NEW 2017 HYDRO JET Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jan 29, 2017.

1. the142

the142 Airman

How about 1,200 props when hobbyking sold them for $.01 each. How many did yall buy? I went OD

lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  2. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

I am glad I held off from the VTOL, so many issues with it right now. I will wait to see if they get them ironed out.

No extra stuff here as far as planes. I have over 20, but fly everything I own, nothing remains boxed. It might get flown, then set aside, as i find my tastes change from week to week. Might want to fly jets one week, then profile planes for 3D practice, then UMX planes in my front yard so I dont have to travel to the field. I do have planes i have flown once or twice and don't really like them, but even them I plan to return to when my skill level is better. I only have 2 things i have not flown. A Wing, just cause so far not interested, and a 200 racer quad, cause I am not quite ready for that yet, but cant wait.

As far as parts, I dont consider my parts as extras. They are my scratchbuild parts. I don't care how many of something I have, I know I will use it someday. So no extras there either, just stock. :)

For me, the newer stuff gets cooler and cooler, so I wont let older stuff stop me from building something new. I will sell the old stuff if I have to. But new stuff always for me. :)

lysle42, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. the142

the142 Airman

Badaxeflyer im alittle jealous of the time you have. I admit i could try harder and squiz in flight hours weekly but im stuck in a routine that doesnt include flying. I too superstock with plans to use in the future. I also buy when things are super cheap. So overall im ok, its just that i over overly stock....its what i tell my wife anyway-that its for future use...which it is. I have like 32 sheets of mpf, 10 sheets of pink stuff, like 25 dollar tree, 2 wings, edf, i mean im good for like 5 years lol.

Thanks for mentioning the vtol has problems, i too will wait for v2. Im really staying away from watching rc videos and forums because that leads to the wallet.

4. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

For the VTOL, just keep watch of the thread over at rcgroups.com. All the details are there.

I dont have much more time than most. I work full time, have a wife that I adore, so do things to keep her happy as well. But, my son is grown and moved out, so I have that time back. A lot of folks here fly way more than me. I love how everyone in this hobby has a different story, and a different set of circumstances regarding flying (time, location , club, no club, indoor, wind, etc....)

Good luck with your progress. 1200 props? Yea, you might want to reel it in a bit, LOL, or open a store.

Back on Topic.

What are you guys using to seal the sponsons? I am gluing them up with foam-tac, but was thinking I would use epoxy with a heavy dose of microballoons for the seal. What do you guys do?

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  5. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

Live by the principle of scarfology. Things disappear from the marketplace, so scarf them up while the scarfing is good.

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I`m going to run a bead of hot glue along the seams and wipe it off so that there is a thin film covering the join. Put it in a bowl of water and see if it leaks.

7. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Yep, done that and it doesn`t leak.

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have got to this stage in the build.
    I have used Depron model foam which is lighter and softer than standard depron and tears easily if the scalpel is not razor sharp.
    The scalpel was a little dull so I will have to spend more time sanding.
    I will run a hot iron along the leading edges of the plane which will melt the surface of the foam and make it harder without adding weight. One must be careful not to get the foam too hot as it will snag the edges and look nasty.

Attached Files:

9. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Nice. And are you using low or high heat setting for that?

10. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

My gun only has one heat and it is just right for depron.
    I use a piece of scrap foam to wipe the joint to leave a really thin film.
    One thing I must point out that all though one sponson passed the bowl test it was not sealed perfectly.
    I tried sucking through the joint and it leaked so I repeated the glue and wipe process and all is good.
    Please no silly comments on the sucking thing, let`s call it a vacuum test:)
    I think a better method of testing for leaks would be to fill a bucket of water and place the sponsons upside down and push it to the bottom of the bucket.
    The pressure of the water will compress the air and air bubbles will come from any weak joints.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    lysle42, Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  11. Newt

Newt Administrator

Looks good!
    I used a similar scheme on my tail.
    IMAG0136.jpg

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I used coloured packing tape on the vertical stabilizer because the foam was warped. By taping it and then running a hot iron over the tape it is possible to shrink the tape and take the warp out and once the tape is shrunk it adds some torsional rigidity to the fin.
    You have to be careful not to get the iron too hot and melt the tape and foam.
    It also works well when you get those little bits that won`t stick on the edges, as the glue melts a bit and then sticks really well to the surface.
    I will carry on and decorate the wings with tape as I am not good at painting:)

lysle42, Shannon, EricR and 3 others like this.
  13. Newt

Newt Administrator

Already to go in the morning! Too bad all of the snow melted off today. I'll have to run it on the pond.
    My compliments to the r&d, design , engineering, drafting and every other staff member at RCPowers corporate facilities!
    If this baby flies as good as it went together it will be an all around winner.

All up weight with an 1800 battery came in at 17.6 oz and cg right on the marks.
    I'll shoot some video of the maiden flight - because, without video..... it never happened!
    IMAG0143.jpg

14. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

I will let you know how my method stands up in the bucket test. I am just beginning assembly, so should be in the next few days.

15. Newt

Newt Administrator

Well. It flew great right up o when the right control horn broke.
    Film at 11....
    IMAG0144.jpg IMAG0145.jpg

Flybyknight22, lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  16. Ah too bad! Is it easily fixable?

17. Newt

Newt Administrator

Lol, yeah.
    It was such a quick build . I'll just build a new one.
    With different control horns!

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

So sorry to see that, but it looks to be a flimsy control horn.:(

19. Newt

Newt Administrator

Guess it was.

20. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Downloaded and building this one. It reminds me of the Eyeball with it's high alpha characteristics. Should be fun build and able to fly off of many surfaces all season long.