Idea for a really simple trainer-student system!

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by DualDesertEagle, Nov 24, 2017.

1. DualDesertEagle

DualDesertEagle Ace Pilot

I've been thinking about trainer-student systems for a while and how I could make my own for cheap since I really wanna teach a friend of mine how to fly RC planes.

While "trainer-student system" is the correct literal translation of "Lehrer-Schüler System", I'm not sure if it's actually called that in english, so let me explain real quick:

With the presented term I associate a system that consists of 2 transmitters of which one can override the control inputs of the other. However, as long as the trainer doesn't do anything the student is in control of the plane. But if the trainer needs to save the plane after the student fked up he can take control of the plane in a split second and level the plane out / do whatever needs to be done to prevent a crash.

An idea of how to do that has been in my head for some time but i never had a good idea on how exactly to pull it off. That has changed this morning.

Now we probably all know that our sticks are "read out" by potentiometers connected to the main PCBs of our transmitters with some wiring, unless they are PCB-mounted all-in-one parts like on a gaming controller. My idea was to use a bunch of relay switches to be able to switch between the sticks of the trainer's transmitter and those of the student's transmitter (which are linked together with a cable) at the push of a button. It would even be possible to do this for every axis individually in order to have the student learn what the effect of each axis is first.

I'm willing to risk both of my transmitters to try this idea out since there really isn't a whole lot to go wrong and as an electronics technician everything else should be an easy repair for me.

Let me know what u think of this idea. I'll post the results after trying it out and if more of u guys want the system I'll make a schematic of the wiring. Just be warned that relay switches may draw alot more power while they're on, I just don't know of any better way yet to switch between 2 sets of control sticks.

2. notamedclosed

notamedclosed Ace Pilot

I’m not sure if I’m missing something but this is common functionality of many RC controllers.

Master/trainer setup can be done even with controllers of different brands (though for example some spectrums have the ability to do it wirelessly).

I use my Taranis and a 9XR for training my son and other interested people. I give them control with a momentary switch, I can even select if they can control all or only some of the channels. For example, I normally control throttle and only give them aileron and elevator. If they start to panic I let go of the momentary switch and I’m back in control.

e3_Scott likes this.
  3. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

You want a simple trainer cable. But make sure you get the right one for your radios.

Wildthing and e3_Scott like this.
  4. DualDesertEagle

Both of my TXes are cheap 4-channel ones that have a hole, but not a connector for such cables, so I'll have to build that all by myself.

Wildthing likes this.
  5. csitas

csitas Ace Pilot

Dual , Ive done one . It's not that big of a deal. I've used the cable about three or so years. now. i better add that it was for the Fly sky system.I used the older cable ,just redone it. My problem is I'm loosing flyers. 2 have gone to college aro engineering. I'm happy for them. 2 more lost to high school and probally girls. I have three left. Quiet for now , till spring maybe.

6. DualDesertEagle

Guess I should've added that the way I'm going is for people who only have transmitters that don't support that stuff by default and don't wanna spend the money for new ones that do.

Plus, with the homemade system that I have in mind the trainer can give the trainee control of any axis individually and lock all the others to himself. That way the trainee can learn what each stick input does while the trainer can make sure to keep the plane straight along the other axes.

Like I said, I'll post the results and the schematics for anyone interested in this.