New FPV Semi Glider Airplane project :)

Discussion in 'Storebought Planes' started by DutchRC, Jan 10, 2018.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Okay I have it working now.

I did a bunch of research on this and found that the fc405, flashed with BF, removed the magnetometer and is considered an unnecessary load on available resources.
    It was removed to save on clock cycles to lean more into the racing drone optimization scheme. The best work around was to remove resources from uart3 and assign i2c onto that input. Someone had actually written the branch to do just that but I am more of a "stay with the stock flash" to eliminate a big surprise later when I upgrade a flash and suddenly things stop working.

... and had forgotten what I did to make it work in the first place.

So flashing over to INAV and tah- dah ... I now have an outboard magnetic compass and gps module working completely. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Okay I have to ask.

... how did you get telemetry back down on the smart port ?

In bf you go into CLI, turn off motor 5 and reassign softport to that resource ID being A15.

Inav CLI behaves a lot different.

Update: enabling softport1 assigns it to uart4 (tx) pad ... it lights up a bidirectional serial port that agrees with frsky smart port. Boom it's working.

Moved the gps off uart4 onto uart3 and now I'm seeing your earlier complaint, the GPS is not working. I haven't tried uart5 yet but I'm sure you have already. It appears to be talking but it never picks up any satellite information. The compass however does still work.

...it would appear the uart 4 is the goto port for either one or the other ?

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. Howdy :)
    sorry for the late reply! I'm using:
    Uart 2 for the receiver Telemetry
    Uart 4 for the GPS
    Uart 5 for Tramps smart audio (to set the VTX)..

that has telemetry + GPS + smart audio working.. But haven't had the time to check the entire setup yet..

4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

My final take on INAV is pretty sour anymore Dutch. I've found a few shortcomings that I'm just not willing to agree on.

1. Could not .. cannot get servo 6 to come to life regardless of softserial or uart interference. End result: I can only run one aileron channel off the flight controller. I have to plug up the ailerons in parallel. The board ultimately represents a 4 channel receiver with stabilizer.

2. Uart 4 has become a single critical port. It will either work for GPS ...or softserial1 for telemetry. End result: which is more critical to your needs ? ... you can't have both.

The whole reason I jumped into this project was to run with the mission planner they offered. Currently I'm not able to build the complete package without sacrificing from other features that I want or rely on.

Going forward I'm going shelf this awhile and wait for the 1.9.4 flash or above. This really is another excellent github project and have faith that its development will mature into the industry eventually. I plan to follow the group for awhile and see where it goes.

This flight controller ? ... I have a very nice 280 frame to tinker with next. [​IMG]

5. THAT looks like a nice frame yes :D

well.. in case you were wondering why My project isn't moving along at lightning speed ;) (or: my interest wandered off a bit)..
    A while back I saw a video in which the assignment of channels / ports in Inav was completely flexible / user assignable.. As that was quite a while ago now, I had kinda expected that to be fact by now instead of fiction :$ ..
    So yeah.. Especially as I don't really even want things like auto-home.. maybe I'll see how far just using betaflight gets me.. (or indeed just wait a bit)

TomMonton likes this.
  6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

... and now for the finishing touch.

The Matek F405-WING flavor of flight controller. A flight controller actually designed for a fixed wing aircraft.

Stuff had only come in today so I will have more follow up for you later if your interested. [​IMG]

Wildthing likes this.