New FPV Semi Glider Airplane project :)

Discussion in 'Storebought Planes' started by DutchRC, Jan 10, 2018.

1. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I went with PayPal via Banggood. Shipping is about 2'ish weeks for 1.43.... less than 2 bux.

The plane was listed at 119.

Hobby king was listed at 109 and 49 bux shipping with no other options.

Both were PNF.

..... I did the math. :)

I am wanting to squirt some basic telemetry through a pixhawk OSD board. I have it flashed for cc3d right now but am on the fence right now and fishing for a better approach ?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Yes.. it looks like for most people BG works out better..
    for me (warehouse in the Netherlands) the shipping from HK was free (and fast)..

3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I'm curious now.

How did you mount the run cam in the nose ? I didn't want to drill holes in the fuse itself.

4. I have not done so yet, but true: I haven't seen an obvious mounting methode myself..

5. and.. another update to this series :)
    In this part we'll take a look at the brain I ordered up for the Ranger 1600 :)

6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I did finally make a bracket for this. I'm printing off the finished bracket right now and it will also cradle the camera inside nicely. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

malukk, Wildthing and DutchRC like this.
  7. Not bad man! I've been busy doing iNav research & installing the FC stack over here.. That took quite a while but I re-mounted the top-deck yesterday :)

malukk likes this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

... guess I was coming in the other direction. Make it all work first then add the flight controller.

If this fits right I can sculpt it to fit your run cam. ... and send you the file. That and just a blank cradle.

malukk and DutchRC like this.
  9. That would be great! Thanks in advance :)
    and yeah.. my thinking was I wouldn't want that camera in the nose before I know that iNav mambo-jombo won't have the plane 'land' in the wrong orientation :)

Wildthing likes this.
  10. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

.... yeah yeah it only took four try's but I nailed it ?

I've already emailed the RunCam flavor to you and it should fit in like it belongs there.

1865242908754012359.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    malukk, Wildthing and DutchRC like this.
  11. Briljant work sir! Very well done :D

What are your thoughts on camera-protection by the way? I haven't really come up with a solution I like myself :$
    OMG.. I just now thought: camera retraction fro the landing :$ .. ohww wait: I have noooo idea how to make that work with the iNav setup :p Glad I got THAT sorted! :D

TomMonton, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You can still use the lens cap if you rather.

I had planned to leave it recessed just inside the housing.
    [​IMG]

FED50H and malukk like this.
  13. Well ghehe yes / no.. I ment for landings, as this plane usually comes in pretty hot :$
    And well.. camera-in-nose.. even in grass-fields landings the lens will get dirty / scuffed

TomMonton likes this.
  14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

You're right about bringing this plane back in ... sheesh... took me 4 runs at it to finally settle her in right. The speeds that it was "just gliding" at is truly impressive.

I'm running a 2800m 3s battery and flight time will well exceed 30 minutes of flight time. Once she starts flying it just doesn't want to stop.

She flys clean and very stable on her own already ... definitely a good buy and thank you for pointing this one out Dutch

DutchRC likes this.
  15. Is this a nice plane or what? :D I would have liked a T-tail (doesn't snag on branches) but other then that it's excellent :)

You're welcome offcourse.. Glad to see you like it as well..
    And yeah.. I haven't really been able to bleed much speed out of it before touchdown eighter ;)

I kinda had the same worry about this plane by the way, but managed to bring it in Reasonably slow (with a 400 meter approach that is :$)

(completely different plane offcourse)

TomMonton likes this.
  16. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Got it... I did manage to get GPS to work.

Using the Matek fchub-Wing and the F405 std flight controller.

The vcc 5v must be supplied via the hub... a usb connect ALONE will not hold enough bias to drive the GPS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    DutchRC likes this.
  17. Good on ya :) I don't have that wing-version from Matek yet, but good to know that allso works :)

18. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yes... the ribbon cable jumper works like a charm and saves a bunch of time with those little cross connects.

The XSR rx is a clean fit without having to invert any signaling up or down to include telemetry.

Very nice setup Dutch.

19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

One wrinkle though ..

Unlike pixhawk where you can select which compass will be the active one ... I cannot seem to find that same variable in betaflight. It will only assume north by how you boot up the flight controller and navigate from there. I can't seem to get the craft to navigate to magnetic north for some reason.

Secondly software isn't recognizing it yet because it remains grayed out on the status bar.

I'm still messing with that one.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  20. BF? You aren't dicing straight in with iNav? I must admit there is quite a bit of research to be done with iNav as it isn't as well established as BF..