NEW 2017 HYDRO JET Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Jan 29, 2017.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Looks like a blast! Great fun in that small area too- I love planes that you can keep close. Nice video, Jim!

2. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I painted today. Now 17 ounces with a 1300 IMG_0775.JPG IMG_0774.JPG

menus666, Newt, RobDavis and 8 others like this.
  3. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Very cool. She sure stands out nicely.

Shannon likes this.
  4. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Watching this AWESOME video, I now realize, this is what I wanted the Aeromodel Drifter to be. The Drifter was really fun on the ground, but so light, that less than half throttle would hit the flipping point often, just as this model does. I mean , what can you do with light foam right. But when this model has too much throttle you can fly it, even if its just to recover the stability. I know the Drifter is meant to be only a ground vehicle, but watching the vid is just hit me as a deluxe and better Drifter as a ground unit, and the bonus, PLANE. :) Just got snow last night but there is 40 mph winds out there today, so nope.

Shannon, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  5. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Short flight.
    Winds 8-10mph, 40 degrees, lots of trees.
    Hydro-Jet gets up quick and flys well. I expected to see some wing rock especially in this wind but didn't really notice any, it flew nice and is fun to fly. Hydro-Jet can fly slow, fast or in-between and has a nice long glide after cutting the power.

It is nice to be able to take off without tossing and landing without worrying about a prop strike, highly recommend anyone thinking about it to build and fly this little beauty.

Building a 120%% version now.

Changed the prop to a Master Air Screw 6x4x3
    on a Turnigy 2200kv motor.
    40amp Plush ESC
    GeForce 1300mah 40C battery.
    Taped 2-quarters and a nickle to the nose to get the CG on.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Hey guys I thought I'd share a video we did this winter having fun with the Hydro.

menus666, lysle42, Airflow and 5 others like this.
  7. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

yeah i'm gonna mess with my drifter this spring...wondering if just the battery all the way up front will fix the lift issue....dunno...

lysle42 and Wildthing like this.
  8. I think the only way would be to add control surfaces so you can control roll and pitch. You already have your rudder now just add some elevons.

lysle42 likes this.
  9. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Must say I really like this one. Flies great with very precise predictable movements. I'd say this would be a perfect model for first time builders and fliers.

Flybyknight22 and Shannon like this.
  10. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Hey guys, I recently finished my hydro jet and wanted to post some pics of my rendition. Early in this thread Newt was finishing up his plane and posted a couple of pictures of it. He thought it looked like a crow, a couple other guys thought it looked like a duck. I thought it looked like a duck as well so I decided to do a waterfowl themed hydro jet I call "Hydro Duck". Yeah, the bill isn't too ducky looking but I wanted to keep her streamlined so a big 'ole duck bill would have looked better but maybe not flown as well. I used some coarse sandpaper to give it a bit of a "feathery" look.

I have yet to put her in the air. I don't have a scale so I don't know what she weighs in at. Under the green piece on the ducks head I put 2 3/8" dowels for stiffening and a quarter right under the beak to get her balanced. She has the standard Turnigy 2200kv motor, 1300 Mah, 30A esc and 6x4 prop.

I wonder if I could use her as a decoy to draw in other ducks and then scare the crap out of them when I take off in front of them, that would be cool.... 20170317_182602.jpg 20170317_182646.jpg 20170317_182621.jpg 20170317_182924.jpg

menus666, RobDavis, Airflow and 7 others like this.
  11. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Ok I don't know how I made the pics come in upside down! Let me see if I can repost them.

12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I like the duck theme... very cool.

Airflow, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  13. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks Tom.

My first post of one of my planes and they came in upside down. I wonder if Shannon can fix them for me on her end.

P.S. I will not be held responsible for anyone injuring themselves standing on their heads to view my pics, lol.

Attached Files:

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  14. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

20170317_204557.jpg
    ... or just use a little smoke and a mirror

15. Oh very nice FlyteTime!!

16. Looks Great. :)

17. Nightswatch

Nightswatch Top Gun

man can you ever run fast :)

jimpalmer and Wildthing like this.
  18. BadAxeFlyer

BadAxeFlyer Ace Pilot

Very nice. My only suggestion (unless of course you are a veteran pilot) is to be careful with those colors on the underneath side. I do all black stripes underneath to help me with orientation. When I use the same colors on top and underneath, I have major orientation issues. So just putting that out there in case you hadn't considered it. If you have, then disregard. Looks very sharp.

Wildthing likes this.
  19. jimpalmer

jimpalmer Ace Pilot

I love the paint. Looks really cool

FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  20. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks guys for the kind words of support. I'm a relative newbie to the hobby, less than a year, and scratchbuilding for about 4 months. I love building as much or more as flying. I don't feel right unless I have something on the work table. I've recently done the Su35 V5 (what can you say, even I can fly that sweet plane) the Euro V5 (running a close second to the Su) F-22 V5 and the FRC AlphaJet.

Keep them plans coming, I'm all in!