started running out really fast after about a month or two. I need the full punch and for it to be as consistent as possible over many times of recharging.

Wildthing likes this.
  11. I think some charges you can cycle the batteries to get back most of their life.

blkbaron and malukk like this.
  12. AC010

AC010 Rookie

What do you mean by cycle?

Wildthing likes this.
  13. blkbaron

blkbaron Ace Pilot

I'm sure there was a rule of thumb that u can charge NiMH @ 1/4C and 1/2C. I wasn't in a hurry so I would charge them at 400ma over upto 5 hours.
    I keep going thru the same issue with my 2000MaH 4.8V 4 pack NiMH eneloop cells. I can never remember what the settings are:)
    Not sure if that rule translates to a 5000maH pack.

Wildthing likes this.
  14. AC010

AC010 Rookie

I'll try 1A for now.

Wildthing likes this.
  15. The charger would actually discharge, charge , discharge and charge your battery. It would slowly try to get back some of the capacity of the battery by taking it to it's minimum and max voltage.

blkbaron likes this.
  16. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

What stupid kind of competition is that where LiPos are banned!?

17. JLT_GTI

JLT_GTI Cadet

If things would be run by old schooler federation guys we would still be flying 35mhz radios.
    Without having to go beyond my local area limits i have seen people despise 2.4Ghz and even trying to ban them back in the day from official competitions .. and the president of the models federation ban 4S lipos in drone racing because he deemed them "too fast dangerous"..i have even withness the guy say that he hated FPV and drones and if he could he would ban them.. and today he is taking money teaching people to fly them and certifying people to be race officials.. and also that same guy ban foamies in his F5J competitions after another guy beated him on one with an EasyGlider :D

bogusbandit56 likes this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hat`s off to the Easyglider pilot:)
    No wonder that guy was angry, it`s like being beaten in the Kentucky derby by a Morgan:)