NEW 2017 HYDRO JET Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jan 29, 2017.

1. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I appreciate the tip, actually the bottom is all white except for the green piece under the head. The yellow hue is actually the late afternoon sun shining on it. So as long as the green part is going forward I'm in pretty good shape.

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  2. LEADSOLO#5

LEADSOLO#5 Cadet

Nothing like a fresh blade and a few sheets of depron!!!! Going to go with a traditional unlimited hydroplane paint scheme... Oboy oberto, frosted flakes, Budweiser, Kisw, what would you guys like to see??

SukhoiLover, Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  3. This Bud's for me. :)

4. rcfoamfly

rcfoamfly Airman

Well I couldn't resist making a Hydro Jet kit. I've now got the kit available on my website.
    ConstructedSmall02.jpg
    http://www.rcfoamfly.com/Products/SectionRCPowers/index.shtml

Here's something interesting. I actually sell the kits cut from 6mm Depron - of course. But for the purpose of photographing the kit, I just decided to cut it from 3mm Depron instead. Well it's so light and just glides through the air very slow. I'm seriously considering adjusting the kits a little and selling a version cut from 3mm Depron. With a smaller powerplant, battery and 3 gram servos, they could be a good option for an indoor flyer.

malukk, SukhoiLover and Shannon like this.
  5. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

hstroisch,

I agree with you, it would make a good first plane.

Not only is it easy to fly but easy and quick to build with minimal power plant requirements for tons of fun.

On take off no tossing required as it takes off even from rough grass in my tests. Added bonus is no worries about prop strikes on landing.

There are lots of reasons to like this little jewel.

6. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

I just purchased this little nugget! hoping for a really wet summer with many puddles on the lawn. LOL ;-)

7. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

glass the Bottom matter fact glass the whole plane :) if anyone has ever glassed and or looked @ .75 cloth i just picked up some hobby shops will bend you over i picked up a wooping 25 sq feet for 8 bucks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    lysle42, Airflow and Shannon like this.
  8. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

lol Really 64 bucks for plans and you send them foam

lysle42 likes this.
  9. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

No fiberglass available.., but I have some carbonfiber for that purpose, but I think I'll keep it for later use. This plane will be flown hard to die young...:D

lysle42, RobDavis, Shannon and 3 others like this.
  10. Eldorado4

Eldorado4 Airman

That's some Awesome Silicon and will switch from the Corrosion X for sure, Thx's and Nice Video !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lysle42 and Shannon like this.
  11. Eldorado4

Eldorado4 Airman

Well to Edit my last comment I only used the Corrosion-X on my Mako and a Air Boat I built incase I had to retrieve the Mako from a Water Mishap but have never had to yet "knock on wood" but will use this Silicon with a Small FPV Quade Racer I'm going to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  12. You always need a backup, unless you want to go swimming. :D :D Or bring some of the neighbors kids along. ;)

lysle42, SukhoiLover and Eldorado4 like this.
  13. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Premiere, first to build 2017 season.
    The RCP Hydro Jet.

Material for this one.
    EPP 3mm, 6mm genuine Depron.
    Balsa wood, 3mm carbon fiber strip.

Some pictures of the assembly.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of the wing plate, made of 3mm EPP, reinforced with 3mm carbon strips.

[​IMG]
    And a picture of the pontoons, 3D all the way back for maximum carrying capacity.
    Made of 3mm EPP.

14. LEADSOLO#5

LEADSOLO#5 Cadet

Ready for paint

Attached Files:

15. LEADSOLO#5

LEADSOLO#5 Cadet

A little overspray but not too bad

Attached Files:

menus666, lysle42, RobDavis and 8 others like this.
  16. Nice job, how did you do the stencils?

17. LEADSOLO#5

LEADSOLO#5 Cadet

Took the time to cut out the logo from an actual box. Had to do it twice for both sides. The stars we done in a similar way. Ive done it plenty times on my jets. Its a lot of work but worth it in the end. I should have scanned amd used regular paper instead of the box cardboard. The 3m spray glue didnt hold on certain spots which led to the over spray. Cant be mad though.

18. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

BB56,

As usual you are all over it.

22oz is no problem for this little dude and for my part I have zero plans to fly it in water so that is a non-problem for me.

This Hydro-jet isn't a slow poke by any means either, it is plenty Zippy when you hammer it even with a Turnigy 2200KV motor on 3S.

I really like the wide flight envelope of this plane.

I could be wrong but I don't look at it as an intermediate flyer. I found it relatively easy to fly with the right throws, expo and power setup.

I really like these 3-blade props like the Master Airscrew I am using on it. Seems to cut down on torque roll a little bit. Doesn't give the best top speed but the power is torquey on the low end and smooth power all the way up to WOT.

Flying this Hydro-jet is some of the most fun I have had with a fixed wing in quite a while.

It just flys nicely, with long glides and it behaves well. I found no bad tendencies of any kind in my flights.

Dang thing will do just about anything you want, fly slow, fast, high Alpha or bank, yank and crank no problem!

No worries on prop strikes for take offs or landing, no problems on grass, mud, sleet, snow, water or hard surface take offs and landings. Has a more than wide enough flight envelope for most anybody I would think.

Those qualities are all the things that I look for in a Parkjet that almost all others do not possess.

For these reasons and more, in my opinion, the Hydro-Jet is a contender for the most perfect all around Ultimate Parkjet.

19. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I totally agree, it's become my 'go to' parkjet.

20. I admire your patience to cut out those labels, probably an hour plus per label. :)