Lipo 'issue'' HELP!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Hami21, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Hello Guys! I need your help if you can!! I was trying to solder some XT60 connectors onto my new rhino 11.1v 2200 lipo battery today and when i was readjusting the metal clip on my helping hand that was connected to the wire, i accidentally had it touch the wire and it sparked. I thought i had ruined the battery, but i grabbed one of my cell readers and it read all 3 cells to me, all about 3.8 volts. The battery wasn't puffy at all either. So i continued to solder the connections onto the battery and i was able to do it. I plug it into my Imax B6 charger to test the battery connection and when i go to balance charge it as a lipo, it gives me the "connection break" message. I went to solder on another connector to the battery and still gives me the same message, but the cells still read to me. I even went and plugged in one of my older batteries and the charger is able to charge that just fine.

So what is my problem here? I am an inexperienced solderer so i am partly blaming my terrible soldering skills, but when i pull on the wires it does not detach from the connector. I want to believe that i messed up the battery, but it does not seem like it either. What can i do now??? :(

trying2fly, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  2. 1st I would check and it may sound stupid but make sure you have the positive and negative on the right poles. You are reading the cells through the balance plug so it should be good. The positive wire should be on the square end of the XT60 plug.

When I solder new XT60 ends on I always have a male and female end plugged together so the metal ends stay exactly where they are suppose to .

Hami21 and malukk like this.
  3. My recommendation would be to clip off a little bit of wire to expose fresh metal strands and solder it again on to a new connector. When soldering make sure that there are no cold joints - meaning it is ok to heat up the solder on wire and connector until it flows nicely and do not move the wire until the solder cools down. This will make sure you wont have cold joint.

Also, immediate way of checking would be to connect a multimeter and read the voltage thru the XT60 connector and not thru the balance port.

Hami21 and Wildthing like this.
  4. Good point Malukk,

I always tin my wire ends and connectors before soldering together then I basically melt the two together.

5. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Hey guys...I check the battery with polymeter and even if i check positive and negative pole i have no power... Also I placed the XT60 to the right way positive to positive and negative to negative...i just cant understand... IMG_20180820_144657.jpg
    Even thought check on those photos...when i touch the red wire with the pole i have 3.80 volts on each cells.. IMG_20180820_144741.jpg IMG_20180820_144756.jpg IMG_20180820_144834.jpg ..but when i touch negative and positive with polymeter i have 0 volts...any ideas??

6. That looks like you are measuring the voltage of each cell and one of the cells appears to be dead! Just confirm it by measuring voltage of each cell across thru the balance port. If you don’t get voltage reading on one of the cells then your charger would give you connection break error.

Wildthing and Hami21 like this.
  7. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

I ll make a video right now to have a clear view! but i think that this means that those are for dispose?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. I see no probes to the positive cable. Also with a ohmmeter gauge check continuity in each cable and through your XT60 connector.

9. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

Once I had the same thing happen to me when I soldered a Dean connector to my friend's airsoft battery, just that it was charged but the gun just wouldn't work. I'm really good at soldering so I sat there with a ginormous question mark floating above my head. I never found out what it was coz my friend was in a hurry and had to leave with the work unfinished. And I had tried several times already, it was always the same result. As if there had been some weird insulation between the copper and the solder.

Hami21 likes this.
  10. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

here the video guys :/

Wildthing likes this.
  11. Is that a little circuit board on the top of the battery, if so when you shorted the wires it could have burnt a connection in the board. You need to be able to get at both sides and check continuity through every connection.

Hami21 likes this.
  12. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

I dont think that i cant find a way out... :( :( Remove the extra protectιon that cells have and now i have the cells clear! i cant found access underneath the board....:/

Wildthing likes this.
  13. My guess is you have a melted circuit in there so this is where you need to check the continuity between each point. Most cases you can repair it even if it is a circuit in the board.

Hami21 likes this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I have this issue with a battery and it is one of the balance wires that has come adrift.
    When measuring across the plug it reads 11.78 or even up to 12.4 but when you come to charge it says connection break.

Wildthing and Hami21 like this.
  15. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

The issue is that i dont know how to fix it... i thought it would be easy but i think that i have more chances on put a fire instead of fixing this battery.... :( NEW BATTERY I CANT BELIEVE THAT.... :(

16. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

The issue that in this case i dont have any volt on the main wires....negative positive... any idea what can i do? i open up the battery but i can see anything that is burned up or any sign of overheat... where should i pay attention to? I m afraid that i can cause a fire or anything :/

Wildthing likes this.
  17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I do not touch the batteries with a soldering iron as I am scared of blowing myself up.
    Sorry buddy I can`t help you out with this problem.
    If you don`t have any readings remove you`re xt60 and check the voltage on the bare wires as Malukk suggested.
    If that fails it looks like you will have to buy a new battery:(

Hami21 likes this.
  18. Hami21

Hami21 Ace Pilot

Hahaha that makes two of us my friend...Ι'm afraid that i have to buy a new one...as you already said...:/ Truth is that...i try to open it up a little bit more...and 2 of 3 cells gives me 3.9 volts but one cell dosent have any mesure...if i could somehow to change that cell?? is it worth it??

Wildthing likes this.
  19. Are you able to check right at the cell for voltage bypassing everything else?

Ohm meter gauge comes in handy also for checking continuity, Just checking for voltage is only part of trying to find a break in a circuit.

I have changed cells in a couple batteries, it's a bit of a pain and really have to be careful you don't short anything out while cutting and soldering and because I don't have large enough shrink wrap just duct taped it together when done.

20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Did you check the voltage before you tried to solder the new plug on?
    I think it seems strange that you lost a cell by only splashing the wires.

Hami21 and Wildthing like this.