NEW 2017 HYDRO JET Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jan 29, 2017.

1. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. Jagger35

Jagger35 Cadet

Just purchased, printing today, building tomorrow. So glad you made a new version. I never got to build the last one. Can't wait!

3. Newt

Newt Administrator

Let the wild rumpus start!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Airflow, lysle42, Wildthing and 4 others like this.
  4. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

When you gonna join the 21 century, Mark?
    [​IMG]

Goodbye Note 7 Hello S7 Edge!

5. Newt

Newt Administrator

Wildthing and F1wanabe like this.
  6. Newt

Newt Administrator

If I was the gourmet coffee Baron of west Jersey then I'd have custom printers at my finger tips too!

7. First of all - fantastic job RC powers!! This is a great "old is gold" plane. Cant wait to start building it.

Just a waterproofing tip for all you guys building this plane and plan on flying from water:

Use MG conformal silicone coating (link, link) to waterproof your electronics such as ESC, Rx, etc... I have used this on all my RC electronics and it works very very well....and it doesn't need constant checking and re-applying as one would do if using corrosion-X or WD40...

Follow this great video on how easy this is to do and reliability test:

VERY IMPORTANT: do not apply this stuff on your "removable" connector pins on the Tx or the JST-SH connectors on servos... This coating does not allow the electricity to flow thru as the name suggests: "COATING"... At the "point of contact" such as servo connections, use WD40 or corrosion-X and you'll be all-set to fly from water without worrying about shorting your electronics...

Looking forward to all your build pictures...

8. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

If you have built all of your polaris's with the internal servos then you have just made life hard on yourself. Unless the plane will only be flown off of water 100% of the time, there is no reason to stick with that setup. Poking the servos through the fuselage to the outside and then running the controls to the ailerons makes for a super simple install and ease of adjustment. Same with the elevator servo and the rudder. All can be mounted in ways to make the plane fly perfect and not make the build harder. I have flown mine off of grass and dirt and concrete and all terrains..some slick milk jug material on the bottom and it works great on any surface. Same here or this plane. Seal the sponsons...glue and tape..then add some slick stuff to the bottom and fly it off of any surface.

Airflow, lysle42, Wildthing and 3 others like this.
  9. Aeronut

Aeronut Rookie

I never bought something so quick from a email. After seeing something like this from a German company years ago I wanted to get on one but didn't want to pay the price. Sorry RC Powers didn't like your first version but this one way better. Saw your video then.... BANG money flying out of my paypal acount and now i'm printing it. THANKS!
    PS my wife hates you.....lol

Airflow, lysle42, Shannon and 3 others like this.
  10. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

The easiest and cheapest way to make the RX waterproof is to put it into a balloon and seal the entry as good as possible.
    Yes I mean that rubber thing for kids or parties. It is stretchable enough to get the RX inside and it works great for boats too, plugs can be without any coating, so no contact problems at all.

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Great stuff. I have been after one of these for around 4 years and couldn`t find the original.
    I am looking forward to getting it built and in the bath tub:)
    Nerr just kidding, I have plenty of water around where I live and it should be great when the flying field floods, as it does frequently:)
    I will be using vaseline and condoms on my build, or chain grease and balloons, just depends who is in the pharmacy at the time of purchase.

12. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

Hi BB,
    the next rain will come for sure!
    Or is it raining now?
    Water should be really no problem where you are. ;)
    Cheers,
    Andreas

Edit:
    Don't forget that a raincoat will not work together with vaseline. xD

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  13. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Sp, I got the plans printed tonight at Office Depot. Here is what I encountered. At actual size, the 1st page is 25x49. But the largest Office Depot prints is 36 x 48. So we tried it at actual size at 36 x 48. Whew. All the parts fit, just didnt get the border on the one side. So all good.

Page 2 has no ruler for scale. Actual size states 25 x 11, but measurable size (from border to border) came out at 24 x 10. She printed this page twice to confirm. So without ruler for scale on page 2, is this correct? I see others have printed this already. So I figure you guys should be able to answer easily.

Build will start tomorrow I think.

None of my usual flying spots have water, so water flights will always be a special trip for me, which means, no matter my intentions, most of its flying will not be on water.

14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Andreas, nice to see you on the forum again.
    You don`t need to be a meteorologist to tell when it`s going to rain in the UK, but you would be a sucker to believe one when they say it`s going to be sunny and warm,:)
    All the best,
    Ian.

15. Eldorado4

Eldorado4 Airman

I believe I will have to buy this one for the Wife to fly along with my Mako which is the only Craft we have that's Not a RCPOWERS Build, Looks real good Dave !

16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

WOW, Malukk, that stuff is expensive in the UK ! It would be cheaper to fit new servos, receiver and ESC. I`m going to stick to my idea of vaseline on the servos and ESC in a balloon and just hope the ESC doesn't overheat:)

malukk, bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  17. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Glad you got it printed out well BA!

Yes the foam size is where the measurements are from the plan paper size should be an inch bigger than that. So your sizes are correct.

I've already updated the second page with a scale thanks!

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  18. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

It's expensive in my country as well BB56. Good piece of protection, but comes at a price

I think, this hydro is the RCP's built of the year!

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

Wildthing, malukk and Fz1Fazer like this.
  19. mark3092

mark3092 Cadet

I do love the polaris also but this looks to be an easier build
    I use corrosion X to waterprooof my esc, its not cheap but lasts forever. I got the aerosol type but just sprayed it into a container and submerged the esc into it. ive been using the same tub of stuff for years.
    the good thing about this model is all the electrical parts seem to be well above the water unlike the polaris
    printed mine off ready to go.
    I know it recomends 1300ma batteries but im "hoping" to get away with 2200 ones as i have loads of them

Airflow, lysle42, Eldorado4 and 2 others like this.
  20. Fz1Fazer

Fz1Fazer Ace Pilot

When I see the pics the small 1.3Ah is all the way forward, so you will get in trouble with CoG even when your built is lightweight enough for the 70 gramms heavier battery.
    What`'s about upscaling a bit?