NEW 2017 HYDRO JET Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jan 29, 2017.

1. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

I am stealing your tape theme. :) But I have so many colors, I will try to choose a different color combination. ;)

2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Your most welcome, I stole it off someone else anyway:D.
    I love the stuff and must get some more. I have black yellow blue red and orange.

3. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

simple, quick, efficient, and looks sharp. :) My SU-35 is done similar, and its my fav RCPowers jet so far, still never crashed it. I crash everything I paint, so Tape it is. Plus it gets mu up and flying quicker. I bought a rainbow box, I think I have about 10 different colors.

4. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

.....look'n good

5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks, Tom. I think this build would be ideal for your WIG/ GEV mix.
    Are you going to build one?

lysle42 and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Go easy with it as solid colours can bump up the weight on a plane, as you see, I use just a few stripes and probably a good idea to keep it near the center of the plane and not on the tips like I have:)

lysle42, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.
  7. CrstnJdi

CrstnJdi Airman

That's not quite correct. They send you the pdf file to your email. I'm presuming they attached it as a file, instead of a link. (?) If so you will have to download it to your computer then on some other form of media to burn a copy to it or to somewhere else (like iCloud). Then again, if you lose it you could ask them to send it again to you if it's deleted somehow.

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Yes, email attachment. If I can download it and print it off at home anybody should be able to.

9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I managed to get out and maiden the Hydrojet, but the conditions were less than favourable.
    The field I fly in is situated in a valley and experiences some strange turbulence. I have a friend who although very experienced will not fly here even if the wind blows lightly.
    As all builds are different, I will give my opinion and observations of my model and not a critique.
    Like most deltas it can be a little tricky to fly in crosswinds and with all the weight on top of the wing plate this trait is amplified.
    My plane suffered from adverse yaw when turning down wind and rudder is necessary to turn the plane.
    I will address this issue either in the transmitter or can be done mechanically by offsetting the control horns.
    I had balanced the plane at home in a neutral CG position but this turned out to be to nose heavy for my liking.
    I did try flying the plane without the nose weight off camera but then the CG was too far rearward.
    I got the chance to try some inverted flying and the plane seemed happier on its roof than the right way up, this would be due to the top-heavy nature.
    I am looking forward to getting the plane trimmed and flying it off water.

I have found with most flying boats there has to be some compromise in performance, but I am sure everyone that builds this plane will have fun with it.
    For less experienced pilots I would recommend flying in calm conditions and for the more experienced pilots, don`t forget, it has no thrust vectoring!

10. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

No, its a link they send you and once you have downloaded it once, if you try again, it states you have exceeded your download limit.

I can copy the pdf where I need it, thats not the point. I purchased the plan, should be able to download it at will. Sometimes in work, I would like to print a page or 2 out for repair parts, well my work blocks all usb drives, and access to internet mail, but I can get to my downloads. Well, thats out now. So its not a mattter of know how, I work in IT, its a matter of convenience.

11. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

No attachment in my email, just a download link, good for 1 download.

lysle42, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  12. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Progress. Got the base plate together, KF/Cockpit support is glued down. Elevons and Rudder, beveled and Foam-Tac hinged, supported with Drywall tape and UHU-POR. CF Tubes (Epoxy with microballoons) are in, and cockpit is together. Not too bad. Would have done more but it was so nice yesterday I kept going outside with the wife and the dogs.

Attached Files:

Airflow, Fz1Fazer, lysle42 and 4 others like this.
  13. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Stupid question, but I often overthink things, then get totally confused. For the Sponsons and rails, the parts are marked left and right. Are they left and right as seen from the front of the plane looking back, or the back of the plane looking towards the front?

14. Nice, looks like you had your hands full on takeoff and the breeze sounded like a good wind. How come you didn't use the water landing strip to the left of you??

Cheers
    Jeff

15. It would be as if you were sitting in the cockpit facing forward same as your car.

16. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

TYVM

lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

because I didnt want to take the plane home in a bag.LOL
    There is a description on youtube. The water ran at an angle to the wind and anything but straight on would have turned her over:)

lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

As you sit in the plane to fly it, A`la pilot mode:)

lysle42 and Shannon like this.
  19. Skydiver

Skydiver Ace Pilot

-Don't forget to seal the inside seams of the sponsons too!

lysle42 and Jagger35 like this.
  20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Post#66:)

lysle42 and Jagger35 like this.