Lipo Fire

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by FlyteTime, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Not sure why I’m even in the forum as I am in a tree stand right now deer hunting.

:p

Shannon, FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  2. herbiehoss

herbiehoss Rookie

Ammo boxes are the best and cheapest storage containers for LIPOS out there.

Shannon, Flybyknight22 and FlyteTime like this.
  3. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I'm glad to get all the info I can guys, definitely learning something today. FBK, the specs for the car calls for 25C rated battery and my Zippy Compact is 25C so maybe it wasn't the battery. I'm back to thinking the esc crapped out on me but who knows. I'm hoping Hobbico will take the thing back and give me a new one ;). Until then it's still a mystery.
    That's true dedication to the community FBK, hope you had your volume down so the alerts don't scare off the deer. Did you see anything today? Are you bow hunting or using a rifle? I used to deer hunt but I can't stand the cold weather or getting up early!

Shannon, Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Your buggy story has finally scared me into buying an ammo tin for storing my batteries.
    Cheers, Ian.

Shannon, Wildthing and FlyteTime like this.
  5. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I hear you buddy, you and I will definitely sleep better at night.:) I was wondering if there was a limit to how many should be stored in one tin? If one goes off surely a chain reaction would ensue. But the tins are made to hold many rounds of ammo so I guess 4 or 5 of them in there wouldn't be a problem.

Shannon and Wildthing like this.
  6. The only problem if you store a whole bunch in 1 bin, if one goes they all go. ;)

Shannon and FlyteTime like this.
  7. I still think take one of your older batteries, 3S any size and give it a whirl again. One or two short little blasts shouldn't burn up anything, If by chance you cook another battery in a couple seconds I have a hard time believing it's a bad battery. If it has a hard time initializing the esc stop there and start re-soldering all of your connectors including the motor leads. then try it again.

Flybyknight22, Shannon and FlyteTime like this.
  8. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I'm not sure if it's up to another attempt. I was looking at it a little while ago and noticed a small circuit board with 2 capacitors on it was burned. Looks like they were damaged by the heat of the lipo going up. Not sure what their function is but I'm probably gonna just box it up and send it back to the manufacturer and see what they say. All the wiring looked good, motor to esc wires were good, no places for contact with each other although I'll take FBK's advice from now on and tape the connectors for safety. My XT60 to deans converter cable was soldered well with no bare spots in it. Hopefully they'll come back and say it was the esc's fault and gimme a new car. ;)

Wildthing likes this.
  9. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Hey Flyte,

Hmmm, 25C is fairly low so that’s probably not the culprit.

Yeah, audio muted, I have an iPhone holder to video the shoot sometimes when I’m in the woods.

I’ve tagged out with my bow and rifle.

I have several different Mathews bows but right now I’m shooting an older Mathews Ovation. It’s more of a 3-D target shooting bow but that makes it more forgiving than some of the shorter ones.

I’m into “forgiveness”, Big time :)

This years rifle was a Weatherby Magnum 300.

Today I was using a Smith and Wesson 460XVR revolver. It’s capable of 2 inch groups out to 250 yards but I’m not.

With my eyes and shaken hands I’ve sighted it in at 100 yards.

At that range I can hit a bullseye every once and awhile,... that is when and if I can hold it still :)
    AAE25DE4-E142-408D-BF1B-00EFB37A55F7.jpeg

Shannon, Wildthing and FlyteTime like this.
  10. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

Those are some awesome guns man. I have a friend that has a Weatherby 300. I was afraid to shoot it. I'm a pretty small guy weighing only 130 lbs. so I valued my shoulder too much to give it a go, lol. He was shooting at a target nailed to a pine tree about 150 yards away and it was taking big chunks out of the tree. Quite impressive. I looked up that revolver and that thing is a cannon. 2300 f.p.s from a handgun, holy crap. Is that the .45 Colt it's chambered for? Makes Dirty Harry's gun look like a plinker:D. "Do you feel lucky, Mr. Deer?" Hahaha.

Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  11. Well if you have to send pictures of the battery to the manufacturer just make sure the XT60 connector and your extension is not in the picture. ;)

12. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

What XT60 connector? I know not what you speak of. ;)

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  13. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Gotta just say Flyte,

The 460 extreme velocity revolver (XVR) is the most versatile, fastest velocity and most powerful production revolver on the planet.

Nothing else even comes close,.. nothing!

The gun shoots and is chambered for 4-different calibers of ammo without “ANY” modifications between shoots/shots.

It fires the 460 Magnum.
    It shoots the 454 Casull.
    It shoots the 45 long colt.
    It shoots the 45 Schofield.

Load up any of the four or any combination of the four different rounds in the gun and start shooting.

Never ever seen anything that can do all the things this gun can do.

The 460 Magnum round is even bigger than the S&W 500 mag.

The pistol can do 2 inch groups out to and beyond 200 yards with the 460 mag rounds.

The 460XVR while a little on the heavy side, is very well balanced and incredibly accurate even with the iron sights.

With 45 long colts it’s a very very docile gun to shoot. Things get a little tougher with the 454 Casull and off the chain when shooting the 460 mag ammo.

2300 feet per second is fast for the 460 mag round but even the 200 grain 454 Casull can do almost 1900 FPS out of this gun and that is mostly what I shoot out of it.

I have a fixed 4x Leupold pistol scope on it. Just about any other pistol scope other than the Leupold falls apart shooting the 460 mag round.

The muzzle break helps s little when shooting the 460 mag loads but it still has a lot of recoil.

I own over a 100 guns of all types, pistols, long guns, shot guns, combat assault weapons from the U.S. and foreign countries around the world, you name it and I probably own it but this
    Smith & Wesson 460XVR is the very very best commercially available firearm I have ever put my mits on.

Here is a pic of the ammo comparisons.

5795EA92-E610-40D6-B4A4-C1EA7553EFCE.jpeg
    The muzzle flash is a fireworks display shooting the 460 mag ammo. Here I am shooting it.

D7EA8A6F-E336-436A-8B85-796A621F0BC7.jpeg

It’s also an entertaining little tool on range day.

First time I took it to the range and squeezed off a shot everybody stopped shooting. I turned around and about 40 people were behind me and the range master said:

“WHAT THE F*** WAS THAT!” :)

This gun is so much fun!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    Wildthing and FlyteTime like this.
  14. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

I had no idea you could fire all those different rounds out of it. Over 100 guns? How many gun safes do you own?

Wildthing and Flybyknight22 like this.
  15. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,

Oh, I don’t know, about 5 I guess and a couple of gun lockers that I wouldn’t call safes but not all my weapons stay locked up either.

If they are all locked up you can’t fend off Nut jobs or home invasions etc :) and everyone in my posse carries concealed.

I have three sons and three daughters all of which shoot, including my wife. My Boys are all prior military like me and they were all raised around Firearms and taught gun safety and how to shoot properly, including my girls.

My wife has almost as many guns of her own as she does purses and she has a boat load of purses :)

I have a redneck shooting range of sorts on my farm and we do quite a bit of shooting.

All my kids also Bow hunt and we have numerous 3-D targets for that. A significant portion of our get together time is focused around shooting of some kind or another.

It can be an exspensive sport if you let it get out of hand and a 100 or so may sound like a bunch but a couple of retired police officers and Highway Patrol buddies of mine have 300 or more each.

It was s tax write off for them and that’s one reason they have so many.

I have what I have I guess because I enjoy the sport, collecting and I do a lot of hunting of all kinds.

Lots of folks around my neck of the woods own multiple Firearms. It’s not out of the ordinary around here like I guess it is in some places around the country.

Anyway I’m glad you appreciate the 460XVR.

You said you weigh in around 130?

I’m at 235 lbs and the 460 rocks me a little everytime I pull the trigger :)

One of my boys was a Marine, is 6’ 6” and weighs in at about 325 lbs and he cusses when he shoots it :p

FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  16. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Here you go Flyte,

This is me shooting a 460 Magnum round in slow motion. Notice a slight bit of recoil :)

This is near two slabs of foam that we use for Bow practice.

After the shot if you listen close you can hear one of my boys videoing the shot, snickering in the background.

FlyteTime and Wildthing like this.
  17. :D :D :D

FlyteTime likes this.
  18. :D :D , now I want to see you do it with one in each hand!!!!!!!!!! ps, at the same time. Build up them pipes. ;)

Flybyknight22 and FlyteTime like this.
  19. FlyteTime

FlyteTime Ace Pilot

That s.o.b. is meaner than a junkyard dog! Slight bit of recoil, hahaha. I guess when you take a shot at a deer with that bad mamajama the hunt is over for the day. You could hear that thing for miles around. I love it!

Flybyknight22 and Wildthing like this.
  20. Flybyknight22

Flybyknight22 Top Gun

Flyte,
    Are you jerking my chain? :)

You have a Deans connector and an xt60 connector on your battery lengthening the lead.

If you use a gender changer you can shorten the lead.

The gender changer in the lower left has a Red Deans on one end and a Yellow xt60 on the other.

F0577284-9AFE-4981-A4EF-759105703648.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Wildthing likes this.