New FPV Semi Glider Airplane project :)

Discussion in 'Storebought Planes' started by DutchRC, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Halloa people :)

I feel like building me a new FPV aeroplane! And in this case 'build' means: buying a PNF airplane, and adding FPV & autopilot stuff to it..

To start this project off however, I need YOUR input :D See, I don't really know which plane to order yet.. I would very much appreciate your input in this :)

Here is a video about my shortlist & reasoning for picking those planes

Links to those planes:
    The Volantex Ranger 1600: The Volantex Ranger 1600 at banggood

The HobbyKing Bixler 3: The HobbyKing Bixler 3 (new version)

The MPX EasyStar II: The MPX RR EasyStar II

FlyteTime likes this.
  2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

I'd do the bixler 3 just cause most people are familiar with the bixler line..and could be a bunch of people who would buy it and follow your lead. Just my thought.

bogusbandit56, FlyteTime and DutchRC like this.
  3. That for sure IS a good point yes.. And well.. they sure fly just fine :)

FlyteTime likes this.
  4. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

My choice would be the Ranger with the plastic fuselage for durability and as you said more space for gear. And yes I agree it is the best looking of the three in my opinion. I almost bought one of those a while back but never pulled the trigger on it.

DutchRC likes this.
  5. Yes.. it depends a bit on how quickly it comes back in stock.. Most replies say: Ranger :)

6. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

The Volantex for me. RMRC featured this plane too. I like the larger bay area and I could take or leave the plastic fuse ... EPO has proven to be impressively durable so not necessarily a deal breaker.

The Volantex has a little less up tilt to the motor and in my mind just feels more efficient for level flight after experimenting with the KkExplorer a year or two ago.

Landing gear is a nice feature but in this scenario only creates a little extra drag and its only real benefit is for take off as you mentioned.

Finally I think it just looks better balanced overall to my eye. This being purely a visual impression.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    malukk, FED50H, DutchRC and 1 other person like this.
  7. have you ever seen the video in which someone 'uses' a plastic fuse like that as a baseball bat? :)
    They really are quite strong..
    I think that video was with the Tough Trainer..

yep.. I like that lower uptilt on the motor as well :)

8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Yes I had... the plastic bat planes are a hoot really and about as durable as it gets.

The most critical point is the amount of flex it gives up along the tail section on this type of frame. Things get a little narrow as it reaches out to the elevator and if there is any twist or flex at all can be a real handful buffeting against a windy day.

Let us know what you decide on ?

DutchRC likes this.
  9. True.. I wouldn't really know how to solve that well to be honnest (short of filling the tail with foam)..

somehow I find myself allso considering the new HK Avios Bush Mule by the way :$
    And yep.. I will keep this thread going with my updates on this project :)

TomMonton likes this.
  10. Hatshikidee! I have my new plane in.. An overwhelming majority of people said I should go for the Ranger 1600.. Soooo here it is :)

Here is the maiden flight with it.. I will be doing more video's about / with this plane however :)

FED50H likes this.
  11. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Out on the road and this guy pops up on the tube
    IMG_20180411_101220180_HDR.jpg

Good looking plane...I started with a skysurfer as my first real RC plane. Hard to beat that style for long flights, stable platform and massive carrying capacity. Thanks as always for the information.

Wildthing and DutchRC like this.
  12. Hahaha SUPER! :D

These (pusher style semi-gliders) realy are THE beginner planes or what? :)
    I DO wish more would have a T-tail by the way (the horizontal stab allways catches on things)..

This is one of my first planes:
    [​IMG]

The Graupner rookie... same kind of plane obviously..

FED50H and Wildthing like this.
  13. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Love the looks of that tail. I'm still torn between the twin boom style, like the skyhunter, or with these top mounted gliders..I've flown both and they are both mega stable and offer long flight times...

Never heard of using a plastic bat as a fuselage...interesting....I'm betting a bat could be cut and applied to the bottom of one of these gliders for strength and support easy enough.....

14. twin-boom planes look nicer / more unusual.. the propellor will get closer to your hand at launch though..
    But yep.. they can both be excellent planes :)

Ah and yes.. there is that fuselage.. Very hard-wearing and more room in the fuse for 'stuff' ..
    I'm actually pretty sure that touch-and-go I did would have damaged a foam fuselage...

FED50H likes this.
  15. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I can't help it but to want this bird. The price is right too.

Bring us to your video setup next ... I'm eager to see where you go with this.

malukk likes this.
  16. malukk likes this.
  17. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I picked up one of the xm/f3evo boards from horus and have had it for a year.... forgot about it. An sxr reciever built into a flight controller. I plan to use that in a 280 frame that I have. Saves me outboarding a telemetry radio through sbuss.

I like the video/ dc distribution board you show.... slick. I am on that one.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    DutchRC likes this.
  18. Yeah.. Matek seems to have a board / FC combo for just about every need :)
    I just ordered a Matek F4 board with integrated receiver as well for a quadcopter (I crashed the FC in my monster-quad into the grave :p)

19. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

.... and I just ordered a Volantex 1600.

I should see it around the end of the month.

DutchRC likes this.
  20. There you go! You won't be disappointed :)
    Where did you order yours from if I may ask? :$