NEW 2017 HYDRO JET Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jan 29, 2017.

1. This would be my thought

Capture2.jpg

2. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

i doubt an extra ounce will matter..people are too obsessed with weight....if the nose is heavy just glue on some pennies farther back...it's what i do...so you want to add an extra 1/2 lb? no...but don't be scared but a tad more weight.

3. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

You know me, I always build light, so weight is not something I obsess over. For this though, its mentioned if it goes over 18 oz, then the prop will hit the water or the ground. So in this case, just looking to avoid that weight point.

lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  4. JettaManDan

well if it is heavier it will sink in the water a bit more i guess...but if it is built to spec..how could the prop hit the ground if it clears normally? flex? guess i have to build one myself at some point..lol

lysle42, Wildthing and BadAxeFlyer like this.
  5. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Most of my use will be on the ground, so really dont want the prop hitting the water. I am not fussing over this, just discussing it. I am at that point of the build, so just finalizing what I am going to do.

6. JettaManDan

cool...looking forward to seeing the result!

7. Jagger35

Jagger35 Cadet

Thanks

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Carbon fiber is not affected by water. A lot of so-called bamboo skewers are made of rattan which could soften and deform when wet.
    Carbon fiber or Panda food............YOU DECIDE!

9. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

This is what i would do for floats and the area your all talking about , First i do not know if its doubled up if not that is the first thing i would do , for the top section inbetween
    cut and place a piece between floats secondly i would cut 2 pieces of carbon rod , and place them about 1/2 inch inbetween the doubled section . running across. on the outer edge

At this point i would use White glue and coat the top and bottom section running across that you doubled up and floats using a paint brush this takes some time to dry and do .
    but everyone problem would be solved . i covered my ventral fins both sides 3 coats and i tell you it did not register and weight gain when dried .
    What i did notice is how strong it became and stiff i was like wow ..

I am surprised being this is a amphibian plane that its not even on the instructions to coats bottom sides of floats with White glue and stress points of the plane
    And if you think your adding weight think again then you can take the skewer and smack that plane around

lysle42 likes this.
  10. JettaManDan

then don't submarine it! people will paint over the wood anyway..should be fine...

lysle42 likes this.
  11. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

ok, went with JettaManDan's suggestion. Wildthing, I was gonna go with your idea, at least down to the existing spar, but that channel for the carbon tube going straight down the cockpit would have required digging out the glue line where the base plate is joined. I decided against that. Anyway, adding the 4 additional tubes (not rods) added 5.8 grams of weight, plus whatever the glue and tape added on top. So, 6 to 7 grams weight addition? STRONG cockpit area now. Sounds perfect since people are gluing weight to the nose. We will see in the end. If i have enough weight left over, I will also add plastic folders to the bottom of the sponsons for concrete protection.

Attached Files:

Newt, JettaManDan, lysle42 and 3 others like this.
  12. the142

the142 Airman

Got a link. I have like all the colors but...not a bundle of colors.

lysle42 likes this.
  13. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

lysle42 likes this.
  14. JettaManDan

wow..perfect! glad i could help....when i build one this is what i will do as well. Think 7 grams is negligible. Looks factory ;)

lysle42, BadAxeFlyer and Wildthing like this.
  15. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

For my Sponsons, I sealed with a mixture of 15 min Epoxy and a healthy dose of microballoons (Sponsons were glued together with Foma-Tac, then I sanded to shape, then laid down the seal layer of epoxy + MB). I just filled my sink, and dunked them in 3/4 of the way (since there is no top, lol) No Leaks at all. Nice. So glued them to the wingplate and will seal that with epoxy+MB. The Vert stab getting glued on next. Then its just electronics and colored tape.

Got 3 really nice days where I am at. If wind is low enough the next 2, I might actually get a maiden in this week. Wont be from water though. Will get video if I get out there.

16. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Ready for electronics and tape. :)

20170222_120624.jpg

menus666, Airflow, lysle42 and 5 others like this.
  17. lysle42 likes this.
  18. davidhyams

davidhyams Cadet

I already have a Polaris and an Icon which are enjoyable but sort of limited when it comes to flight characteristics. The RCPowers Hydro Jet has totally captured my imagination by combining hydroplane and areophane design elements. As usual I will start off with the RCPowers Hydro Jet design and then start making alterations.

I’m thinking about adding another motor and then moving the motors to the front of each sponson. Programming differential thrust into the twin motors should enhance yaw handling even on ice. Moving the thrust point forward may require a center skeg under the cockpit to prevent submarining when blasting thrust during takeoffs. Adding another vertical stabilizer with rudder to the end of each sponson will take advantage of each motors thrust line.

Adding all this weight may require enlarging the wing surface. I’m thinking about using a RCP Euro V5 wing type design outside of the sponsons to increase stability. Adding polyhedral wing tips should increase roll control at lower speeds. I really like the thrust to weight ratio of the Emax Rs 2205 2300kv Motors with 5x4.5 3 blade props. Because of the extra motor, a 3S 2200 mAh battery might be a good choice to get flight times around 8 minutes.

Since the power system has been moved away from the main fuselage, the main fuselage can be a continuous sphere from the nose and reduced in length. The main fuselage will contain the battery and radio receiver in a water tight compartment. A battery hatch can be added directly behind the cockpit.

As I said, my imagination has been peaked after seeing the RCPowers Hydro Jet design. I’ll prototype the alterations using a make shift wind tunnel until I get enough things figured out to give the new design some air time. I’ll compare my altered design to the original RCPowers Hydro Jet RCPowers Hydro Jet characteristics until I have created something noteworthy and then reply to this thread.

lysle42, Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  19. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

I had that Exact same problem with those Exact same control horns on my F-35 V3.

Junk.

Do Not buy the DuBro "Micro Razor Control Horn" Part number 936

lysle42, Wildthing and Newt like this.
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I am pretty sure these horns are intended for ultra light weight indoor 3D models.