Lipo Fire

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by FlyteTime, Nov 20, 2017.

1. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That is very scary:eek:
    But don`t let it put you off.
    DANG, you gone and mentioned fire! That will have FBK out with his hand held Howitzer:D

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  2. Yeah, what battery, I don't see one. Not anymore anyways. :D :D

Flybyknight22 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  3. Jimmyscott

Jimmyscott Rookie

Oh, my gosh, a risk. Luckily, everything is fine. Bless you.

Flybyknight22 and bogusbandit56 like this.
  4. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Thanks Jimmy, yeah I have a new found respect for these lipo batteries since that happened. I've been on YouTube looking at videos of them going off just sitting there not even being charged. I had a cavalier attitude towards them but not any more. I want all you guys to be more vigilant with them so nothing bad happens. You gotta get a protective way to store them. It's a fairly rare event but as the saying goes, better to be safe than sorry.

5. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

Have u tried the ESC with another battery or have u sent the thing back to get it replaced instead? I'm really curious if it really was the ESC (which as I've said before should be a pretty tough one due to its Amp rating) or in fact a faulty battery.

6. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I haven't sent it back yet but am in the next day or so. I don't have many extra batteries at this time so I don't want to risk another. We'll have to see what they find out when they get it. The battery compartment got toasted and it still smells awful from the toxic smoke so I'm crossing my fingers for a replacement.

Wildthing likes this.
  7. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

For that battery to react that fast, I would assume there was a direct dead short involved. Could've been in the esc, Or the battery. I do rather doubt it was the battery , just because of the way the events went down. I wouldn't be expecting a new battery. They can open it and know almost immediately what happened . It was either the battery , or an outside source. Stuff happens , trouble is it seems we are the ones who pay for it. Lucky you were on the ball . Imagine what could have went down if you panicked or worse yet weren't right there. We all know what has been preached about lipos. You mention the stink. There almost is nothing more life robbing than burning plastics and synthetics smoke , you won't last long.

FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  8. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Csitas yeah most likely a short. I will be surprised if it isn't the esc the way it went off when I tapped on it. I fortunately have very fast reflexes and reacted appropriately.
    Many years ago my truck was parked on a slight incline in the driveway, my parking brake wasn't working. I was in the house and looked out of the window and saw my 8 year old son jumping in the bed of the truck. All of a sudden the truck started rolling down the hill with him in the bed. It had slipped out of gear. I ran out of the house and covered about 70 feet and jumped in the drivers seat and stopped the truck before it traveled only about 20 feet! It was like a superhuman feat. I couldn't believe I was able to do that. There was no time to think just react. It could have been bad had I not stopped the truck. Gives me goosebumps thinking about it after 18 years! Probably the same phenomenon as a small person lifting a car off of someone who's trapped underneath.

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

Military surplus Ammo cans work well but these Lipo charging bags are also pretty good.

They take up less room and are easier to haul around especially to the field for flying.

Wildthing and FlyteTime like this.
  10. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Fly, I absconded an ammo can from my dad, he was storing documents in it. I feel better with the bats in there. Seems like the metal can would out perform the bags.

Flybyknight22, Wildthing and homey666 like this.
  11. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I now store my batteries in my new ammo box.
    7.62 FULL METAL JACKET.

Attached Files:

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  12. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,
    Thank God for Dads! :)

Ammo cans are good but so are the charging bags and I use both.

The bags work best for me when transporting a number of batteries to the flight field as they weigh less and don’t take up as much room in the rig when loaded with multiple planes to fly.

Ammo cans will do that also but take up more room and my batteries have a tendency to bash around inside when in transport so I switched over to the charging bags when in transport mode.

Wildthing likes this.
  13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Don’t get me started Ian,..

At least you didn’t say,.. FIRE! :p

bogusbandit56 and Wildthing like this.
  14. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

I mostly use multiple ammo cans for their original intended purpose,..

Storing ammunition :)

I have so much ammo of so many different calibers that I never have enough ammo cans for proper storage.

It’s a novel idea :p

Wildthing likes this.
  15. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Fly, your right about the ammo cans being good. One thing though,that I watched as an experiment. They found that the can should have at least a couple of smaller holes for vents. In the case of a fire,inside the can , like what a battery would make when it explodes, the vents keep the can from turning into a bomb. If there are know vents , gases from the fire build up until they ,themselves explode.Without watching this , you'd never believe the power involved.

16. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I didn't know that csitas, thanks for the tip. I'm going to check it out.

Wildthing likes this.
  17. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

"This is my rifle, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun." What an awesome movie BB.

18. muttandjeff02

muttandjeff02 Airman

Hi guys I have also read that the ammo cans are really good but must be vented. Also I line the cans with dollar tree, or any cheep foam, on the sides, bottom and top. This just to insure there is no chance of a battery connection touching metal. And the vent holes should drilled on the sides, not on top, again in case of a fire so you can pick the ammo can up and pitch it.

19. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

One of my favourite movies, I only watch the first 20 minutes. The movie goes down hill after Gunny Hartman is shot and private Pyle shoots himself in the head in the head. No I have not repeated in the head because the head is the Navy slang for the bathroom.
    So why is it called the head. Is it because the ships bathroom was so disgusting you would only use it when suffering from turtle head?
    No, it harks back to sailing ships where the crew would hang their arses over the side at the front of the ship commonly known as the head of the ship.
    It would have made more sense to do it at the back of the ship but that is where the Captain had his cabin I suppose.

20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Good idea. I was thinking there could be a chance of shorting on the steel box.