NEW 2017 F-18 V5 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

I totally understand. It's really helpful to know the "why" behind what we do.

2. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Yes it is helpful.

From my perspective it would seem important to the bottom line.

For example:

I have built and flown the F-18 versions 2,3 and 4.

Until your comments regarding the rational for the updated V-5 version, I had no plans to build it at all.

Your explanation about the V5 is generally the information that I look for before making a purchasing/build decision.

Shannon, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  3. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Rookie

Wildthing likes this.
  4. wakajawaka

wakajawaka Rookie

Scott is the best

Shannon, e3_Scott and Wildthing like this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thank you, you are far too kind:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Scott

Shannon likes this.
  6. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Had the "Hornet-a-tolla of rock-and-rolla" out for a good thrash today:)

Over 50 flights on this plane now, having a real blast with it, it will be in my "hangar" for a long time to come:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

Shannon, Airflow, SukhoiLover and 2 others like this.
  7. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

And again....gutting at my desk! bahaha good fun.

Peter

Shannon, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Trying to keep it "faster and funnier", just for you, Peter:cool: All about having maximum fun for minimum dollar for me at the end of the day:)

Cheers,

Scott

9. TxTH

TxTH Airman

Well, here is my version of the F-18 v5. AUW 19.85 oz. NTM 2700 kv, Turnigy Plush 60A, Zippy 2200mah 40C, APC 6x4. Built with MPF and used Dollar Tree for the kf2. Added wingtip missle rails just for fun. Not quite scale but I like it. :)
    Only using 2 servos with 4x4 mechanical linkage to elevons and ailerons, no rudder at this point.

I hope to maiden it tomorrow if the rain holds off. 50% chance right at the time I will be at the flying field. Winds forecast at 3 to 4 mph.

F-18 May 2017 A.JPG
    F-18 May 2017 B.JPG

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  10. Excellent, looks awesome and fast. Hang onto your shorts fellas. :)

Shannon, TxTH, EricR and 1 other person like this.
  11. TxTH

TxTH Airman

First Maiden this morning traveled about 8 feet. Just as I released the plane the prop spun off! Thunk!!! Put prop back on, tightened really good and launched again. Started off very stable and was looking good but was pulling right. Trim wouldn't fix it so I need to do some control adjustment and balancing. I checked and the side to side balance is off because of the way I have the electronics with the 60 amp esc. The battery is pushed too far off center to one side, standing on edge rather than flat. I will start off by rearranging the esc and battery layout. I will go to a 1300 mah battery and that should help a lot. The 2700 wasn't even warm after the flight so I think I could drop down to a 40 amp esc as well. Once I get it trimmed out then I can experiment more with the 4S and 60 amp esc. The people at the field sure did want my plane. lol

By the way a heads up to Dave and Shannon. I don't know if you receive a copy of Model Airplane News, the official publication of the AMA (American Modelers Association). There was an article back in January that I responded to about flying sites and park jets. I included the picture I use for my avatar here at this site of the F-18 v4, F-15 v5 and the NAMC Mig-35. I received a letter asking to quote my response and to use the picture in the June issue. I have no idea what it will look like and may be a real simple quote excerpt or you may get a nice plug from it. :)

12. I would check all your control surfaces to make sure they are level , check control horns placement that they are centered over the hinge line and the holes are equal distance from the foam. Plus measure the amount of deflection left to right and make sure they move the exact same amount. I don't think the little bit of side to side balance would be your problem. Make sure the wing is flat and your verticals are parallel.

I wouldn't go down in the esc amps, 60A is the minimum I would run with that motor on 3S and when you go to 4S then I run a 80A one.

13. TxTH

TxTH Airman

OK, good advice. I will check everything else as I work through it today.

Shannon, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  14. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

You may have already done this, but check the control surfaces AFTER the tx is turned on AND the battery is plugged in. Some of my students will center their controls with the system powered down, and when they get everything going they find that their carefully centered controls aren't centered any longer. (Of course, I've NEVER done that myself . . . .)

15. TxTH

TxTH Airman

lol Been there and done that as well. Checked all flight and control surfaces for alignment (tx and rx powered on) and everything is ok. I did have one aileron in the outside hole rather than the center hole on my control horns so I corrected that. I had some significant damage to one side of the undercarriage on my hard landing so I repaired that and used LOTS of hot glue for reinforcement. lol. Added weight there I am sure but going with the 1300 mah battery dropped the auw to 17.3 ozs and the center-line balances as well after moving the 60 amp esc closer to the cg. That gave me more flexibility with the battery placement.

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  16. infomatte

infomatte Cadet

Hi guys...

This is my F-18 V5 in 200% scale ...

After a long time without posting anything due to overwork, I finally managed to finish this monster ....

The flight test was today ... the engine seems a bit weak ... but it was super stable, beautiful flight ....

Configuration:
    Engine: Turnigy 3010b - 1300KV - 420 W
    Propeller: 9x6
    04 Servos: Elevon in the elevator ... Ailerons mixed with flap ...
    ESC: Mistery 50A
    Battery: Geans ACE - 3cell - 2200 mha ...

Final weight with battery: 1500 gr

Tomorrow put the flight video ...

In the photo, I show the comparative with the Mig-35B - Fulcrum of NAMC (original scale)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: The painting is missing ... I hope I can paint for Saturday's flight ...

e3_Scott, Airflow, CrstnJdi and 6 others like this.
  17. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

WOW, that's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,large! :D

18. infomatte

infomatte Cadet

F-18 V5 - Scale 200% - RCPowers - #1 Flight

F-18 V5 - Scale 200% - RCPowers - #2 Flight

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  19. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Ha! This is SO COOL!

20. infomatte

infomatte Cadet

I managed to make a mix of the debut flight ....

e3_Scott, Shannon, Wildthing and 3 others like this.