My Fiesler Storch.

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by bogusbandit56, Dec 6, 2018.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

After suffering a bitter disappointment with the Hobby King Durafly Storch I decided to design and build my own in depron.
    I will not be able to match the stunning finish of the Durafly version but I dammed sure I can improve on it`s piss poor performance.
    I found the Durafly to be to fast to heavy and would tipstall at low speed and landing.
    I also heard from a friend that his Vmark Storch also suffered with tipstall.
    This is a trait you certainly don`t want from a plane that was capable of hovering in a light breeze.
    I came to the conclusion that the fixed slats did nothing to improve the slow flying capabilities of a model of this size and have purposely omitted them, preferring to opt for undercambered wing tips to alleviate the tendency to tipstall.

I started this project in August 2017 and when it came to covering the wings with brown paper I sort of lost heart.
    Anyhoo I covered the wing earlier in the year 2018 and after another loss of interest in building I started with the project again a few days ago.

I don`t know about you but I get burned out with building and when I hit a small hicup I tend to abandon some projects or find something that I feel the need to build before finishing the current project.
    I have decided to persevere but only doing a little at a time.

Attached Files:

2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

As I am no Bob Ross when it come `s to painting I decided to use the shaped sponge dabbing method that I used on some earlier model like my Horten 7 and BV215.
    I paint on a rough base coat and then go over with different colours with the sponge using different parts of it to get alternate shapes.

Attached Files:

Sterling101, homey666 and Wildthing like this.
  3. Looks cool, nicely done. That looks like a long wing.

Sterling101 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

When it came to covering the air frame I used water based varnish slightly thinned with water.
    This not only sticks the paper to frame it also gives it some resistance to damp when dry.
    I first coated the frame with the varnish as it covers depron without resisting which you get with paint or white glue.
    I apply the thinned varnish to the pre- dampened brown paper which I soak in a bowl of water with a drop of washing up liquid to act as a wetting agent. After it has soaked and turned evenly dark, I dry most of the moisture by rolling the paper in a tea towel and then proceed cover the frame whilst the varnish on the frame is still tacky
    When applying the BP I use a credit card to squeegie the excess adhesive out and it makes sure the paper adheres to the depron without getting air bubbles trapped which will cause the paper to lift later on when it is dry.

Sterling101 likes this.
  5. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks Jeff. I am not too happy with the paint at the moment and will probably give the wing a bit more of the sponge treatment.
    The Storch did have a long wing but the full size version had some very clever flaps and slats that allowed for very good STOL and slow flying capabilities. My wing looks thinner than it should be because I have omitted the Handly -Page slats on the leading edge. I could put some fixed leading edge "fronterons" but I think the wing provide enough lift with the flaps.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    JTiger, Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  6. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Very nice, Ian. Great looking build. Anything you build will kick the crap out of Durafly!
    Here's to a successful maiden.

Peter

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  7. How long is your wing and rough length of the plane?

8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Hi Pedro:) Thanks for your vote of confidence. I probably should have waited for the maiden flight before making such claims.:D

Sterling101 and homey666 like this.
  9. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

What are you trying to insinuate?
    The fuselage is 32 and a quarter inches and the wing span is 46 inches.
    The full scale plane was 32 feet 6 inches long and the wing span was 46 feet 9 inches.
    Problem?:)

10. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Bahahaha..... sounds pretty close to scale! :)

11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It looks like I should have measured twice before cutting the wing to length:D

Sterling101, Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  12. I musta hit a sore spot. :D :D

Definitely a long wing :)

Sterling101 likes this.
  13. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Long in relation to what?
    Have you seen how long the two AN2 wings are when laid out end to end ?:D.
    You`re to used to jets.
    I think the camera lens distorts the image,possibly:)

14. quorneng

quorneng Ace Pilot

I am not sure how an under cambered wing tip reduces tip stall.
    With flaps deployed the effective incidence of the wing is increased so the tip area without flaps will stall after the flapped section of the wing.
    This also means the ailerons will continue to function (albeit rather weak due to low airspeed) unless the 'down' aileron exceed the flap angle then the tip will indeed stall first.
    Not a Storch but this has remarkably good manners down to ridiculously low speeds well below the 'clean' stall speed.
    FlapDownR.JPG
    The counter rotating props (no torque) helps at low speed as well as the differential ailerons (much more up than down).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    JTiger, Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  15. rodrigo

rodrigo Top Gun

Beautiful and clever design....dihedral on the aileron section cancel (or reduce) the loss of lift in the tip at bank in the turn.
    Remember, the problem of the tip stall is because the inner section of the wing in the turn has lower speed than the external then lower lift and this is most notorious in high aspect wings and tapered wings (not the case)... even worst if has higher wing load, bank turn and aileron down.
    To keep the plane safe reduce wing load (scratchbuilder are master in this), turn the plane flat at turns at lower speed (use rudder to turn, increase the rudder size to keep authority) and use ailerons gently .
    I use a function in. My radio to cancel down aileron movement (just move up in a turn) because in a slow turn with some bank when you correct the angle with standard ailerons the inner tip are critical and low then put aileron down and turbulence appears and the tip stall born...
    Regards

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

JTiger likes this.