NEW 2017 F-18 V5 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by RCPowers, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

XDmToter is right on and I couldn't have said it better.

The new F-18 V5 is smaller than the V4 and much more dialed in performance wise carrying with it all the new technology that all the V5's have (streamlined build process, weight balance, dialed in controls, etc.). It has been tested with several batteries including the 1300 and the 2200 and is a blast to fly. Please see plans for suggested CG range but adjust according to your preferences and plane's weight.

Eldorado4, Rigbone71, borg187 and 6 others like this.
  2. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

Hey thanks for the suggestions, we'll keep these in mind!

Eldorado4, borg187, lysle42 and 4 others like this.
  3. VenomKen

VenomKen Cadet

This looks so sick! Especially the Marine Red-Devil & Serpent paint scheme, and that final lift off just reminds me off the F-22 take off at airshows! Buying as soon as I can!

Eldorado4, borg187, lysle42 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jeriah

Jeriah Top Gun

From what I can tell it seems to be more streamlined, scale, and simple than your last version. The f18 V3 was my favorite but this one looks better.

Eldorado4, borg187, lysle42 and 4 others like this.
  5. rodgermoore2001

rodgermoore2001 Rookie

Do you guys have a package deal to get all the plans for all the planes? ive gotten v2 and v4 so far and would like to get v5 for a special price if i can?

6. Shannon

Shannon Administrator

That's a great idea. Send us an email and we'll see what we can do ([email protected]).

7. infomatte

infomatte Cadet

Well done, RC Powers, plans purchased:)

Vanderlei

8. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

So nice Shan, Dave! I agree with Greg. "All the v5's seem so dialed in"

9. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

....'bout time you got here.

10. Airflow

Airflow Top Gun

Thanks Tom, Yeah... Too much to deal with at work right now, soon (hopefully) more time at home than at work, now when the weather becomes more air-friendly when spring approaches.:)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  11. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Starting to look very much like a Hornet now:)
    2017-03-25 13.58.23.jpg
    Just need to leave it be for awhile to let all the glue finish curing before final shaping and sanding. The tails are just dry fit for now, those will get attached later on after most of the electronics are installed.

Like all the other V5s I have built (Su-27, Eurofighter, F-22, F-16), I'm impressed with the low parts count and simplicity of build. Although the F-18 V3 is one of all time favorite park jets, I like the size of this one a little better as it should have less drag with a smaller wingspan and be capable of some pretty great aerobatics and speed.

I will continue to putter away over the next couple days, weather better for building than flying, this will more than likely be my last build project of the winter, hope to maiden by the end of the week.:)

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  12. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

Final sanding complete, starting to work on the paint:)
    2017-03-26 09.45.49.jpg
    I adjusted the servo locations forward of the prop slot to concentrate things around the CG. Where the pin is located is the center of the black rectangle of the "CG spectrum" or the predicted neutral CG. From left to right, I will have the aileron, elevon and rudder servos in the appropriate holes shown.

I decided to continue an experiment with lighter 5 gr nylon gear servos for the ailerons and rudders (the light blue servo in the picture above, from RC Timer). I have been using them with great success with my RCP Su-30 V4 which has much larger ailerons and rudders than the F-18 V5 and they have held up really well for over 100 flights on that plane:)

Cheers,

Scott

lysle42, Splashballz, borg187 and 5 others like this.
  13. hstroisch

hstroisch Cadet

Downloaded and building this one. I've built all 3 versions when I get this one completed. Can't wait to compare them all. I'm excited. :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    lysle42, borg187, Shannon and 3 others like this.
  14. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

Same here. I've used 5 gram servos on the ailerons and rudders and 9 gram servos for the elevons on the last couple 7 channel planes I built. I do still use the good old 12 gram metal gear servos on my elevon only jets though.

Is that a KF-4 I see?

15. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Yes, KF4 made with paperless Dollar Tree foam, the remainder of the plane is built with MPF.

Cheers,

Scott

16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

One F-18 V5 ready to rock:cool: More pictures attached below.
    2017-03-27 11.22.56.jpg
    My build -

Built with MPF, KF4 airfoils from paperless dollar store foam. AUW with a 2200 3S battery is 20.2 oz/572 gr. I know that is a bit over recommended weight, but I used 4mm carbon rod for my two wing spars which adds a bit of weight, but makes for a super strong wing as I learned from the other V5s I have built.

Power system - DYS 2208/7 2600 Kv motor, Master Airscrew 6x4x3 prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC, Zippy Flightmax 2200 3S 40C battery.

Controls - two RC Timer 9 gr nylon gear servos for elevons, four RC Timer 5 gr nylon gear servos for the ailerons and rudders.

I put some extra reinforcement across the back of the back plate in front of the elevon hinge line as well as in the vertical stabilizers.

Other than adding KF4s to best suit my normal flying environment and flying style, I lowered the battery platform down somewhat to help with the "self righting" tendencies that I loved so much from the F-18 V3. As mentioned previously, I also moved all the servos forward of the prop slot to concentrate as much weight as I could close to the CG.

This is where everything is located right now balancing on the dead center of the black rectangle in the "CG spectrum" on the plans. To be confirmed/adjusted as I get a chance to fly it.
    2017-03-27 11.18.33.jpg

For my paint scheme, I used an "arctic camo" for inspiration as I think it looks cool and the color combination has some personal significance to me from my Air Force career.

For many years, I had a close working relationship with 441 TFS from when they flew the CF-104 Starfighter and for a long time when they flew the CF-18 Hornet before the Sqn was deactivated in Cold Lake, AB in 2006.

The color of the crest worn by Sqn members is black and white as you can see on the tail here.
    2017-03-27 11.17.59.jpg
    The official Sqn crest has a silver fox (also the Sqn's nickname from WWII) located in the middle, so I substituted the normal grey of the arctic camo for silver.
    13832129926681041705273.jpeg
    During my time in Cold Lake, I forged some very good friendships with the pilots and maintenance folks of 441 Sqn. Unfortunately, aviation by it's nature is a dangerous business and jet fighter aviation probably even more so. During the late 80s and early 90s, I lost three good friends who were all members of 441 in CF-18 accidents, so I have their names on my plane in tribute to the price they paid in serving this great country I am so proud to call home.
    2017-03-24 13.47.09.jpg
    Anyway, thanks for indulging my walk down memory lane. I am excited to get her in the air, hopefully this Thursday:)

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Cheers,

Scott

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    lysle42, Rigbone71, RobDavis and 11 others like this.
  17. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi Scott,

What a fantastic job. Your tributes are top shelf as well. Class act, man.

Peter

18. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks so much, Peter, much appreciated:)

Cheers,

Scott

19. kjdubuque

kjdubuque Ace Pilot

Nice looking build, as always.

Kris

20. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks very much Kris, much appreciated:)

Cheers,

Scott

lysle42, Wildthing and bimoadiprakoso like this.