NEW 2017 F-18 V5 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Mar 20, 2017.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out today for it's maiden and to begin dialing it in.:) Bit too windy to evaluate slow speed or high alpha, but I think I have it dialed in pretty well thus far for the rest of the flight envelope.
    2017-03-30 08.41.37.jpg
    Some flight video and a bit of a walkaround

You can review the details of my build further at post #36 above.

As mentioned in the video, my CG and best balance point ended up about 1/2" ahead of dead center of the black rectangle of the "CG spectrum" per the plans. Everything is still very tight around the CG which helps it respond quickly and effortlessly in all three axes.

My throws (pictures below showing where I held the ruler to measure these)

Elevons - 3/4" in the pitch, 1" in the roll;
    Ailerons - 5/8"; and
    Rudders - 5/8"

This plane is very quick and agile as I mentioned in the video, if the F-18 V3 is "the smart plane", this is "the sports car" of F-18s I have flown anyway:cool:

It tracks very true in turns, rolls and in pitch maneuvers like loops and split S. Very effective rudder control, it responds quickly with very little roll induced by the rudders.

It is fast, yet very stable at speed, no torque roll or speed wobble and no tendency to zoom or dive at full throttle.

It glides very efficiently, allowing for very soft landings, I just set it up on final, chopped the power about 6 ft off the ground and it just kept a very stable sink rate, needing just a little up elevator at the end to hold it off.

It actually handled the wind I had today quite well, I saw a bit of the "tail wagging" that planes with angled vertical stabs have in the wind at times, (at least in my experience from flying the F-18, F-22, F-35, T-50), but nothing that wasn't controllable. It definitely benefits from having rudder input in turns as I found sometimes turning into or with the wind the nose would stray a bit off track, so a bit of rudder kept it tracking true all the way through the turn.

Very pleased with what I am seeing thus far from this plane, if you are like me and have loved the F-18 V3 for a long time and want an F-18 that is quicker, more responsive and faster in a straight line without needing a big power system, the F-18 V5 fills that bill very well.:cool:

Well done, RC Powers:)

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

Dennys, Splashballz, Lgel and 12 others like this.
  2. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Very nice Scott. Nobody does a flight report presentation quite like you do. :D I really like the paint scheme on this one. I might have to borrow it.;)

3. Marshall06

Marshall06 Airman

Question regarding the optional airfoils. When would one use/need the kf2 and/or the kf4 airfoils? It's my understanding much of it is about one's flying style. I'm somewhere between a beginner and a intermediate flyer, I like doing low to average speed low fly-bys, I'm not yet into speed or high alpha flying, the few times I'll give a plane 3/4 - full out thottle is when doing rolls or verticle climbs. I do greatly appreciate a stable flying plane. I also like the looks of the KF2 and/or KF4 airfoils on a plane. With my flying style, should I add the optional KF2 airfoils? All input is greatly appreciated as I'm still learning at this point.

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Rocky -

Thanks so much for the kind words, much appreciated:) I have found most of my inspiration for camo style paint schemes at this website http://www.mariwoj.pl/

The one I used on the F-18 V5 is based on this one from an older Su-27/
    Su-30 paint scheme.
    su30ki[27].jpg

Thanks again:)

Cheers,

Scott

lysle42, borg187, SukhoiLover and 3 others like this.
  5. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Marshall06 -

Certainly like many optional features on park jets KF airfoil configuration does sometimes come down to personal preference.

However, it also can be a matter of what conditions you normally have in which to fly. In my experience, if you are flying in wind on a fairly regular basis, you will normally experience better stability, handling and wind penetration with KF4 configuration.

If you fly in calmer conditions and want a more "floaty" flight experience, KF2 might be a better choice. However, sometimes I have found in turns that KF2 can cause the controls to feel a bit "mushy" if the plane is slow, so it pays to be careful not to get too slow in a turn close to anything or the plane might be slow in responding and cause you trouble.

You can cut them out and actually tape them to your plane to experiment to decide which configuration suits your flying style and conditions before gluing them on if you are not sure.

Good luck:)

Cheers,

Scott

lysle42, borg187, Shannon and 4 others like this.
  6. Marshall06

Marshall06 Airman

Appreciate your prompt and thorough response Scott. Love the idea of taping them to the plane first and testing it. I do normally fly in calmer wind ... 10 mph and under.

lysle42, borg187, Shannon and 4 others like this.
  7. pileit1

pileit1 Ace Pilot

Thanks for the link Scott. I've seen that scheme before, but it appears you used silver in place of the gray?

lysle42, borg187, Wildthing and 2 others like this.
  8. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Rocky -

Yes I did, well spotted:) As I explained in post #36 above, I painted this plane as a tribute to 441 TFS of the Canadian Air Force who are/were (they are now deactivated) the "silver foxes", the Squadron patch is black and white, so I substituted silver for grey as a tribute to the Sqn and to three pilot friends who lost their lives in CF-18 accidents.

Cheers,

Scott

lysle42, Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sure thing Marshall:) A couple of other things to mention, especially if you are going to tape your KFs on for experimentation. You can hopefully see the 90 degree "step" along the trailing edge of the KF in the picture below, you want to maintain the integrity of that angle for the KF to work properly. If it is taped over at an angle or in a way that interferes with the 90 degree angle, the KF will not work to best effectiveness.

Also, with KF4, it is important to ensure the trailing edges of the top and bottom KF match when looking down the wing. If the trailing edge of either the top or bottom is even a couple mm further back than the other, it can cause the plane to either zoom or dive as speed increases in my experience.:)
    2017-03-31 07.42.47.jpg

Cheers,

Scott

10. Marshall06

Marshall06 Airman

Thanks for the added info on the airfoils.

borg187, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  11. KLucas

KLucas Rookie

A friend of mine is building the F18 V5. He asked for a little help from me as I have successfully built and flown the SU-27 V5 and the SU-35 V5. We are questioning the center of gravity gauges. The right side gauge and the left side gauge are not in line with each other. The right wing COG gauge touches the carbon rod score lines and the left wing COG gauge does not. Is this correct? Am I missing something?

COG1.PNG

COG2.PNG

12. Gjvoice

Gjvoice Rookie

First plane and confused about motor and prop selection. CW or CCW motor? how do i know the difference in props? pusher vs ? Thanks for the help!

borg187 and Wildthing like this.
  13. If you were sitting in the cockpit facing forward that is where everything is based off of, so sitting and looking forward (tractor setup) that prop would be turning clockwise (top spinning to the right), now if you turn around 180 degrees and it is a mid mount motor the prop would be going the same direction (top spinning to the right) .

borg187 and Shannon like this.
  14. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Hey thanks for letting us know. The Left side is correct. I'll update the plans and you can email us if you have any questions at [email protected] thanks!

15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

It doesn't really matter if you use CW or CCW props for these park jets. A couple of key things to always remember. On the front of the prop, you will normally find numbers indicating the prop's diameter and pitch as you can see in the picture below.
    2017-01-18 15.54.03.jpg
    These numbers should always be facing in the direction of travel, so facing forward whether the prop is on the front, back or in the middle as with these prop in slot park jets. Normally, these numbers are on the prop closest to the leading edge of the prop blade which is the edge that should be leading the way as the prop spins as indicated by the red arrow in the picture.

The beauty of brushless motors is that if the prop is spinning in the wrong direction after you have it mounted properly, simply swap two of the three wires between the motor and the ESC and you should be good to go:)

Good luck.

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    EricR, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  16. SukhoiLover

SukhoiLover Ace Pilot

Okay, two things:

One--It says a lot about RCPowers customer service that the mistake on the plans regarding the CG was posted early this morning (ET) and was answered ~3 hours later. That's one reason I love these guys.

Two--The prop should turn to tighten the prop nut. I wish I was smart enough to have thought this up on my own. Alas, someone pointed that prop rotation out somewhere in these forums. However, if you tighten the prop nut and check it each flight (pre-flight inspections, just like "real" airplanes) you should be all right. Besides, if the prop nut loosens, you'll know . . . .

Fly safley,

SukhoiLover

Gjvoice, Airflow, Shannon and 4 others like this.
  17. Gjvoice

Gjvoice Rookie

ready for electronics and power! f18.jpg

Airflow, RobDavis, jimpalmer and 8 others like this.
  18. Gjvoice

Gjvoice Rookie

Scott Thank you! I watch your youtube videos and love them. one question though, Why did you use the three blade prop vs the two blade on your F18 V5?
    Brian

e3_Scott, SukhoiLover and Wildthing like this.
  19. EricR

EricR Ace Pilot

Great paint scheme ! I may have to borrow it when I build mine :D

Shannon, SukhoiLover and Gjvoice like this.
  20. Shannon, SukhoiLover and Gjvoice like this.