Keeping RCPowers Alive!

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by F1wanabe, Apr 26, 2018.

1. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

12.jpg
    20180426_210842.jpg 20180426_205544.jpg 20180426_205637.jpg Dev-28.JPG
    As of July 30, 2018 Dave will be closing down RCPowers. Because RCPowers is such a powerful and positive resource for both beginner and advanced parkjet builders and fliers, we cannot let that happen! Dave’s YouTube videos are so entertaining and informative that they suck you into the hobby and once you’re here at the forum, you find that it is beginner friendly but has the knowledge base of experienced RC Parkjet veterans. Dave broke down the awesome looking parkjet designs for the beginner but built crazy planes like the hovering SU37 or X36 tailless plane- both with gyros before gyros were good and cheap- pushing all the technology available! I myself was taken under the wings of guys like Dave, Scott Lott, Crankshaw and JettaManDan with their non judgmental tutoring of a newbie F1wanabe- such a different experience from other sites. They helped me through my first builds (and the failures that followed) and before I knew it, I was landing planes with NO DAMAGE! That’s a recurring theme here and it's all down to Dave and the way he runs the forum. I made lots of friends on the forum along the way including Jay (Boxermad84), my partner at FRCFoamies.

A few years ago, Dave and Shannon gave Jay and I a place on the forum for our FRCFoamies plans and we found a synergy that worked well and we learned a lot from them about presentation and promotion. They didn’t have to do it but they did and they asked nothing in return. So, when Dave mentioned to me that he would need to close down RCPowers in order to concentrate on another important venture, I knew we could not let RCPowers die. Beginning July 30th, RCPowers will become… RCPowers! It will have a slightly different name (very slightly) but our purpose is to maintain the forum as it is in order to continue what Dave Powers has created. We hope that you’ll all feel right at home on the forum- that is the main objective here. A forum where new builders and fliers can feel comfortable around and benefit from the experienced builders and fliers.

Over the next couple months we’ll update this thread with information. Your current user accounts will transfer over to the new forum in order to make it "painless.” All active threads will transfer as well as thread attachments and we will make the change happen with minimal loss of posts as the forum is transferred. As we get closer to July 30th we’ll fill in more of the details. If anyone has questions, this is the place to ask them! Also, anyone who would like to share their RCPowers experience as I have done above? Post it here! I'm sure Dave, Shannon and everyone else would love to hear it.

In the meantime, as Dave says
    HERE be sure to download all of the plans that are still on your RCPowers account and keep them safe on your hard drive, google drive, iCloud, a memory stick, in a safety deposit box, etc. Keep them safe!

Finally, a big thank you to Dave and Shannon for all their hard work over the years making this hobby accessible to all. We'll keep the forum going for whenever they want to check in and we hope to see them on the new forum often!

All the best,
    Greg
    FRCFoamies

lysle42, Skydiver, Lgel and 15 others like this.
  2. jimbosflyin

jimbosflyin Top Gun

Thanks so much greg for keeping the forum up,we would be lost with out it.I would like to send my appeciation to Dave and Shannon and wish them luck in all their future ventures.They will be missed but not and never will be forgotten.

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 9 others like this.
  3. I am so glad you will keep the site running Greg. This is my go to site and has been since I started building my first foamie only a few years ago. Many thanks to Dave and Shannon, without you I wouldn't have found this super hobby , plus all the incredible people I have met through this forum. Best wishes on your new venture.

Cheers
    Jeff

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 12 others like this.
  4. Hey, do we lose our points????? ;)

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 8 others like this.
  5. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Good question!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 6 others like this.
  6. Just kidding, it's not like they are worth anything. :)

7. homey666

homey666 Top Gun

Thanks to Dave, Shannon, Scott and you, Greg for making this such a great journey!
    I'm a relative newbie, but have slowly progressed to the point where I've had a few planes for a couple of years.....amazing!
    I'm the best nose fixer around!
    I check this site many times a day without fail and learn something every day.
    Let's keep it going!

Peter (Homey)

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 12 others like this.
  8. FED50H

FED50H Administrator

Sad to see them go. It was RCPs F117 video that got me hooked....and then saw that JMD was local. Met at a field to see an actual built plane vs bought. Now my room is full, as are my memories. Glad to see the forum will continue. I do look at other sites, but it is hard to beat the positivity and advice here. Heck, maybe Dave will be able to stop in occasionally for fun, without the added stress of running it...good luck to you with your pursuits Dave.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  9. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

Many good memories and experiences throughout my time here. And that will continue on the new site as well.

10. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Same for me, I watched a video of dave flying the mig 29 v1 until it was in pieces! I was hooked from that moment on, I learnt so much from him and his videos plus this amazing forum, so sad but yet I'm glad Greg is carrying it on and we can all carry on enjoying its benefits!

Jay, from www.frcfoamies.com

11. F1wanabe

F1wanabe Administrator

Hey, what do you mean "Greg", you're in this too partner!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lysle42, Grabber5.0, Ziegmont and 7 others like this.
  12. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

Haha, who me?

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 5 others like this.
  13. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

Bitter sweet is what comes my mind.

I had stumbled around a couple years trying to make a few slices of foam... fly. I had seen it done but I just couldn't exactly "get there". As many others have written already I had found a home running across RCPowers in my ever quest of researching this 'thing'.

I had very quietly started reading and by instinct kept my head low knowing already the typical reception that most message board sites offer to their newbies..... fresh meat!! Much to my chagrin the information I was mining was well presented, offered photo's and even video clips all right right there at my finger tips. This went on for about 6 months, me gleaning what I am looking for and watching the flow of conversation and content. What did catch me off guard was that layer of snot was missing if someone was to asked that dreaded " dumb ass question". People are actually helping and coaching others ?

Somewhere between then and today .... I had made some amazing contacts, forged some genuine friends and I even !! .. learned to build a decent airplane along the way.

Wishing all the best to the original core team of development bringing to life a simple childhood dream ... to fly. Dave and Shannon and Scott, keep the energy turning and I have always admired you folks for your ambition.

F1wannabe ... dewd ... got yer hands full now

This will be a fun and exciting change I believe. The thrill is in the journey and not necessarily the destination.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 11 others like this.
  14. Bobfrog

Bobfrog Airman

I returned to RC airplanes last summer after about a 15 year layoff. When I discovered RCPowers I thought I had hit the jackpot. The best site for learning and building. It was so well produced and managed I thought why can't other sites be so well detailed. I built my first parkjet (SU-34) and was immediately a convert. Excellent plans and support and planes that flew so well even a beginner (again) could make them fly wonderfully.

This forum is now a regular part of my daily routine. Many friendly people with expertise that has helped me progress in the hobby. I get so much enjoyment out of this site and really appreciate the comfortable ambiance that goes with it. It really makes this hobby FUN! Greg and Jay I wish you nothing but success in keeping this site alive. If there is anything I can do to help out please let me know and I will do my best to provide assistance.

Thank you so much to Dave and Shannon for demonstrating how things can be done to perfection. All the best on your new ventures but please return when you can to add to the fun.

15. Airforce101

Airforce101 Top Gun

First off, I would like to thank Dave, Shannon, Scott and the others that have made rcpowers what it is today. It has brought considerable contribution to the rc world, and joy to many.

Secondly, I wonder if I missed the part that says "why". Don't get me wrong, I don't feel I am owed an explanation at all, but it would help in understanding the decision and give it some context.

Obviously, I know nothing lasts forever. I can only guess how much effort it has taken over the years to run rcpowers. So, with or without Dave's further explanation, there will be absolutely no judgement from me: I am very grateful for the joy rcpowers has brought me.

Greg and Jay, a big thank you for taking over / continueing the forum! I wish you the best of luck and hope the community will stay as awesome as it has been over the years, for many years to come.

lysle42, Jagger35, Ziegmont and 9 others like this.
  16. Boxermad84

Boxermad84 Administrator

We will do our very best to keep it as awesome as it is today! This place is to good to let go!

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 11 others like this.
  17. mastermalpass086

mastermalpass086 Ace Pilot

Many thanks for RC Powers for bringing us an experience no one else has! Though I didn't get my first scratchbuild in the air 'til 2015, I'd been watching the RCSuperPowers channel since '08 and I may, to this day, still be stuck in the simulator if it weren't for them and this awesome community!

Big ups to FRC for picking up the flag as well! We all need to retire from our big projects some day, but not all projects have to retire when guys like you are around to take the stick!

18. JettaManDan

JettaManDan Administrator

The why is simple...they have moved on to other projects that are taking their time away from the forums. So they decided to move it on to other stewards.

19. dangermouse650

dangermouse650 Ace Pilot

Well, without this website i would probably have quit, i bought 2 store planes, no clubs ,no guidance and trashed them, found rcpowers, built the su-30 v4, crashed the hell out of it but it flew and flew until it was nothing but hot glue........:) Many thanks to all who kept me going. I still crash planes very regularly, but it is not so hard to fix them now :)

gibby1117, lysle42, Ziegmont and 9 others like this.
  20. XDmToter

XDmToter Ace Pilot

This is so sad to hear. Like many others, RCPowers is where I learned to fly RC. Dave's video of the F-22 V2 was the one that caught my eye, and got me hooked. Since then, I have built countless parkjets and other foamies, and introduced others to this great hobby.

Many Thanks to Dave and the rest of the RCPowers Team!

lysle42, Ziegmont, borg187 and 5 others like this.