NAMC Su-27 Flanker official support thread

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by e3_Scott, Apr 2, 2017.

1. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

The partners of NAMC are very excited to introduce the NAMC Su-27 Flanker. Plans in tiled and untiled formats for both MPF and Depron are now available at our website www.migsrus.com.

At NAMC, our motto is Puto, Consilium, Test et Convalidandum; Think, Design, Test, and Validate. With the Su-27, we decided to publish the complete background and process of how we go from think to validate in one of our designs. You can read the NAMC Su-27 design, build and test thread to learn what was involved during each step of the process. Also in that thread, you will see additional build and flight information from our test team to whom we are very grateful for helping make the Su-27 plans, instructions and plane something of which we are extremely proud.
    2017-03-15 09.08.08.jpg

Specifications
    • Wingspan - 27”/686mm;
    • Length (from the tip of the nose to the tip of the “booms”) 39.25”/997 mm;
    • Optimal weight with setups from our recommended parts list - 17-22 oz/482-624 gr.
    As you can read in the thread linked above and watch through the videos there, we have worked very hard to design the Su-27 from the ground up to be a scale looking version of the original Su-27. At the same time, considerable thought, design and testing was put into the air frame layout to ensure optimal balance and stability while maintaining the trademark Su-27 agility and quickness with minimal control surface movement.

While not a beginner’s park jet, the NAMC Su-27 has a broad flight envelope with good slow speed stability and handling, but for the speed demons out there, it is the fastest plane we have developed to date. You can go from flying smooth, scale basic maneuvers and with a quick shot of power can be doing aggressive, full on aerobatics to your heart’s content, even with the most basic, popular park jet power systems.

While working hard to capture the iconic curves and “drooped” nose of the Su-27, we strived to keep the parts count low and the build simple and strong. Before purchasing the NAMC Su-27, you can review our build instructions and watch this build tips video which compliments the instructions to get a good feel for what the build entails.

We are very excited about the NAMC Su-27, the latest in our continuing evolution as a park jet design team. Since forming the NAMC team, we have accumulated over 2500 flights on NAMC planes alone researching and testing in pursuit of the best park jets we can produce. The NAMC Su-27 is the result of endless hours of thought and research, meticulous attention to design detail, exhaustive and detailed testing between the three of us and thorough validation by ourselves and our test team.

Our sincere thanks to our test builders and pilots -
    • Carl (CRMERC from the US);
    • Eric (EricR from the US);
    • Peter (homey666 from Canada); and
    • Rocky (pileit1 from the US).
    Balanced, agile and fast, the NAMC Su-27 is also stable, predictable and forgiving when you need it to be. If you seek a great looking plane that is a simple, solid build with the potential for high performance aerobatics to take your flying to the next level, we believe the NAMC Su-27 will be a great choice.

Wishing blue skies and calm winds to everyone!

The NAMC team,

Scott, Stephan and Dave

2. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks very much, Jeff, I just sent you an e-mail with instructions so you can download the plans from the website. I am using a new e-mail address [email protected] as our migsrus e-mail addresses sometimes cause issues with links and attachments.

If you don't see the e-mail in your inbox in the next little while, perhaps check your spam folder or send me an e-mail back and I'll get it sorted for you:)

Thanks again and good luck with the build!

Cheers,

Scott

http://www.migsrus.com/

bimoadiprakoso and Wildthing like this.
  3. Got it, now to get them printed off.

Hey, nice job with the layout for MPF printing too. nice extra touch

4. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Jeff -

Great to hear:) Stephan has been creating the plans for MPF format since the Mig-35A, we are always glad to hear that sort of feedback, it makes Stephan's extra work worthwhile:). Looking forward to your build and flying of the NAMC Su-27, thanks again for your support!

Cheers,

Scott

bimoadiprakoso, EricR and Wildthing like this.
  5. sgmoran

sgmoran Ace Pilot

Thanks Jeff. With the plans I strive to minimize the waste and simplify the cutting process.
    Stephan

EricR, Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  6. You guys put so much detail in everything a guy can't go wrong, that is until he crashes it. :D

Going to build this one out of grey Depron and see how it holds up, it's a little more flexible then the white and you have to be really careful with the hot glue, melts it way faster. ;)

7. sgmoran

sgmoran Ace Pilot

I'm at pro at crash testing our designs and anything else I fly. That's why I only fly foamies anymore.
    I look forward to your build. Go to the end of the video...

8. :D :D , I saw that already, good to see you pros go down too. :D :D

bimoadiprakoso and e3_Scott like this.
  9. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Sounds great, Jeff, I've never built with grey Depron before, I did have a scrap piece of it sent to me in an RC Foam order once, I would say it was closer to MPF in stiffness. Look forward to learning from your experience:)

Cheers,

Scott

10. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Hi Everyone -

I had this little beauty out for some good fun today:)
    2017-04-03 08.59.11.jpg
    I decided to upgrade a bit and put the rails on the wingtips from the plans. I tapered them down from front to back to make them look as scale as I could and hopefully prevent too much drag.
    2017-04-03 08.59.19.jpg
    Right away as I launched the plane, just that subtle change made the plane look much cooler and cool is good in my books:cool: It certainly does add a very nice scale touch.

As you have seen in other pictures and video, I had previously flown my Su-27s without them as I guess I was worried about drag or more importantly, ripping them off moving the plane to and from the field:oops:

I was actually very pleasantly surprised with the difference they made in the plane's performance. It actually softened a lot of the "bobbles" I would see the plane make in the wind, helping it feel and fly just that little bit smoother, which I am always happy with.

At slower speeds and high alpha, it was almost like they were two little outriggers on the wing tips, I could certainly get a lot slower before any sort of tip stall started to happen and when they did, they were much more subtle and easier from which to recover.

I suppose it makes a bit of aerodynamic sense when I think about it (unless I'm having another "senior moment":confused:). Essentially I added a 6" long, 1/2" wide little bit of symmetrical airfoil to the wing tip to help with a bit more lift on the wingtip area. Whatever "magic" is happening, I'll take it!

Fortunately, I didn't feel like there was any noticeable increase in drag or other adverse behaviors, after adding the "rails", so a winner all around.

So for cool points and improved performance, I am cutting out another set to put on my other Su-27 and I will just have to be more careful getting my planes in and out of the car:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Scott

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    SukhoiLover, infomatte, Lgel and 3 others like this.
  11. bimoadiprakoso

bimoadiprakoso Top Gun

Congratulations NAMC, on the official release of SU-27! Stephan, Scott and Dave, you guys have done a great job on this new release. Great team of beta pilots (Carl, Eric, Peter, Rocky) as well

Best of success, guys!

Parkflyers International Parkjets

My Scratchbuilding Journey

Google+

infomatte, sgmoran, EricR and 2 others like this.
  12. infomatte

infomatte Cadet

13. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks very kindly, Bimo, much appreciated:) We certainly do have a great team all the way round, I'm grateful and humbled to be part of it all:)

Cheers,

Scott

14. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Thanks, Vanderlei, much appreciated, please enjoy your build, very much looking forward to hearing about your experiences with the Su-27 in the skies over Brazil:cool:

Cheers,

Scott

15. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

The same thread, over and over .......

JettaManDan likes this.
  16. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Kiko12 -

If I have done something on this forum to slight you or disrespect you in anyway, please accept my apology. I don't believe that I ever have, but that is not to say you did not infer something from what I might have said in the past as being disrespectful to you, so I'm sorry if any disrespect was felt by you.

Yes, there are two threads about this plane. This thread is now the official support thread for the NAMC Su-27 for those who have purchased the plans to ask questions, post build pictures and discuss the plane.

The other thread the NAMC Su-27 design, build and test thread was started two months ago as a vehicle to show people how we arrived at the final design so that we could all learn from each other.

If you dislike the plane, dislike me or how I conduct myself on this forum, fair enough. I would politely invite you to send me a PM here at RCP or e-mail me directly at [email protected] and we can discuss those issues privately.

This thread and the other are meant to be used by people who have spent money on the plane, need help or support or are thinking of buying it and want to know more about it, so please be considerate of them in both of the threads about this airplane. Thank you.

Regards,

Scott

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  17. Kiko12

Kiko12 Ace Pilot

The truth is that I appreciate everybody's work. Everyday I try to educate myself using various sources, magazines, videos, technical journals from all over the world. Everyday I am hungry for something new: materials, shapes, glues, techniques, electronics, mechanics, physics, software, concepts and so on. Just few years ago this web site was THE BEST SOURCE EVER due to the amazing work of Dave Powers and team. He experimented with all kind of moving surfaces, wing airflow, different sizes, gyros, power plants, and came up with his own construction methods, which can be clearly seen in the V-3, V-4 and V-5 RCPowers models. I am really sorry if I offended you or some other construction bureau, but most of the designs that are presented, advertised and sold here in the most popular threads look staggeringly similar to Dave's design.
    And that's my problem in the last couple of years - everyday when I visit the site there are "few classical threads" which repeat over and over the same information synthesized years ago by Dave.
    Think of it from this side - when you are super active in specific threads only, all other threads will be pushed aside and forgotten, and I saw a wonderful threads disappear because there are few guys that occupy everyday the front 5 "classical threads". Sorry guys, if I offend someone with my aggressive approach, but I really miss the creativity that we are all capable of.

JettaManDan likes this.
  18. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Hi all,

So here's a before and after on the nose repair. I know most have done a nose or two in the past, but for those who are a bit newer to all of this, this is one of the benefits of working with foamy park jets; they're super easy to make new again!

Peter

2017-04-04 14.42.15.jpg 2017-04-04 14.42.43.jpg

19. e3_Scott

e3_Scott Top Gun

Magical! Very quick repair indeed, Peter, well done:)

Cheers,

Scott